Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Monitors - What Do You Use?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Just looking to see what a lot of you use for "speakers" when playing at home. Do you use a keyboard stage amp? Studio monitors? If so, what brand and model?

I'm torn between purchasing Yamaha HS7 or Adam Audio T7V, and then an additional subwoofer, which I'm still not sure of which one.

EDIT: I'm not worried about mixing down, but rather just enjoy playing. So with a Kronos, would I still want my monitors to be as flat as can be, or do you find a warmer monitor compliments the Kronos better?

Last edited by Kevbo on Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use studio monitors I think they are JBL 305 they sound very good. Good monitors for the money. Sure they are some that are better but these are best bang for the buck value IMO.

I also use headphones alot depends on my situation at home.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Kevbo wrote:
I'm torn between purchasing Yamaha HS7 or Adam Audio T7V, and then an additional subwoofer, which I'm still not sure of which one.

Put on Hold !!!
And save for Adam A8X 8.5".

I have Mackie HR824 (1st Gen.) and KRK 12sHO subwoofer.
The subwoofer is bypassed most of the time, I use it only in certain situations.
The HR824 monitors are superb, however I am going to replace them with Adam A8X 8.5" in very near future. I had them in the house the other day for testing purpose (thanks to my friend), and I must say they are worth every penny you pay. Yes, they are better than HR824.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a pair of ESI nEAR 05 some 15 years ago and I've been using those ever since. Nothing fancy, but they sound ok.

When I got the Kronos a few years back I considered upgrading to something a bit more fashionable, but I've since concluded that a much bigger problem than the speakers is the fact that my "studio" is in the corner of a medium sized room covered with mostly empty plaster walls and no acoustic treatment. As an example, the decay of a hand-clap is about a second Smile

So to circumvent that problem, I tend to also listen through headphones and also take the mix into living room, the car, etc..

(We'll be moving in a few months though, and I plan to get some level of acoustic treatment to my new music room / office. Once the acoustics are under control, I might decide I need a new pair of speakers and then I'll return to this thread and others like it for recommendations)
bobmusic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 4 years I use Yamaha MSP7 - Studiomonitors with Yamaha SW10 - Subwoofer. I bought the system second hand for a reasonable price and enjoying every second of using it.
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a simple pair of M-Audio BX8-D3's. Very comfortable to listen to, but most importantly, they suit the dimensions of my room.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobmusic wrote:
Since 4 years I use Yamaha MSP7 - Studiomonitors with Yamaha SW10 - Subwoofer. I bought the system second hand for a reasonable price and enjoying every second of using it.

yeah, I forgot to mention investing in a sub. I have a 12" Cervin Vega in my home studio. Love the warmth a decent sub adds to my system. Drums + bass are monster with a sub
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main monitors are Adam A7X's, and they are in my opinion as good as their reputation implies. I do also have a pair of A3X's for which I move around as portable.
I find however, that the Adam monitors while the quality of the sound is noticeably finer than most other monitors I've listened to, there are a couple of things about them to note....
the stereo image is not as well defined, or as wide as compared to some other monitors particularly those with dome tweeters. I think the ribbon drivers play a part in this. I also find the frequency response to be a little weaker comparatively, in the midrange, though I treat that as a positive, due to my taste and hearing. (I don't do very much mixing of late).

I've also recently had some satisfaction with iLoud Micromonitors paired up with a cheapish 8 inch KRK Subwoofer. I get an incredible and powerful sound in a very compact portable setup, and the Kronos does sound very impressive when playing through this when out and about.

I'll be very interested in these new iLoud MTM's with the mic calibration, when they are released. If the current micromonitors are anything to go by, they should be very impressive for portable monitors.
DJCobbSalad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JBL 3 series are very very good for the price. I have several of the 308 and 305 monitors (I have two 7.1 setups), they outperform anything in their price range and most things above it. I work in film music and they also translate great to dub stages. Personally not a fan of Adam's, the tweeter is way too aggressive and overhyped for mixing and they don't translate well to other rooms/speakers, but if you're just using them for playback they can sound great.

For gigs I'm using a QSC K10.2 loudspeaker. It's ok, kind of a big bump in the 90-100hz range that I try to EQ out, but otherwise pretty solid and very loud.
Drummond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha HS80
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
Kevbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Kevbo wrote:

Put on Hold !!!
And save for Adam A8X 8.5".

I have Mackie HR824 (1st Gen.) and KRK 12sHO subwoofer.
The subwoofer is bypassed most of the time, I use it only in certain situations.
The HR824 monitors are superb, however I am going to replace them with Adam A8X 8.5" in very near future. I had them in the house the other day for testing purpose (thanks to my friend), and I must say they are worth every penny you pay. Yes, they are better than HR824.

You have me intrigued, but man.....$1,000 per speaker. That's a bit for me to swallow, especially seeing that I will be dropping $4,000 on the Kronos SE in the near future whenever Guitar Center gets them in (10% military discount). I was hoping to spend no more than $800 max on TWO studio monitors, then another $500 on a sub. Again, that is max price on both. If I can find quality for less, I will go for it.

Thank you though. I'll have to try and give these speakers a listen if I can find them anywhere.
ponkine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBL 308

Great sound. And they're unexpensive
Best bang for the buck!

Very Happy
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focal Twin 6be , but they're not exactly cheap.

Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Studio Monitors - What Do You Use? Reply with quote

Kevbo wrote:

You have me intrigued, but man.....$1,000 per speaker...

The Monitors are long term investment, they usually outlive keyboards.
You have some serious gear (incl Kronos 88 ), therefore you need some serious monitors.
You didn’t mention the size of your studio, however my guess is that 8” is minimum for you.(My room is 3x4 m semi-treated)
Anything less is worthless and waste of money, and your gear might not sound what supposed to be.

I recommended Adam Audio A8X,only because you mentioned Adam Audio brand.
But there are other brands that would serve you well.
I would never buy monitors that cost less than $900-1000, because I am serious about music.
Instead rushing, save, and get better ones. You’ll be glad, and satisfied each and every day.

I am satisfied with my HR824, however I am planning to buy Adam Audio A8X for 2 reasons:

- I can mix/monitor at lower levels than HR824 ( trying to take care for my hearing )
- Adam Audio A8X is PERFECT for orchestral patches.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genelec.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: