Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idea for a new Volca: Volca MIDI Controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Idea for a new Volca: Volca MIDI Controller Reply with quote

I realize Korg already has some MIDI controllers, but I would love to see a Volca MIDI Controller that featured things like:

-A sequencer with all the possibilities we've seen in the Volca's so far, with any other ideas left out added on to that
-Knobs and an XY pad for CC control
-Knobs for automation of note output, for things like note length
-USB MIDI out for easy plug and play with desktop DAWs
-Multi channel MIDI out, for full song mode
-Different styles of sequencing, for drums, bass, lead, chords, etc.

Just thinking off the top of my head here. Could make for a nice addition to the Volca line. Cool
xCDx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be odd but nice would be a Korg Volca ribbon controller. A Volca strictly designed as a ribbon controller.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for a new Volca: Volca MIDI Controller Reply with quote

jbw wrote:
I realize Korg already has some MIDI controllers, but I would love to see a Volca MIDI Controller that featured things like:

-A sequencer with all the possibilities we've seen in the Volca's so far, with any other ideas left out added on to that
-Knobs and an XY pad for CC control
-Knobs for automation of note output, for things like note length
-USB MIDI out for easy plug and play with desktop DAWs
-Multi channel MIDI out, for full song mode
-Different styles of sequencing, for drums, bass, lead, chords, etc.

Just thinking off the top of my head here. Could make for a nice addition to the Volca line. Cool

I'll add 10 MIDI Out ports. Well at least three so as to address the three Volcas being used with a Volca Mix. Korg really should create a MIDI splitter for the range at the very least. Battery powered 3-way would suffice. If a user needs more out ports, chaining wouldn't be an issue if the unit was powered.

This https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/korg-says-that-volca-mix-module-isnt-happening-625806 appeared some years ago, but as the article mentions, they were only fantasies of a user.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just want to check something:
(lazy question, should just check)
if you sequence a volca with, say a QY100, does the volca sequencer start in sync with the QY? or if you set the volca to 'int' sync, does it ignore the start command?

i've always assumed they can be used as simple midi sound modules, so i didn't think to check ...
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:
just want to check something:
(lazy question, should just check)
if you sequence a volca with, say a QY100, does the volca sequencer start in sync with the QY? or if you set the volca to 'int' sync, does it ignore the start command?

i've always assumed they can be used as simple midi sound modules, so i didn't think to check ...

If you set the sync to internal it'll ignore all MIDI realtime messages and only run on it's internal tempo and transport. When set to auto it'll obey all external MIDI RTM's, but revert to running on internal if no data is received.

So with regards to using them with an external sequencer, you can run them as individual modules by setting them to internal. Not sure how they behave when running off the sync jack, I've not really ever worked in that fashion, only once using a KeyStep with it's clock out to the VBeats to sync a Pocket Operator while still running a MiniBrute via MIDI (and that was a few years ago so don't remember if I had to 'arm' the VBeats to synchronise play start).
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so that's it then. good.

'korg-sync' is a bit flawed, because it doesn't have synchronised Start-Stop like DinSync. it's just timing sync, with the 1st one in the sync chain providing Tempo. you have to start each on manually, so you might not always sync at the same place.

they only Start in sync with each one receiving MIDI sync.
Even if you have the first one receiving MIDI sync and the others chained by korg sync, those still have to be started manually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: