Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using midi keyboard with FM and Beats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davbar1966

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Using midi keyboard with FM and Beats Reply with quote

Another (probably) stupid question from a noob Smile

I've got the chance of picking up an Alesis Q25 Keyboard controller for cheap. My question is how do I connect to the FM and Beats? From what I can tell they all have the same 5 pin female socket so I assume I need a male to male cable? And if that's right, how do I connect to both with one cable? As you can tell I know as much about midi as I do about Volcas.

If it matters, the volcas are connected to a USB mixer then to my pc.

In the words of Billy Connolly, he's more to be pitied than laughed at. Any help appreciated.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's see what we can do here.

First things first: if you check the paper that came with your Volcas, you should be able to see to which MIDI channel they are set, and reset them to channels that you choose.

Let's stipulate for the sake of argument that you set the FM to channel 5, and the Beats to channel 10.

Plug your Q25 into the power, and set it to channel 5, and then use a standard MIDI DIN cable (you can pick these up cheap) to connect it straight to the Volca FM. You should now be able to hear the FM play when you hit keys on the Q25.

To drive the Beats, you need to change the keyboard to channel 10, and plug it into the Beats.

To drive both Volcas at once, you would need to have a device that can talk on both channels at once, and a MIDI splitter, or the MIDI splitter and set both Volcas to the same channel (wouldn't work very well because your snare drum would always be the same note on the FM, for example), or two separate controllers to drive the two Volcas.

However, if your computer has an interface that will let you connect the Volcas to it, then you should be able to sequence both Volcas from the computer on separate channels.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask for clarifications.
davbar1966

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thank you, I understand it a bit more now, almost! When you say 'a device..' to drive both at once, what exactly would that be?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davbar1966 wrote:
Brilliant, thank you, I understand it a bit more now, almost! When you say 'a device..' to drive both at once, what exactly would that be?

You would need a multi-track sequencer or a keyboard with zoned/split-keyboard functionality (which is where the keyboard is divided into two or more sections which send data on different MIDI channels, most "workstation" keyboards will do this). I own an Arturia Beatstep Pro, which is a 3-track sequencer with two 'melody' tracks (they sequence single notes) and a drum sequencer. All three can be set to different MIDI channels, but you'd still need a MIDI splitter to address both the Volcas you own.

On a side note, I've been trying to workout an issue for a Beatstep Pro user (on the Arturia forum) recently thinking about how you may use one with your instruments has given me an idea that may help them Smile
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
davbar1966

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
davbar1966 wrote:

You would need a multi-track sequencer or a keyboard with zoned/split-keyboard functionality (which is where the keyboard is divided into two or more sections which send data on different MIDI channels, most "workstation" keyboards will do this). I own an Arturia Beatstep Pro, which is a 3-track sequencer with two 'melody' tracks (they sequence single notes) and a drum sequencer. All three can be set to different MIDI channels, but you'd still need a MIDI splitter to address both the Volcas you own.

On a side note, I've been trying to workout an issue for a Beatstep Pro user (on the Arturia forum) recently thinking about how you may use one with your instruments has given me an idea that may help them Smile

Okay, I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to get my brain in gear, and I think I'm slowly getting there. I'm better off without the Q25 and getting something like the Beatstep, or would a Micro/Minibrute be an even better option if I had the spare cash?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd get the Q25 and the beatstep pro.

Don't get more synths until you understand what you are doing with the volcas.

This way you will be able to play directly, and sequence them, and wrap your head around MIDI as well.
davbar1966

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

This way you will be able to play directly, and sequence them, and wrap your head around MIDI as well.

Ah, bollox. I cancelled the Q25! No worries, doesn't matter what I do, I try and run before I can walk! No way I can afford a Beatstep PRO just now anyway.

Really appreciate all your advice, I'll give name checks on my first album Cool
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

This is sound advice.

Also remember the Beatstep Pro is the 3-track sequencer and the BeatStep is only a single track so won't put you in any better position than you are now.
MIDI can be daunting but isn't really that puzzling once you nut it out. Essentially it's networking for synths. Do some searches on MIDI basic and fundamentals. There are a few good sites that can help you understand how it all works.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
LM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a look at the Arturia Keystep. It's what I use to play my Volcas and the Monotribe. In my opinion it is the best compact MIDI keyboard, having real MIDI ports, plus USB and analog (CV/Gate/Sync) connectivity. The analog sync can even be set to Korg/Volca. Its sequencer and arpeggiator are very easy to use and the keyboard is both velocity and aftertouch sensitive.
davbar1966

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM wrote:
You should have a look at the Arturia Keystep. It's what I use to play my Volcas and the Monotribe. In my opinion it is the best compact MIDI keyboard, having real MIDI ports, plus USB and analog (CV/Gate/Sync) connectivity. The analog sync can even be set to Korg/Volca. Its sequencer and arpeggiator are very easy to use and the keyboard is both velocity and aftertouch sensitive.

I was looking at the Keystep, but with my less than limited knowledge I wasn't sure if it would be a good buy, so thanks for the tip. I've also bought a book called Basic Midi so the witchcraft is starting to make a little more sense!

Cheers
davbar1966

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to also ask if the Korg SQ1 is an option?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an option, but it's very limited. I would save the money for the beatstep pro, and a cheap MIDI keyboard.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM wrote:

Koekepan wrote:
It is an option, but it's very limited. I would save the money for the beatstep pro, and a cheap MIDI keyboard.

Make that keyboard the KeyStep and you have a great little set-up for controlling and sequencing the Volca range. Grabbing a KeyStep first would mean you could sequence chords for the Volca FM and also sync the Volca Beats via it's clock out. The Beats' sequencer isn't a bad 16 stepper and does well for what it is so using the KeyStep to keep in sync is a good work around for not having a dedicated drum sequencer. The BSP can do sync duties too as it has an analogue clock out also, so you can do the same trick with it.

There are some shortcomings with the BSP with it not having a MIDI THRU function, so you can't put a master controller behind it in a MIDI chain. The KeyStep does have MIDI Thru though so you can chain them with the BSP followed by the KeyStep then off to the Volcas.

One thing that is important to mention is that no Volca comes with a MIDI Out port. This means you will need a MIDI splitter/THRU box of some description to address more than one via MIDI when using any multi-track/channel MIDI sequencer. They aren't expensive, but I've found that many Volca owners tend to be on tight budgets and I know from experience funds tend to get allocated to devices that seem to have more of a tangible benefit. Once you get one you open up your MIDI capabilities in general so they are quite an asset even when not using synths without MIDI THRU capabilities. Check out Kenton, MIDI Solutions, Touchprone (eBay merchant) and hotchk155 (Tindie.com merchant) for brand new. Or jump on eBay and search for a secondhand THRU box. They are fairly bomb-proof devices as far as what can be wrong with a used one. A owner would have physically break the thing to make it stop functioning.
davbar1966

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
LM wrote:

Koekepan wrote:

Make that keyboard the KeyStep and you have a great little set-up for controlling and sequencing the Volca range. Grabbing a KeyStep first would mean you could sequence chords for the Volca FM and also sync the Volca Beats via it's clock out. The Beats' sequencer isn't a bad 16 stepper and does well for what it is so using the KeyStep to keep in sync is a good work around for not having a dedicated drum sequencer. The BSP can do sync duties too as it has an analogue clock out also, so you can do the same trick with it.

There are some shortcomings with the BSP with it not having a MIDI THRU function, so you can't put a master controller behind it in a MIDI chain. The KeyStep does have MIDI Thru though so you can chain them with the BSP followed by the KeyStep then off to the Volcas.

One thing that is important to mention is that no Volca comes with a MIDI Out port. This means you will need a MIDI splitter/THRU box of some description to address more than one via MIDI when using any multi-track/channel MIDI sequencer. They aren't expensive, but I've found that many Volca owners tend to be on tight budgets and I know from experience funds tend to get allocated to devices that seem to have more of a tangible benefit. Once you get one you open up your MIDI capabilities in general so they are quite an asset even when not using synths without MIDI THRU capabilities. Check out Kenton, MIDI Solutions, Touchprone (eBay merchant) and hotchk155 (Tindie.com merchant) for brand new. Or jump on eBay and search for a secondhand THRU box. They are fairly bomb-proof devices as far as what can be wrong with a used one. A owner would have physically break the thing to make it stop functioning.

Thanks for this, appreciated. Just missed out on a Keystep and a MIDI Solutions v2 on ebay, but to perfectly honest, I can get both new from Thomann at a decent price so might wait until I've got the cash and get new instead.
davbar1966

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
LM wrote:

Koekepan wrote:

Thanks for this, appreciated. Just missed out on a Keystep and a MIDI Solutions v2 on ebay, but to perfectly honest, I can get both new from Thomann at a decent price so might wait until I've got the cash and get new instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: