Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using MIDI signal to play a note on an external keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Using MIDI signal to play a note on an external keyboard Reply with quote

I have my Kronos hooked up to a Korg TR. I have worked out how to change the Programme / Combi on the TR when I select a particular Combi on the Kronos (by setting up an EXT timbre in the Combi). This means I'm almost ready to play immediately.

However for one particular song, I am using the TR to play a synth line that starts with a portamento slide from C6 down to E2. At the moment, I am 'anchoring' the C6 by playing it on the TR before the song starts, so when I hit E2 the portamento works as desired.

Is it possible to send a MIDI message from the Kronos to the TR when I select the Kronos Combi so that as well as selecting the appropriate Combi on the TR, it also tells it so play C6 (quietly), so it's effectively ready to play?

Thanks

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be done by creating a Song or Sequence using the Combi, and having just one low velocity note in it. The Song would need to be selected and Play pressed.

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's possible to have the Kronos - in any MODE - send a MIDI note ON upon switching Set List slots, or Combis, or Sequences.

As voip suggested, you'll need to press at least one more button after selecting a different combi/song/program.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming your hands are busy, if you had a foot controller that sends out MIDI notes and/or volume, or maybe a NanoPad in hold mode, you could probably achieve this in a few different ways. Does the note actually need to be held for the slide to happen? Or can you hit it once and release?

The sequencer method that VOIP mentioned is cool (probably my preference if I didn't have any kind of foot controller or nanopad), because you can actually set it up so that it makes the program change for you and plays the note at a velocity of 1 and hold it just as long as necessary, so you don't have to worry about timing when playing live. But you will need to start the sequencer at some point before (footswitch?). An alternative to that is using RPPR, but then you lose a chunk of the keyboard on the Kronos.

Staying in combi mode, if you don't need the drum track, you could use a custom pattern to trigger the one note on the TR -- still gotta start it somehow, and stop it. Footswitch... You just need to set the drum track channel to same as the TR.

The KARMA on/off switch can activate its MIDI Filter for a particular MIDI channel, which you could use to send a volume message to the TR, and that requires programming the KARMA module to not run, but you would have to hit the switch again to restore the volume. Again a footswitch can do that. With some careful programming, you could even have KARMA play the C6 for you, but I wouldn't go this route personally.

Another option -- and I am leaning towards this one -- is to sample the C6 to E2 slide and just create a program for that in the Kronos, thus avoiding the need to do anything but play the Kronos. This would be the absolutely best way to ensure repeatability and avoid messing things up playing live.
Mersip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas.

In answer to the questions, I only need to press the note once (I don't have to hold it) prior to executing the slide. My foot controller is for program up so isn't available to help out.

My objective was to try and do this all in one step (at the point of selecting the Combi). I can see from the answers that doing what I'm currently doing is probably the best approach (although sampling the slide is also a possibility but something I haven't done before).

Thanks everyone for your interest and ideas.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: