Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another atypical STR-1 engine usage: plucking with drums :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aether

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Another atypical STR-1 engine usage: plucking with drums :) Reply with quote

Short video follow-up to my previous longer clip on atypical uses of STR-1 engine.

This time not spacey atmospheres, but what happens when one uses drum samples as pluck source:

https://youtu.be/RLQ3J6eJK3k
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks again, aether. Smile

I could see you weren't using the excitation filter here. Was the main filter in play at all? Thinking you would have a lot more opportunities to shape the sound (both pre- and post-string) using those too, even using the same sample.

Also curious what kind of camera you're using? The Kronos screen seems like one of the more difficult things to film well but you got a really nice image.
aether

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't use any filters only some reverb, so that everything that happens to the original sample's sound is caused by just the string - as I didn't want to 'cheat' or alter the sound starting from the drum.
So yes, the excitation filter could change it radically, in this case the noisy drum makes the really harpsichord-like end result, if using even different drum samples, the character of the sound gets much thinner or alters into something more plucked.
So indeed, one key word is experimentation Smile

Ah the camera, this is tedious, I just used my SLR in video mode on a tripod and a zoom lens, but I am a bit annoyed it is not high enough contrast on the display - and didn't post-process the video itself, maybe it could have more brightness and sharpness.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider the filters to be cheating at all. Anything you can feed into it is fair game, right? But it's neat that you showed it unprocessed just to hear what it sounds like. Not at all like a drum anymore!

I thought your SLR did a pretty nice job really. A lot of videos I see of the Kronos the LCD comes out with weird polarization patterns on it, so at least your video didn't have that. I thought the contrast was fine. It was all good enough to not get in the way of getting your point across, which is what's most important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: