Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome vs Pa700

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans1966

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Krome vs Pa700 Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I am indecisive between the Krome and the P700. my pretensions are: 1. Sequencer with excellent event editing tools to create sequences from scratch. 2. Excellent sound quality, with capacity for deep voice editing, and sampling possibility (the latter optional) 3. possibility of creating several layers of sound to play live. 4. possibility to record and / or export audio 5. possibility of creating styles or loops of accompaniment of any musical genre (pop, Latin, orchestral, new age) and 6. to be very light, to take it to all concerts. I know that the Kronos and the Pa4x can do these things, but my budget is not enough for any of these flagships. I thank you in advance for the help you can give me in this important decision. regards

I choose the Peace of God!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not terribly sure that a comparison between the Krome and the PA700 would be terribly accurate.

In my opinion, they are two different machines. I have a PA700 and love it. I also have other Korg synths, including a Kross and an M50.

The programmability of the PA700, with regard to sounds, is fantastic. I have made many sounds with it and they serve me well. I am sure that the Krome would have somewhat deeper programmability, especially when considering the EFX processor. The PA700 allows for one or two insert effects as well as a master dual effects unit in program mode. In sequencer mode, it allows for two insert effects and two master effects. The Krome would have the edge here.

The PA700 is an arranger; it specializes in creating/playing rhythms with all of the options of intro/ending/variations/breaks. The Krome does not have this, but does have dual polyphonic arps that can sound 'arranger like' in body only.

I imagine that the sequencer is more powerful in the Krome because you can keep multiple sequences in memory (when it is in operation; they erase when the power is turned off). The same applies to the PA700 with the sequences in memory.

I like the sequencer in the PA700. The screen is bigger than the Krome and is easier to move around. The Krome does have the piano-roll view, where the PA700 does not. The Krome has the ability to layer tracks on the same MIDI channel though (I believe), and the PA700 does not.

The PA700 also has a built-in 50 watt sound system (25W/side). It sounds very good and can also be hooked up to an external sound system. The PA700 also allows for a MIC/Guitar/Line input with EFX (not on the Line input). It is very versatile.

If you are looking for a 'one man band' board, the PA700 is really the best for the price (I know, I looked at all brands before getting the PA700).

Both read MIDI files, but I like how the PA700 treats them.

If you want a synth, then the Krome may be the better option.

I love my PA700 and am going to get another one as a backup for my main one, since I use mine daily at work. I love it and it serves me very well.

I love my other Korg synths as well as my Ensoniq VFX-SD. They all have a certain function and as an all-around unit that does everything I need, the PA700 wins over all the other arrangers that I have used (and still have a Roland E-09 and Roland BK-5). I will be selling these because I do not use them.

I would have considered the PA1000, but the PA700 was a better price and had all the features I needed. It still does. In fact, I am still discovering new things about it all the time and I've owned mine since they first came out (my serial # is under 140). The PA700 has 256mb RAM for loading samples; I do not believe that the Krome has the ability to load samples.

Again, the touch screen on the PA700 is large (7 inches) and responds very quickly. It also has a KAOSS feature that allows for KAOSS type effects in real-time.

The Krome is a synthesizer/workstation and the PA700 is an arranger with lots of extra features.

I love the PA700 Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
hans1966

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Harry, thank you for taking part of your valuable time for this detailed response. the truth is I have a Yamaha PSR - S775, and I am looking for an additional keyboard that will be useful for concerts and also for musical production. I want to have the Korg and also keep the S775. My goal is to work with both technologies and get the best out of both worlds. the money that I have is reaches me for the equivalent between a Pa700 or a Krome EX of 61 keys. I love the soundtracks and the curtains for live show. Having said that, I think I lean a bit more for the Krome, since its sound is deeper due to those wonderful combinations that look like a trip to another dimension. regards

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the additional information. Since you already have a capable arranger, I would certainly go with the Krome.

If you did not already have an arranger, then I might have leaned toward the PA700.

You may also consider the Kross 2 or even the M50. I still get A LOT of mileage from my M50 and they are fairly inexpensive, but still has great features.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
hans1966

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Harry, thanks again for your response. the Kross has a small screen, and the sounds, although pleasant, are not like those of Krome. As for the M50 I have heard very little. So far Krome is winning. Moving on to another topic I downloaded the Caquewalk BandLab software, to record the S775 using my Yamaha MG10XU mixer as an audio interface through a USB cable, which goes from the console to the computer, but I have not managed to record anything decent. I have done several tests but there are sound and latency problems. what should I do? Do I need a different audio interface? Thanks in advance for the help. regards

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check your computer and see how it is running. If you have any extra features turned on (wireless, etc.), turn them off when recording and see if that works. You may need more RAM in your machine. Having the specs of your machine might help so it could be diagnosed further and see if there is a way to make the latency less. You may be able to lower the buffer rates in the program or on the interface as well, but without knowing the computer specs, it is hard to tell.

I have a bit of a latency problem when I am recording after a stereo track has already been laid down, but I have a less powerful laptop with only 4Gb of RAM so I know what my problems are Smile I generally do not record to my computer anyway unless I am only running two tracks. I use mine for mastering and file conversion.

You also might try directly connecting your PSR-775 to the computer an running it that way. If memory serves, the 775 has audio in as well and may provide a faster communication speed to your computer.

Most of my audio is sequenced and mixed in the machines on a per-song basis and when I need a multi-track recording, I generally use the Tascam DP32SD. Since the files are in WAV format, I can move them to my computer for further manipulation if needed.

I agree on your comments about the Kross 2 screen (and the Kross 1 as well), but the sounds are really good. No, they are not like the sounds on the Krome - the Krome far exceeds the Kross 2 in terms of sounds. It simply has better sounds but the Kross 2 is a really good machine and is also a USB audio interface.

The M50 is an older machine but I doubt that you would use the sounds on it that the 775 does better (piano, etc...). Ther M50 is a cut down version of the M3. This means that it has the original 256Mb of samples that the original M3 had before its expansion pack was released. It is, in my opinion, a very capable machine and its ARPS still inspire me Smile

I actually have a Kross 1 and I use it for certain sounds (EP's, custom lead guitars, etc...). It performs well, especially considering its wave memory.

Grace,
Harry
hans1966

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Harry, I have a PC with an Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz with Windows 8 operating system 64 bit x64 processor and RAM is 4Gb. I think you're right to say that you have to record the audio on the S775, and then pass it to the Cakewalk, but if besides recording the keyboard I also want to record my own voice and more instruments or voices, how can I do this with the Cakewalk ?. I only have one microphone and it's the Shure SMS54. Thanks again for your help. regards

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your computer should be powerful enough to record to. I would make sure that extra features are turned off though, as that may make things go faster (less latency). It also frees up extra RAM so you have more available for your DAW.

According to my research, the Yamaha PSR-S775 has a microphone input. Maybe, after recording the soundbed audio to the computer, you can send the microphone signal to the computer as well on another track. I believe that the PSR-S775 acts as an audio interface. The keyboard would allow you to basically record up to two tracks at a time to your computer, through the keyboard itself.

If you have an external USB Audio interface, you could also use that for your mic channels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: