Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching patterns live (end mode?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
urbanorangutan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Switching patterns live (end mode?) Reply with quote

Hi there, I recently bought a volca FM and I am having a crazy amount of fun with it. I am a songwriter who performs solo and with a band, and I would like to use the fm to flesh out my arrangements for solo shows. For songs that have multiple parts (most of them do) I need to use multiple patterns, often non-consecutively, but I am finding it very easy to mess up the timing of the switch so that I need to restart my po-12 to line up the bars again... Not something you want to happen while performing live. And so, my question is this:

Is there are way to set the volca so that it changes patterns after the current pattern finishes? It would make performing a song much easier. I have been searching online about it but can't find a definitive answer one way or another. My guess is the answer is "No" because I haven't seen anything in the manual about it.

Do I just need to practice doing the switch at exactly the moment I need it to happen? Any tips?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, the Volca FM has the chaining mode. It means it will chain a number of 16 step sequences after each other.

How to use it:
* hold MEMORY button
* touch 2 of the 16 keyboard buttons at once. E.g. 3 and 12.
* hit play
The sequencer now will play in a chain sequences 3, 4, ... to 12 and restart again.

One thing to take into account: each sequence stores also the program number it is recorded with. I.e. when the sequencer jumps from sequence x to x+1, it will also switch the program. You can get around this by storing your sequences all with the same program. Another way is to start the sequencer and then quickly dial in the right program. For some reason, all the different sequences play then with the selected program, the switching does not occur.

It opens some more possibilities, i.e. you can use longer sequences than 16 steps, but it is still not the dynamic switching you are looking after.

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: