Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximum velocity (127) hard to reach FIXED !!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Maximum velocity (127) hard to reach FIXED !!! Reply with quote

Hi all

I’ve had owned the 61, 88 and now own the LS and have found the same issue with all of them.

It is extremely difficult to get the maximum velocity on any velocity curve. I’ve tried them all. Every other keyboard that I have owned can reach the maximum velocity with far less effort.

I find curves 5 - 8 take slightly less than a hammer fist to get there !!
However, these curves don’t allow for the maximum dynamic expression from very quiet to very loud.

For me, I find 3 or 9 to be the best compromise (61 Key or 88 Key) but it still takes too much force to get anywhere near.

This is even more evident when using the Kronos to control another keyboard or software where you need very high velocities to hear all the nuances

Although I’ve found the 88 and LS offer more dynamic control than the 61 when playing pianos and ep’s, they all suffer from the same issue.

It becomes very evident when you control the Kronos from another keyboard. The Kronos really sings when played from my Montage or Forte

Is there a software solution ?

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!

Last edited by PCFREE on Wed May 29, 2019 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting because as opposed to you I found that very few keyboards I have owned over the years offered good control over the whole MIDI velocity scale except one which I still have. I personally rate the Kronos as pretty good (like 8 out of 10) for MIDI control.

If you often use a PC/laptop with your Kronos, one solution to widen its MIDI dynamics is to use a MIDI mapper (there are some good free ones online). See my sig for details on one such possible solution.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same issue with the Kronos 2 73. It's especially true with some HD-1 Progs using velocity layer samples : some are unreachable.
I've found three ways around :

1°) curve 5 is a more balanced curve and velocity near of 127 can be reached.

2°) Modifying the velocity ranges inside each HD-1 Prog

3°) Insert Midi CC velocity events inside a song or a DAW if you are using one.

Basically, I think it is more an hardware keyboard sensors calibration issue than a software one. I don't think an ultimate solution exists.

You can read this thread I've posted two years ago : http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=108967&highlight= You will find another link inside.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum velocity (127) hard to reach Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:

For Logic Pro X users there is Apple's Velocity Processor plug-in ( as seen below )
I often use it to correct Kronos, and It does work very well.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos keyboard velocity sensing uses the two contact method, with the delay between first and second contact closure being used to determine the key velocity. Provided the contacts are in good condition, satisfactory calibration should be possible in software alone. However, there is no user menu item provided for doing this, since it is considered by Korg to be a factory calibration only. All the user has at their disposal on the Kronos are the velocity curves.

DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Kronos is not perfect in this regard, I feel it is nothing compared to my Yamaha MODX8. My biggest bugbear with that keyboard, (and it has a fantastic sound generator), has been the most atrocious keyboard velocity response as an external controller. It's almost unusable when playing external sounds with any form of expression.

It's interesting that this complaint is becoming more common on many different boards. Still, I find Kronos in a relative sense is pretty good.

I wonder if there is any noticeable variation between RH3's?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
While the Kronos is not perfect in this regard, I feel it is nothing compared to my Yamaha MODX8. My biggest bugbear with that keyboard, (and it has a fantastic sound generator), has been the most atrocious keyboard velocity response as an external controller. It's almost unusable when playing external sounds with any form of expression.

It's interesting that this complaint is becoming more common on many different boards. Still, I find Kronos in a relative sense is pretty good.

I wonder if there is any noticeable variation between RH3's?

I've been playing on many different keyboard for a long time. The Kronos RH3 is a good one, for sure. But, it is the first keyboard I met with this issue : the unreachable maximum velocity. I remember the old Korg T1, in 90's : there was no problem on that matter.

There is another one : the very hard pressing aftertouch (sometimes I need two fingers to get one effect. Korg didn't tell us we must do fingers muscle-strengthening !!). The calibration process can improve a bit this issue but not completely.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the input

IMHO, this is the biggest issue with the Kronos - since consistent playability is the most important aspect of any instrument.

I sold my k2 88 because of the dreadful aftertouch. I assigned a pedal to aftertouch.
I reasoned that I would be better off with the LS with much less weight. I made the right decision. I like the light touch of the keyboard and find it only slightly worse off for playing pianos but it does a very good job.

It would be great if Korg implemented a software calibration like the Kurzweil Forte uses in its equivalent to combi mode, where every program in a ‘Combi’ can have its own velocity setting.

For now, I use curve 3 or 9 and edit the velocity ranges in the HD-1 engine and alter the velocity settings in the SGX engine.

If all engines had the same calibration method as in the SGX, it would be perfect !

I haven’t found a way of calibrating the touch in the EP engine
The best I have been able to come up with is to add a different IFX to give it more bark when needed but it’s not the same.

Also, like I said, it’s more of an issue when you are controlling and external sound source

PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum velocity (127) hard to reach Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

For Logic Pro X users there is Apple's Velocity Processor plug-in ( as seen below )
I often use it to correct Kronos, and It does work very well.

I’m looking for software that changes the velocity in real time. I presume this is only after a recording?

Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum velocity (127) hard to reach Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
I presume this is only after a recording?

You can do it in real time.
Use External Instrument as seen below:

PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum velocity (127) hard to reach Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

Thank you
I’ll check it out

Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some findings in THIS THREAD.

Scroll down to the pics. Interestingly, my Virus TI keyboard, MIDI'd to the Kronos, could hit a velocity of 126-127 consistently.

My Kronos seemed to hit the highest velocities, using Curve #6.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
That's interesting because as opposed to you I found that very few keyboards I have owned over the years offered good control over the whole MIDI velocity scale except one which I still have. I personally rate the Kronos as pretty good (like 8 out of 10) for MIDI control.

If you often use a PC/laptop with your Kronos, one solution to widen its MIDI dynamics is to use a MIDI mapper (there are some good free ones online). See my sig for details on one such possible solution.

Thankyou for this. I've been playing with "midiPipe" but can't hear ant difference in the output at the moment .....

PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Maximum velocity (127) hard to reach Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

Thank you
I’ll check it out

I've been experimenting with this. It looks like a good workaround. Thanks again!

Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is a velocity scaling function in Mainstage that essentially lets you draw the response curve that you want. I assume it must be available in Logic Pro X as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: