Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For us guys with multiple keyboards....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: For us guys with multiple keyboards.... Reply with quote

How do you guys interface between your keyboards and computer/daw?

I recently made some changes and have been talking to guys and getting ideas of how they get multiple channels of keyboards/synths to their computer... The plugging and unplugging over and over with a 2 channel interface is not very attractive at all...

Just getting ideas.

Thanks.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Apex, haven't seen you post in awhile. Regarding ways to connect your keys to your computer, it might help to describe what you have, what your goals are, and what your budget is.

But assuming you're looking for quick, easy, and cheap, and only knowing that you have a Kronos and a 2 channel audio interface --

- you could connect one of your other keyboard's audio to your 2 channel interface
- use USB audio for Kronos
- Kronos USB will also pass MIDI for Kronos
- you could also connect any other keyboards to the 2 x Audio IN of your Kronos, and pass that to your DAW

The above set up would minimize having to swap out cables every time you want to record. When you record the Kronos, arm channels 1 and 2 in your DAW. When you want to record the keyboard connected to your Kronos via its 2 x AUDIO In, then just arm tracks 3 and 4 in your DAW.

Of course, this could be wildly off base without knowing what you have and want to achieve.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My Guides Page has two guides at the top which show my rig (Kronos and Montage as the boards) and how I use Cantabile as a MIDI hub and Live VST host. This provides enormous flexibility.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my setup simple - 16 chanel USB mixer (Behringer X2222USB - Don't laugh, it works). All the USB MIDI outs go through a 10 input powered hub.

I messed around with OSX's Aggregate and Multi-Out audio options, but some gear doesn't play well with others, so I gave up on that. Rolling Eyes
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The plugging and unplugging over and over with a 2 channel interface is not very attractive at all...

I know, I just got an interface with more inputs. I run my Kronos through the optical input and the rest of my keys through the analog inputs.
An option dependant on interface might be an ADAT expander?

I prefer to run everything as simply as possible!

Ian
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself a FocusRite 8Pre a while ago, so I have Kronos, my two Brutes and the Mother all connected on different inputs. And they are labelled as such in the DAW as well, so it is super easy to pick which ones to arm as well. The two front inputs I have reserved for stuff I plug and unplug, like bass, guitar and mic.
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And they are labelled as such in the DAW as well, so it is super easy to pick which ones to arm as well

Same here - its worth it when you're in the groove!
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.... Yeah, I should have been WAY more specific. Some of these comments go from 0-100.....😂

I'm watching a movie with my wife right now... And she wants me to put my phone down. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'll post more details tomorrow.

I certainly appreciate all the comments, but I was just too vague with my question.

I'll do better tomorrow.

Thanks guys.
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Apex:

I use a midipatchbay Edirol UM550, and it works fine.-
I suppose any other micipatchbay would do the job meanwhile it have a USB connection.-
With regards.
Eduardo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: