Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kick Back for 1 Hour: A Roland Retrospective/History

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Kick Back for 1 Hour: A Roland Retrospective/History Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbpRMZIQ8g

I like history- if you do, you might enjoy this 72 minute YT on Roland
ponkine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

A wonderful documentary

I'd love to see something like that from Korg Very Happy

The problem with Roland, as with several other major brands, is that they reach a peak, and then go downhill quickly ... yet they seem to comfortable in that position!. Releasing a bunch of sub-par products in latest years. NOT listening to what the fans and musician want, etc

How come the organ presets from the Juno 60 (1982) sound better than VR 09 (2013)?
How come the JV 1080 (1994) sounds much better than Integra 7 (2012)?

And so on

Is THAT HARD to sample their iconic instruments with the state-of-the-art technology, 24 bit and everything, and then create a Workstation for the XXI musician (big touch screen, smoth sounds transition, several layers, splits and zones, input for other instruments and microphone, pads functionality, D Beam or Ribbon controller, etc) as well BASIC features like headphones jack on the front?

I still can't believe that NO major brand has ever done that.
Arturia did something really good with V Collection, but they don't have interest in making a hardware synth out of that. Same with others like Spectrasonics.

Since the birth of the most dated and overrated synth of all time (Yamaha DX7) Roland and other brands have basically copied the same sounds, while adding a lot more from the same categories, ended up sounding already dated, plastic, digital and thin. Just like the DX7, but 35 years later.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponkine wrote:
Thank you!

A wonderful documentary

I'd love to see something like that from Korg Very Happy

The problem with Roland, as with several other major brands, is that they reach a peak, and then go downhill quickly ... yet they seem to comfortable in that position!. Releasing a bunch of sub-par products in latest years. NOT listening to what the fans and musician want, etc

How come the organ presets from the Juno 60 (1982) sound better than VR 09 (2013)?
How come the JV 1080 (1994) sounds much better than Integra 7 (2012)?

And so on

Is THAT HARD to sample their iconic instruments with the state-of-the-art technology, 24 bit and everything, and then create a Workstation for the XXI musician (big touch screen, smoth sounds transition, several layers, splits and zones, input for other instruments and microphone, pads functionality, D Beam or Ribbon controller, etc) as well BASIC features like headphones jack on the front?

I still can't believe that NO major brand has ever done that.
Arturia did something really good with V Collection, but they don't have interest in making a hardware synth out of that. Same with others like Spectrasonics.

Since the birth of the most dated and overrated synth of all time (Yamaha DX7) Roland and other brands have basically copied the same sounds, while adding a lot more from the same categories, ended up sounding already dated, plastic, digital and thin. Just like the DX7, but 35 years later.

Cool, glad you enjoyed it. For sure, it would be great if there was a similar history video on YT about Korg. Even the Roland mentions what a game changer the M1 was in 1988.

I can't answer your questions- I go back to the JV880/1080.
My guess is there was more noise in the D/a or whatever for the 1080.
That grit may have gotten removed in the Integra.
I am not a gear collector like many, have that minimal preference.

I think money is the motivator for most product 'decisions ' or lack of features.

I like my FA . I will always have that Roland character in my future song writing.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Ball is a really smart/talented guy with a decent following. He gave me a shoutout a few months ago and I got something like 50 new subs in a day. He makes quality material and definitely deserves a bigger audience 👌
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: