Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KW Top & KW bottom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
siwaj11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: KW Top & KW bottom Reply with quote

Hi,

just wondering whats the purpose or use of the slope parameter from our kronos? we can find that parameter on the Midi Zone Tab where we set our layers and splits.

I'm so curious about that function as I don't have an idea whats the magic behind that parameter.

please educate me.

Thanks Very Happy

Gear: Korg Kronos, Korg K 49 Series, Korg Nanopad, INTEGRA 7, KRK Rokit 8, MacPro, LogicPro, Reason 4, Sennheiser Microphone, Shure SLX, Behringer X32
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom slope parameter lets you fade the volume in for the lower notes, and the top slope parameter lets you fade the volume out for the upper notes.

0 = no crossfade, full normal volumes within your key range
12 = one octave fade
24 = 2 octaves fade

These volume fades work *inside* the key range.

====================================

For example, let's say you create a keyboard range of B2 to B5 for a timbre/instrument.

The top key is B5, and the bottom key is B2. Anything higher than B5 or lower than B2 will not sound or respond to MIDI.

Normally, if you just leave the top and bottom slopes at 0, then the timbre will have normal volumes as you play notes between B2 and B5. As expected.

However, if instead you set the top and bottom slopes to 12, then at one octave below the top key, at B4, you will have full normal volume, but it will gradually start to get quieter until you reach your top key B5, at which point is will be almost silent.

Same thing for a bottom slope of 12. At one octave above the bottom note, at B3, notes will have the normal full volume range. But as you go lower from B3 to B2, by the time you reach B2, the notes will be silent.

====================================

In a nutshell, the slope parameter will gradually lower the volumes inside your key range by the amount you specify. It will be silent at your defined top and bottom keys, and the amount of slope determines how many semitones from the outer edge of your range (the top/bottom) until it's full volume again.

See the picture on page 467 of the Parameter Guide (v3.0.2) for a visual representation of how the volume is faded inside the keyboard range you define.

(I would have preferred the slopes to gradually lower the volume *outside* the key range, so you could just set the top and bottom notes, which would sound normally, then set the slopes to 12 so that the key range starts to fade once you start to leave the key range. But instead, the slopes affect the volumes *within* your key range).
siwaj11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you psionic311 you have unlocked my confusion.
It was a crystal clear explanation.

Cheers Very Happy

Gear: Korg Kronos, Korg K 49 Series, Korg Nanopad, INTEGRA 7, KRK Rokit 8, MacPro, LogicPro, Reason 4, Sennheiser Microphone, Shure SLX, Behringer X32 Mac Pro, Mac Air
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I was a bit muddy on this before I replied.

Referring to the parameter guide and my Kronos, and explaining and editing my post until it was clear helped me too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: