Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a teacher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flabis66

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: looking for a teacher Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've got my Kronos last October and was just jamming while exploring combis and Programs till now. I've just record a simple piano song with Quicktime ^^. But now i'm learning the manuals and trying to create songs. But i have tons of questions, things I don't understand, why i have a good sound, and 2 minutes later, the sound is completely different (without touching the buttons or parameters), why sometimes i have sound and then no sound, why one of my track is continuously changing his prog. by itself? ...

Anybody here who would like to teach me through Skype or Facetime? I'm ready to pay for your time or to help you with something else. I'm not looking for a professional teacher, just someone who knows very well the Kronos II.
And it will only for a few hours, the time to create just one song from A to Z and understand all the steps.
(my knowledge level: I can already play piano, compose songs with LogicPro and create midi files with my Clavinova CVP Arranger piano)
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No viable Skype setup here at the moment, unfortunately. Used it a while back but results were disappointing, and spending time off-grid doesn't help. Some Kronos issues could probably be addressed via posts on the forum. Playing the Kronos is usually very rewarding, but if something unexplained happens, it can understandably get a little frustrating.

Sounds fading in and out usually come from pre-installed sound expansion packs that have not been yet been authorised. They are there to tempt the owner to experience the sounds and purchase the licence to expand the usable soundset.

Visit: https://shop.korg.com/kronos - beware it can take ages to load, I mean minutes!!!

Sounds that change without touching anything could be the result of influence by slowly changing LFOs routed to control effects and parameters in the background or, with some Programs, the first note played can have a different attack characteristic to subsequent notes played. It is usually possible to edit the Program or Combi to suit.

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is going to be Skype or Facetime, it can also work for you to make a video of your process on Kronos and explain your problems with Kronos there in the picture and your hands on the navigation and controls.

Then someone can reply with a video explanation.

The best solution descriptions are videos with hands on at Kronos.
And the best ways to present your questions and problems are also videos with hands on at Kronos.

And i say this because we already know here on the forum that you are well equipped for video making showing your hands on Kronos navigation and controls.

It could be better than Facetime and Skype and will be a video record that can be shared later on youtube if you please, so as to help other people with similar needs or problems.

Even if i tried to help, via Skype or Facetime, i would still ask for video view of your Kronos situation before i decided to respond.
If it were a problem i could not answer correctly right away, i would need to see what you have done to enter the problem situation and then take time to later repeat the same on my Kronos and then come up with a solution and come back with a reply that is hopefully a good answer.
A recorded video is always better because it can be reversed to review a particular section and be sure to understand correctly.

I think making videos of your situations, will make it easier for you to get help and replies from several people on the forum here and it also gives each person time to wait until they are free to apply themselves to helping you.

And most likely get the help for free. Do you speak english well?
What language would you hope for.

But without trying to discourage your request, I think also Facetime or Skype can be set up on both sides to focus on Kronos screen and controls, and then converse over the issues in real time.

I do not have a way to set up a camera right now, for a view over my Kronos.
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend this series of videos:

https://www.sounth.de/korg-kronos-tutorial/

Where are you located?

Best!
Flabis66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t really have problems or bugs, it’s just that I don’t know the best way to use the Kronos. I’m reading the manual and can reproduce each step separately. But now I’m trying to recreate the song Moments in Love from Art of Noise, that I think is easy to play and with basic instruments. So, i found all the programs and can play each tracks separately. Then I’ve created a combi with all the programs. But when I add a new program, the other change , probably because i’m Importing karma, filters, effects... I don’t know.
The song itself starts with a piano intro , then come some drums and there are looping till the end. Do I have to create a pattern ? A wave file? A drum track? Use the step sequencer ? Import a midi file created with Logic Pro? If I know what procedure I have to use, then I can read the manual or watch a video.
Yesterday, I decided to create the song with Logic Pro . I’ve started with the piano intro, recorded as an audio track. Then i’ve added an external instrument track, linked to Kronos channel 2 ( on the Kronos, timbre 2 is a Standard drum kit and timbre 3 a conga drum , both are set on channel 2). I’ve played 2 bars and created the loop.
Then i’m trying to add the hi-hat , an external instrument track linked to channel3 , containing timbre 4. Each time I play the song in Logic the timbre 2 and 3 change for a synthétiser sound. Probably Logic is sending parameters to the Kronos but I can’t figure how?
Then i’ve added another track with the bass, timbre 5 , channel 4, I set timbres 1 to 4 to mute and timbre 5 on « play » , but I can just hear the piano. And the piano has a weird sound.
Then I decided to use the internal sequencer instead of Logic, I create a song from scratch , select a piano ( one from Qui Robinez) but now the sustain pedal is not working , but works again after 1 or 2 minutes .
I’m sure I’m not using the right procedure so it’s why I would like someone to help me till I understand the basics.
If I can watch a video showing step by step how to create this particular song, then I’ll have enough knowledge to create my own songs. (I hope) .

Btw, it was so frustrating when this forum is temporarily out for 24h ! I can’t live without it now, it’s a gold mine Wink . Thanks to the admin and modos. And all of you helping beginners like me.

Sry for the block
Flabis66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m living in London ( London City Airport area). But native Belgian, French speaking
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
... Each time I play the song in Logic the timbre 2 and 3 change for a synthétiser sound. Probably Logic is sending parameters to the Kronos but I can’t figure how? ...

You have 2 choices:

1 - In Kronos unselect "Enable program change" ( Global -> MIDI -> Midi Filter )

2 - Set up your Logic to accomodate Korg Patch Names by creating Multi-Instruments in the environment ( MidiQuest Pro does it very well )

Personally I use a second option and I would recommend it to you instead disabling program change.
Flabis66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you record your song directly to the Kronos or it’s more easy with a Daw?

Another question. If I want to play this song in live: I start to play the piano intro with timbre 1. Then I select timbre 2 and 3 to play the drums and make them looping. But if i mute timbre 1 and enable 2 and 3 , the last piano chord stops to play too abruptly , and if I don’t mute timbre 1, when i play notes , the piano is also playing. Is it something i can do with Karma scenes?
And can I loop what I’ve just played in combis mode or only in seq mode?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[forum hiccup]

Last edited by GregC on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
I Logic Pro? If I know what procedure I have to use, then I can read the manual or watch a video.
1]Yesterday, I decided to create the song with Logic Pro . I’ve started with the piano intro, recorded as an audio track. Then i’ve added an external instrument track, linked to Kronos channel 2 ( on the Kronos, timbre 2 is a Standard drum kit and timbre 3 a conga drum , both are set on channel 2). I’ve played 2 bars and created the loop.

2]Then I decided to use the internal sequencer instead of Logic, I create a song from scratch , select a piano ( one from Qui Robinez) but now the sustain pedal is not working , but works again after 1 or 2 minutes .
I’m sure I’m not using the right procedure so it’s why I would like someone to help me till I understand the basics.
If I can watch a video showing step by step how to create this particular song, then I’ll have enough knowledge to create my own songs. (I hope) .

Bck

you have to settle on approach/platform. Then commit to it. Then you build your skills

I was going to recommend the SEQ as I think the workflow is easier and more immediate for song writing. SEQ has limits , again it depends on your approach.

Many others will swear by their DAWs. I sort of get it.

At some point, you need to settle on a recording approach/platform.

I agree with learning /recording a few cover songs as a way to gather skills.
Then you can progress to your originals.
I did this 2-3 years ago. Now I have 48 original songs on SoundCloud, 100% Kronos SEQ
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going to bring up something very basic. If your sounds are just changing suddenly for no reason, did you by chance accidentally touch the vector joystick?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
Do you record your song directly to the Kronos or it’s more easy with a Daw?

Logic is my centre for arranging and composing.
It's not the matter what's easier but rather necessity.
Logic like most DAW have score and piano editors, and is not limited to 16 tracks.
Kronos SEQ is simply not for me as a production tool. However I still might use it to build and record ideas, or test them on a fly ( Kronos is perfect for that)
In general if your songs are complex you should concentrate on DAW, if you do live performances, Kronos would be preferred option. But this is only my opinion so don’t jump to conclusion too quick.
And because you have Kronos, you should never ignore SEQ, lean it too regardless of your choice.

I am pretty good at Logic, but when comes to Kronos SEQ I am still in learning process. There is no rush or urgency as SEQ is not my primary tool.
So any questions regardless SEQ I leave it to experts.

PS. If you need to setup environment in Logic to co-work with Kronos, create a seperate post so I and others might help you.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing to check if sounds are changing suddenly is the nanoPAD X-Y pad is extremely sensitive and can quite dramatically alter the characteristic of a sound. One suggestion is to disable the X-Y pad on one of the nanoPAD's Scenes.

As a quick test, unplug the nanoPAD.
Flabis66

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
I’m going to bring up something very basic. If your sounds are just changing suddenly for no reason, did you by chance accidentally touch the vector joystick?

no, I have imported my midi file into the Kronos and deleted the track header with the midi event editor and it's ok now (the PROG line).
I'm trying now to create my songs directly on the Kronos, it's the main reason why i bough it.
Flabis66

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My compositions are very simple, for now. Max 16 tracks in Logic.
Here are 2 exemples (made with LogicPro before i get the Kronos). (i'm a very beginner, don't expect any high quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHZW0LkpHc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgGJBS_CDA

As you can hear, there are a lot of loops and I don't know yet how to manage the loops on the Kronos, how to build them... still learning... so for now, i'm playing them, record a few bars till i have a good one perfectly played, and then i set the midi track to loop this bar.

But for a live setup, using a combi, i suppose i have to record the loops, and start them with a key or the pad. I just don't know the name of the process (pattern, Karma, drum track, wav loop...? , so i don't know which video to watch or what to read. My problem is more about terminology. It's why i'm looking for a teacher instead of watching videos, just the time to learn a little bit of terminology.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: