Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karma in a Combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Karma in a Combi Reply with quote

New User/Dumb Question. I imported a program that is also running Karma which I want to keep in the combi. As I add other timbres to the combi I'd like to know how to turn Karma off for only those timbres. Tried a number of Karma buttons and even resorted to reading the manual! No luck. I'm sure there is an easy solution. Any advice much appreciated.

Peter
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish it were as simple as going to timbre parameters and ticking a timbre midi filter box for enable/disable Karma.

You need to go into Karma tab and then to the “GE setup” page.
GE setup page has a section for “Midi I/O”.
You need to separate the active module midi channels from your global midi midi channel that all programs use.mOther wise all programs will respond to active Karma modules outputting on global channel.
If i recall correctly, you go to the active Module row of midi I/O settings and set the output side to any channel other than Gch. Input side is ok to stay at Gch. Gch is normally midi channel 1.
After that, you will lose all Karma response to any timbres that are not set to that Karma module’s midi output channel.
Then you go to “Timbre parameter” tab, and then to “Midi” page and set midi channels for only the timbres you need responding to that karma module.
Set them to the same channel as the output channel for the karma modules midi I/O output side.
All unused timbre channels should remain on Gch or on a non-active channel that is not used by Karma or Gch.

There is more to GE setup that you should look into, but Midi I/O is the part that sorts out which timbre/tracks will respond to which of the 4 karma modules.

You have four Karma modules and each can run 4 independent GE patterns that each drive their own independent timbre/tracks, or their own sets of independent timbre/tracks.

Sorry if it sounds confusing but it is something you have to figure out if you want to work custom setups with Karma involved, in combi or sequencer mode.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it actually is simple; you just have to look at it from the correct angle.

There are four KARMA Modules. Each Module transmits on a specific MIDI Output Channel, as set in the GE Setup Page, MIDI I/O section. Typically, in a combi, those are set to MIDI Channels 2,3,4,5. So:

To set a new timbre to NOT be controlled by KARMA, don't set it to one of those MIDI Channels in the Timbre Parameters > MIDI page. If you want it to be controlled by the keyboard, then set it to the Global Channel (usually CH1).

If you would like to layer a new timbre with any KARMA Module pattern, then set it to the same MIDI Output Channel as one of the KARMA Modules.

Carbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen thanks so much for your assistance. I'm making some progress but here's where I'm at. What I'm trying to do is create a combi for the program Baba O'Riley. I imported that program into timbre 1 of a combi and set keyboard zone and pitch to move it on the keys where I needed it. Then I set a grand piano in timbre 2. Both are set to Gch on the midi page.

The Baba program appears to have 2 parts to it. By following your instructions on the Karma GE setup page I was able to remove the piano from playing the lower when I play the lower Baba part but persists when playing the upper part. What am I missing? Seems like if I got the piano to stop playing with the lower that the upper would also have cleared.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
Stephen thanks so much for your assistance. I'm making some progress but here's where I'm at. What I'm trying to do is create a combi for the program Baba O'Riley. I imported that program into timbre 1 of a combi and set keyboard zone and pitch to move it on the keys where I needed it. Then I set a grand piano in timbre 2. Both are set to Gch on the midi page.

The Baba program appears to have 2 parts to it. By following your instructions on the Karma GE setup page I was able to remove the piano from playing the lower when I play the lower Baba part but persists when playing the upper part. What am I missing? Seems like if I got the piano to stop playing with the lower that the upper would also have cleared.

If you started with an INIT combi, it may be that the KARMA MIDI I/O Channels are set to 1,2,3,4. Make sure they are set to 2,3,4,5, so that KARMA is not playing Ch1. Put your keyboard-played timbres on CH1, and the KARMA-played timbres on 2,3,4,5.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i [ heart } midi Wink
Carbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the Karma tab, GE setup tab. If I switch the Karma Midi Outputs to anything other then Gch or 1 there is no sound from Karma or piano. If left as it was on Gch the piano plays too. There is a timbre thru checkbox but that seems to have no effect.

I have the piano set on midi ch 2 on the timbre midi page. Crazy.
Carbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key to resolving this is to understand why the Baba program seems to respond to not affecting the piano with the lower part of its program, yet the upper part is the one attaching itself to the piano. I put the piano back on Gch which I think is set for midi ch 1 from the factory.
Carbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, if I change the Karma midi i/o outs to anything other than Gch or 1 there is no sound at all.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbo wrote:
btw, if I change the Karma midi i/o outs to anything other than Gch or 1 there is no sound at all.

You have to go to combi “Timbre parameters” tab and then go to the midi tab page to set the midi channels for each timbre.

You set the channels in Karma midi I/O, now you have to make sure the timbre midi channels are set to match what you set up in Karma.

Timbre parameters, midi page is your final step to make the sound come through as needed.
The karma part is exactly as it needs to be, just the way Stephen explained.

Each of the Timbre midi channels have to be set to match what you set up in Karma.

Kronos flexibility can sometimes be a bit more to manage.

In the long run, all this midi setting maze comes to be a big advantage for very creative custom setups.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma midi I/O Midi INPUT side set to Gch.
The Output side should be set to 2,3,4 or 5.

And be sure you set the Inputs and outputs for the active module.

Are you using module A? B? C? D? Set the input and output for the module you are using in the program. Check the program to see which module or how many are being used.

Using two modules for the program could explain why it drives lower zones separately from the upper zones.
Each module can have its own zoning while each module can channel into the same program on the same channel.

Is your Karma control surface panel set to module M? Or any of A,B,C or D?

I think best you comment what Karma modules the Baba program is using.
Is it using one or two or more?
And check the karma control panel where you turn karma on and off near the drum track on/off switch.
There are module switches there, A,B,C,D and M.
Those can bring modules in and out. And M module can complicate the functions with a mix of various modules controlled as one.

Maybe baba program has a complex module setup. Using more than one module or even using M module. ?
Hmmmm.
Carbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: success! Reply with quote

Want to thank all for the assist. Finally got it working the way I had hoped. My first encounter with Karma. Total respect!

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: