Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca FM: Saving pgm-specific algorithm changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_wasabi_nut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Volca FM: Saving pgm-specific algorithm changes Reply with quote

I have an issue with my Volca FM where if I make a change to the algorithm and save this to the program via the save button, it seems to overwrite the saved algorithm for all the other programs too.
Is this normal or am I doing something very stupid?
Cheers
Al

Edit - just realised this could be due to the unusual way the algorithms are presented - when playing one program then moving to another the apparent value when you turn the algorithm knob is the value of the previous patch, even if, prior to touching the algorithm setting, you are hearing a totally different algorithm (correctly denoted by the underscore).... very confusing...!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is normal and confusing at first. Smile
But perfectly explainable. It even is a bit different than what you describe.

It is called the jump mode in the world of digital synths.
So pretty all parameters which have a knob, except the program knob are simple potentio meters and show this behaviour. The program knob is a rotary encoder, meaning you can keep it spinning.

Potentio meters have a limited range from 7 to 5 o'clock and have a small line/pointer on them. When you change a program, the parameters internally get the value as stored in memory. But the pot meters are not motorized and due to that, they can be off compared to the current value of the parameter. But as soon as you turn the knob, the corresponding parameter jumps to the value that is indicated by the pot. This effect looks like that all programs get the value of your last edited value, but it is not. It is just how the system works.

This jump can sometimes be annoying, suppose you do a life performance. You play a bit and then turn on a knob. Instead of gradually moving it jumps to the value of the pot meter. To avoid that, you should change first to a program and then before the performance, start to tweak all knobs, till you find the stored value (as indicated by the underscore). From then on the jump will not appear during the performance.

Some devices (but unfortunately not the volcas) let the mode be configurable: jump or catch. You know now what jump is. Smile In catch, basically, you turn a knob, but it seems not to have any effect until you catch the value as stored in memory. From then on the knob behaves normal and it avoids the jump.

Rotary encoders don't have that problem, as you can keep them spinning. They actually have no value, they only tell the synth to increase/decrease the current value. But of course they are more expensive...

Enjoy
dr_wasabi_nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Thanks for the explanation. Thats kind of what my limited intellect was edging towards, but didn't have the vocabulary to express.
What made it more confusing was I only noticed this when importing patches from DEXED, where sometimes the algorithm actually is different (ie wrong) - so trying to determine what was a quirk of the synth and what was an actual import problem was more than my brain could cope with.
It should be much easier now.
Cheers
Al
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_wasabi_nut wrote:
the algorithm

you might be confusing 'algorithm' with 'preset' here.

'algorithm' is a parameter used in a preset: it is the configuration of the various 'operators' used. if you look at the chart that comes with a volca FM, you'll see the 32 combinations used in DX7 6-op synthesis.

'preset' is the combination of all the parameters that make up a ... preset Smile

as far as the problem of the same sound coming back after an edit:
when you save a 'pattern' on the FM, it saves the selected preset with it.
if you edited that sound, but did not save it, it will revert to original settings when you return to that pattern - and of course, if you save the sound, it will be sound now used by other patterns using that preset.(so you can save the new sound to another preset memory, and then save your pattern with it)

sounds not transferring correctly from Dexed: try switching on all the operators to see if this matches the sound you sent. should fix it. this is because (afaik...?) DX7 presets are saved with a checksum, and do not have the on/off parameter for operators. volcaFM does but does not have a checksum, so it tries to interpret the DX7 checksum as a value to set operator on/off state. at least that's how i understand it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: