Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocal Harmony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robthemuso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Vocal Harmony Reply with quote

Hi. I have a Pa1x pro and a Pa4x. I use the Pa1x 5 nights a week very successfully and to be honest I rely on the vocal harmonizer to help my mediocre vocals. I have programmed the VH and it sounds great however I am having trouble getting a decent harmony from the Pa4x. Firstly, can I load the harmony settings from the pa1x to the pa4x, and if not what settings are others useing? I have tried numerous different setting but just can't get a full 4 part harmony like the pa1x. This stopping me from useing the 4x on gigs and I need to sort it. Any help or suggestions please?
Rob
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob
Quote:
I am having trouble getting a decent harmony from the Pa4x

Could you please explain what you are unhappy with. I use VH a lot and in fact I find the PA4X VH far improved from my PA1X.
Are you meaning quality of sound or settings etc etc?

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
robthemuso

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete.
Quality of sound is excellent. I'm sure my problem is with the settings I am useing. It is so difficult to spend time getting a good sound at home then finding the same mix on stage sounds totally different. Maybe it would be best if I use a factory setup rather than a user. Do you have any recommendations?
Rob
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob - Was hoping for some responses to your post but no help available evidently. For what it's worth, I continue to struggle with the VH and my KB never moves from my studio!

With help from others on our forum and one other, I was able to solve the warbling issue that I mentioned in another post. However, I continue to feel the VH could be better. I had another chance to demo the Genos version. IMO it's way better than the 4X in almost every respect. I know many on this forum disagree, which leads me to beleive I have my VH set up poorly but no one seems to be willing to share settings.

Maybe someone would be more willing to respond to a specific complaint.
The next time I get into this, I will try to carefully describe what I don't like, the settings in use, etc. Maybe you could do the same but I would guess there is little time for analysis while setting up for a gig.

Best Regards
robthemuso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron. I'm glad I'm not alone regarding this issue, I thought it was just me and poor settings and that may be the case. I have reverted to useing factory setting for my VH and they just don't sound good. It would be nice if someone would share their settings so we can at least try others success. I am just looking for a decent 4 part harmony one voice above (female) and two or three below. Still useing the old Pa1x pro which has a great VH but I really want to take the pa4x on stage. I've had it for a year now and only used it on gigs a handful of times.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With help from others on our forum and one other, I was able to solve the warbling issue that I mentioned in another post. However, I continue to feel the VH could be better. I had another chance to demo the Genos version. IMO it's way better than the 4X in almost every respect.

Hmmmm spent some time on the Genos and its VH which has the same low quality as its predecessors. So this really makes me wonder exactly what you are hearing and I would seriously like to help. Maybe I could try your set-up on my PA4X.
I absolutely love the VH on the PA4 it's the best so far. How can I help? Can you at least provide an MP3 of your problem?

Yamaha since the PSR900+ including Tyros and Genos have the horrid problem like in this video (check it out at 1:10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzfX2VjkLPs - this is exactly how my Yamaha PSRs910 and Tyros sounded - VH unacceptable for performing so PLEASE thoroughly check out Genos if you are thinking of buying one.

Let me know if I can help.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly as my learned friend Pete says!!
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - Spent a bit of time playing with the VH parameters today. Specifically in reference to your comment that things that sound ok in your studio don't necessarily sound good at the gig. Mostly making small changes to the CHORD preset to see what happens. Probably no surprise to you, but I found that preset reverb changes (Page 551 E17 manual) have quite an effect. I would guess that you must have to adjust at least this parameter when you move from home to the gig.

Maybe others are aware of other location sensitive parameters.

I intend to work more with this as I have time. Will keep you posted perhaps by PM. Please do the same if you make some headway with this.

Regards
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A seemingly minor point which nevertheless can be annoying: Mic placement.

In tight spaces it's difficult to do much about, but make sure your vocal mic isn't picking up sound from the pa system, especially if the speakers are behind you - even if they are off to the side a bit. In effect, the harmoniser will be trying to harmonise the harmony coming from the pa speakers. Seems a bit obvious, but worth noting.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree completely with "GINER" This was the exact cause of the warbling that I complained about in another post. Mic gain, lips close to the mic, and trying not to sign too softly all helped. The warbling was very obvious but there was probably other feedback taking place that was also causing distortion. That said, I'm not sure why the 4X should be different than the 1X.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron. I preferred the harmoniser in the Pa1x over the Pa3x. When I got the Pa3x I duplicated, as best I could, the settings I used in the Pa1x. There was/is a difference although I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. I just think the Pa3x is somehow 'less forgiving' - that's the best I can put it. I'll have a look into your preset reverb ideas, though. Then again, you're talking Pa4x so there'll likely be some variance again.

Addendum: I'll be over in the UK next week and savouring the delights of the VH on a friend's Tyros 4. Did I just say "delights" - er, NOT. Wink
Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had various issues with the VH on the 4. I do not run my mic through the PA4.
I use a home made cable XLR on the end I stick into the PA4 mic and the other end quarter round into one of the Auxs on my Bose T8S mixer.
I use CH 1 on my mixer for the my mic. I use only two of the presets from the VH = 2 high and 2 up 1 down. It took me quite some time to get the volumes set so everything would blend.
I use a Neumann KMS 105 for my vocals which requires me to get close to the mic. So far so good with few if any adjustments from room to room.

It takes a lot of patience with adjustments. By experience I think you have to be very old (7Cool and retired so you'll have plenty of time to figure these things out. Take cae all.

Chuck, Ohio, USA
Old fingers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: