Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos amplification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
countrycreek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: kronos amplification Reply with quote

I have a kronos 2 I'm running through Hartke Km200 and the amp colors the tone too much the sound through the headphones is the sound that I want what is best way to get that sound ? I want to use live on stage

km 200 Hartke (2)

Last edited by countrycreek on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

home studio or gigs ?
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: kronos amplification Reply with quote

countrycreek wrote:
I have a kronos 2 I'm running through Hartke Km200 and the amp colors the tone too much the sound through the headphones is the sound that I want what is best way to get that sound ?

I don't know if that will ever be possible the stereo effects thru the headphones are really good but if you ever find a way please let us know.

Like Greg said studio or live is a huge difference. That is why I never try a keyboard out thru headphones only. I know the Kronos can sound really good with the right amplification though.
ponkine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're too few stereo keyboard amps. And they're expensive. Another problem is that the stereo separation is really narrow.

Most of keyboard amps are mono. Heavy and bulky.
So the best way to get the stereo sound and effects is through PA system

Another great option is a pair of active monitors. I recommend at least 8 inches to get full, rich, bass reproduction. You can get a really hi fi sound.

I currently use a couple of non expensive, great sounding JBL LSR308 at home. I simply plug each channel to one speaker and that's it!
You can hear the sound of your keyboard/synth rather than the sound of the speaker

Enjoy
Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF7iGLuTxlw&t=148s
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My headphones sounded good when i first got them, then i got my studio monitors and they were just too heavy on the bass end and muffled sounding.
I thought the headphones had impressive bass end until i got the studio monitors.

Then i moved my sounds to EQ section of Setlist mode.
All the programs and combi’s i play regularly are put to a setlist that has an EQ setting stored for bringing the Studio monitors closer to what the headphones were doing. Still not a match in sound coloring between the two but if both sounds were on the same stage, they would not conflict.

I ended up getting a good EQ setting in setlist for the studio monitors and now my headphones sound terrible after my ears adjusted to my studio monitors.
My headphones have collected so much dust now that i am scared to put them on and get an ear infection.

Great thing about Setlist mode is you have 127 different set list pages that each have their own EQ settings. EQ for each of various venues and sound systems.

Depends on what kind of headphones you have, and then trying to match a set of speakers is going to depend a lot on dialing in the right EQ.
Before i understood how EQ helped, i turned away from the bigger set of studio monitors and went for the smaller ones because when trying them out in the store, i didn’t realize how EQ could tame the bass on the bigger set.
I have enough bass end on the smaller ones, but the bigger ones would have got me louder for outdoor setups.
Not regretting it because my next move is a set of quality PA speakers that will do the outdoor loudness part for me.

I imagine i will need another Setlist page with a special EQ setting for the PA speakers.
Also, there is a reason that sound processing equipment is a big part of studios and live music situations.
Getting the right sound per room and speakers is always a tedious job.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Home Studio:

Adam A8X 8.5" 2 way active nearfield monitors !
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://themoderndayproducer.com/studio-monitors-vs-headphones-the-great-debate/
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:

I like articles that make an effort but they seem to fall short in the ' what is your end result '. They finally mention ' aspiring producers.

They do not address the audience that will actually listen to the song.
And your choice or genre of music created is a big factor.

For example, many of my causal listeners listen on smart phones, some use ear buds. Others use basic computer speakers.

In my mix, I aim for the middle ground. Relyng completely on headphones and/or studio monitors is falling short IMO

Back to the o/p. He should tell us what his budget is
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
benny ray wrote:

I like articles that make an effort but they seem to fall short in the ' what is your end result '. They finally mention ' aspiring producers.

They do not address the audience that will actually listen to the song.
And your choice or genre of music created is a big factor.

For example, many of my causal listeners listen on smart phones, some use ear buds. Others use basic computer speakers.

In my mix, I aim for the middle ground. Relyng completely on headphones and/or studio monitors is falling short IMO

Back to the o/p. He should tell us what his budget is

That was the main reason i opened a sound cloud account, so i can get a run of my kronos sound on another medium closer to what an average audience listens through.
Now i just plug kronos USB into my iPad and do video record of my playing.
I can put that to youtube or social media for friends, but mostly i like that it is there on the portable iPad to take with me where ever i go.

Last month i stayed in a vacation rental when family came down to visit, the place had a single Harman Kardon bluetooth speaker which i paired to my iPad and heard how terrible the sound was.
Muffled sound with bass end overwhelming the mids and highs.
Same music sounds great on my iPad, headphones or studio monitors.
So now i question Haraman Kardon bluetooth speakers and i question my ability to dial in a sound that can work well in mainstream listener arena.

I need to get my car updated with bluetooth stereo system so i can cross reference sound mix with the car stereo.

I suspect cars are where most people do their music listening.
There isn’t much else you can do in a car but drive or sit and ride along.
Maybe self driving cars will change that eventually.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
[quote

I suspect cars are where most people do their music listening.
There isn’t much else you can do in a car but drive or sit and ride along.
Maybe self driving cars will change that eventually.

I can't speak to what Bluetooth does to audio. Its something for me to look into

You are on point to 'where' folks, esp in CA, where they listen to music. Its in their cars since many are commuting to work, stuck in traffic 3-4 hours a day.

My final mix tweaks are based on my car stereo listening test.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Muffled sound with bass end overwhelming the mids and highs.
Same music sounds great on my iPad, headphones or studio monitors.
So now i question Haraman Kardon bluetooth speakers and i question my ability to dial in a sound that can work well in mainstream listener arena.

Yeah, I know this problem Smile For the longest time, I though my Bose headset was crap because my mixes sounded muffled and bassy.. But the thing is that studio grade speakers and headphones tend to have a flatter frequency response than consumer grade gear. And a lot of consumer gear, even the expensive stuff, might emphasise certain frequencies, especially when it comes to bass. iPad speaker on the other hand has next to no bass, being so small..

My guess is that the Harman/Kardon speaker has a boost in the lower mids and bass area and what you were playing didn't benefit from that.

Getting a mix to translate well and sound good across a variety of speaker systems and headsets is what mastering is all about, and there's a reason why it is a field of its own. If your interested in the field, I can recommend Ian Sheperd's "The Mastering Show" (https://themasteringshow.com).

Another potential problem with these bluetooth speakers is stereo vs mono. A lot of mixing engineers do a lot of the mixing in mono. The reason for this is to detect and fix phase cancellation between L & R and the other is to detect and address buildup in certain frequency registers which occur only on the sides. For instance.. I usually double or quad track my guitars and pan them hard left and right. And then the bass guitar is mono centered. When listening in stereo this sounds fine, but once I switch to mono, I clearly hear that there is a buildup in the lower mids which makes it sound box-like, so I need to do EQ cuts in both guitars and bass to make it work.

A final problem with bluetooth speakers/headphones is audio compression. Though the bluetooth protocol supports streaming aac and mp3 files directly, what kind of compression you get depends on the device, the source material and the receiving unit. And if you're unlucky, the material is in one compressed format, and then gets recompressed into another format before streamed over to the speaker, so this can definitely cause additional harm to the audio signal.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slight deviation to the topic,but perhaps of some interest.

Anyone considered,or actually using either one of the following ?

Audified Mixchecker Pro.
https://shop.audified.com/products/mixchecker-pro

Oscillot perspective.
https://oscillotaudio.com/
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos amplification Reply with quote

countrycreek wrote:
I have a kronos 2 I'm running through Hartke Km200 and the amp colors the tone too much the sound through the headphones is the sound that I want what is best way to get that sound ? I want to use live on stage

A pair of QSC K8.2
Sweat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos amplification Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
A pair of QSC K8.2

+1
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos amplification Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
A pair of QSC K8.2

These are good.

I have a pair of JBL EON 612s that sound very good, and cost less than the QSCs. They're awfully big, though.

I also have a Centerpoint SpaceStation V3 with a Behringer subwoofer, but I haven't been able to get a sound that I really like out of that rig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: