Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos pricing - what's going on?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelees

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Kronos pricing - what's going on? Reply with quote

Noticed today that (at least in the UK), many shops are selling the Kronos 61 and 73 both for the same discounted price of £2299. Kronos 88 more expensive, but still slightly discounted.

Wondering if they're clearing out stock for something? Is the same happening elsewhere in the world?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should ask your country distributor to get beyond guess work

the 2299 price in your country currency is within $100 of the US price

My guess its a local adjustment to get in range with with the largest market- US.
And possibly sales were lagging in your country and an adjustment was over due.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos pricing - what's going on? Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:
Noticed today that (at least in the UK), many shops are selling the Kronos 61 and 73 both for the same discounted price of £2299. Kronos 88 more expensive, but still slightly discounted.

Wondering if they're clearing out stock for something? Is the same happening elsewhere in the world?

Here in France, the Kronos SE is sold for the same price than before. So the former Kronos are discounted too.

For example :
Korg Kronos SE 61 : 3299 €
Korg Kronos 61 : 2749 €

That's the point where we pay 550 € for the same keyboard exactly the same functions, just for two added sound banks.
Oh, no, I forgot : there is some red paint too !!

Another example :

Korg Kronos SE 88 : 3999 €
Korg Kronos 88 : 3129 €

Completely crazy : 870 € price difference !! No comment !! What kind of gear would you buy for this difference ? Yes, I know : the same seller sells the Moog Grandmother for 899 € !!

Was the red paint so expensive ? Are there some gold flakes in it ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos pricing - what's going on? Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
mikelees wrote:

Here in France, the Kronos SE is sold for the same price than before. So the former Kronos are discounted too.

For example :
Korg Kronos SE 61 : 3299 €
Korg Kronos 61 : 2749 €

That's the point where we pay 550 € for the same keyboard exactly the same functions, just for two added sound banks.
Oh, no, I forgot : there is some red paint too !!

Another example :

Korg Kronos SE 88 : 3999 €
Korg Kronos 88 : 3129 €

Completely crazy : 870 € price difference !! No comment !! What kind of gear would you buy for this difference ? Yes, I know : the same seller sells the Moog Grandmother for 899 € !!

Was the red paint so expensive ? Are there some gold flakes in it ?

Good you posted that. I was thinking Korg has to make pricing room for the new SE. I can't speak to retailer pricing in your country.

the 2015 Kronos should be cheaper than the SE. So once the dust settles, maybe this is why a 4 year old model might drop in price.
mgibian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far here in the US, it looks like the price of the Kronos SE is equal to the price of the non-SE model of the same size. I might go for the non-SE model as the SE ship date appears to have slipped over a month already. Don't understand why given how few the differences are?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgibian wrote:
So far here in the US, it looks like the price of the Kronos SE is equal to the price of the non-SE model of the same size. I might go for the non-SE model as the SE ship date appears to have slipped over a month already. Don't understand why given how few the differences are?

'don't understand why the ship date has slipped '
Not clear if thats your question.

Our SE thread expounds on the diff between the SE and the 2015 Kronos
mgibian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be too brief ...

I just ran into the fact that my store did not get their SE stock in late February as had been committed. Instead they now expect them from Korg at the end of March. I don't understand why Korg would be having trouble manufacturing them on schedule given they are the same hardware as the non-SE models. No retooling, no new parts (other than a different color for the case).

Also doesn't make sense to be selling both the SE and non-SE models of each size at the same price? IF both were available, why would anyone buy the non-SE model unless they hate red?
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgibian wrote:

I just ran into the fact that my store did not get their SE stock in late February as had been committed. Instead they now expect them from Korg at the end of March. I don't understand why Korg would be having trouble manufacturing them on schedule given they are the same hardware as the non-SE models. No retooling, no new parts (other than a different color for the case).

Also doesn't make sense to be selling both the SE and non-SE models of each size at the same price? IF both were available, why would anyone buy the non-SE model unless they hate red?

Great point!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one precision : Kronos SE is said to be available within 6/7 weeks in the european Web shop I mentionned earlier. The prices are those I said.
[url]
https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D&sw=korg+kronos&smcs=19a516_1382
[/url]
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgibian wrote:

1]I just ran into the fact that my store did not get their SE stock in late February as had been committed. Instead they now expect them from Korg at the end of March.

2]I don't understand why Korg would be having trouble manufacturing them on schedule given they are the same hardware as the non-SE models. No retooling, no new parts (other than a different color for the case).

1] Committed by who ? I recall that Korg @ NAMM said March was the estimate for the SE. [not Feb]

2] I understand it. Its a totally new chassis. Its not about splashing red paint on an old chassis. Plus it has 2 new EX's.
Both are significant changes and the assembly process has to be reworked to allow for this new model.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

2] I understand it. Its a totally new chassis. Its not about splashing red paint on an old chassis. Plus it has 2 new EX's.
Both are significant changes and the assembly process has to be reworked to allow for this new model.

Sorry Greg but I'm not sure about your second point. I've verified : the dimensions (1040 x 364 x 134 mm for Kronos 61), weight (14,3 kg) are exactly the same on both cases, the inside hardware is exactly the same (motherboard, memory, SSD,etc...) The wooden flanks are similarly cut.

I think this is exactly the same chassis and same assembly.

As regards the new piano and the other bank, really, it's not a big job to do. Just two sound banks to add.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:

Sorry Greg but I'm not sure about your second point. I've verified : the dimensions (1040 x 364 x 134 mm for Kronos 61), weight (14,3 kg) are exactly the same on both cases, the inside hardware is exactly the same (motherboard, memory, SSD,etc...) The wooden flanks are similarly cut.

As regards the new piano and the other bank, really, it's not a big job to do. Just two sound banks to add.

Chassis is different color. End cheeks are black, and extra programming

Assembly should be 100% automated. My guess is the assembly path involves
A few more turns for the SE

Just my guess, yours is as good as mine
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:

Chassis is different color. End cheeks are black, and extra programming

Assembly should be 100% automated. My guess is the assembly path involves
A few more turns for the SE

Just my guess, yours is as good as mine

Yes, agree about colors.
One more thing, quite weird : I went on Korg's website. I was expecting to see the Kronos SE directly on one of the first page. In fact, nothing of the sort.
In order to see the Kronos SE we first have to click on "Synthesizer", then on a classic Kronos picture, then scrolling down the page until you can read "Kronos Special Edittion".

Even in the name itself : it is not "New Edition" but only special edition.

As if Korg wanted to keep his Special Edition on back shop !!

I think it's a very special way to highlight a so called "new product". We could expect something more enlighted.
matro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard Kronos 2 have been discounted for a while here in Sweden. The SE is however sold at the original Kronos 2 "list price".
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Yes, agree about colors.
One more thing, quite weird : I went on Korg's website. I was expecting to see the Kronos SE directly on one of the first page. In fact, nothing of the sort.
In order to see the Kronos SE we first have to click on "Synthesizer", then on a classic Kronos picture, then scrolling down the page until you can read "Kronos Special Edittion".

Even in the name itself : it is not "New Edition" but only special edition.

As if Korg wanted to keep his Special Edition on back shop !!

I think it's a very special way to highlight a so called "new product". We could expect something more enlighted.

is this where you are navigating ? :

https://www.korg.com/us/

if so, I think the main Korg web site is created or run by Korg USA.

I also noticed the under stated 'promotion ' of the SE. They are not splashing it heavily as a new product. Its a small thumb nail on the home page.

Then I have to run thru the navigation to dig out the SE;
Products/Synthesizers Keyboards

Not much on YT demos. either.

Marketing is its own animal with most co's, IMO. Decisions are made on product placement, promotion, etc etc.

I agree with you. SE looks to be presented as just another keyboard on the product family. In terms of marketing/promotion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: