Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 : Real Internal SSD Free Space ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding bad sectors of your SSD, remove it from Kronos, and diagnoze with some tools (like i.e. HD Tune) to get a picture if there are any/or how bad it is.
If it's really bad, dispose and replace SSD, no point to have it inside Kronos, it might even cause crashes.

What's the largest SSD you got to work in the Kronos ?
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=752609&sid=1ccd78b5991808db3f059b64a7e97c82
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

So, I just tried to install on 250 gb SSD from DVD's. First it did a partition, then begin to format. Unfortunately, format got stucked after few minutes and never ended process. I've attempt several times but the process stoped always at the same moment.

I have never tried to work with DVD installer , I don't know what could be uncompatible there with your specific SSD , normally this SSD size is supported by installed.
IMO a single system 120GB SSD is already too much for Kronos samples handling and you can fit 3 full Ram 2GB different custom samples SETs plus all EXs factory
resources , for all other resources you can use faster USB 3 thumb drives.
My cloning workflow for customers is always PC software Pro utilities for cloning and partitioning and never got a failure for any SSD size or brand.

BTW : HD Tune Pro is not a sufficient software tool due to check and repair SSD bad cells !
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic is the first diagnostic tool for experts to read SSD driver history and then Paragon tools , AOMEI Partition Technician and
HDD Regenerator can do the rest if the overall SSD cells are in good state.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
HDD Regenerator can do the rest if the overall SSD cells are in good state.

HDD Regenerator is a very good software, but to use it on SSD drives I find it inappriopriate and I would not advice anyone.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
HDD Regenerator is a very good software, but to use it on SSD drives I find it inappriopriate and I would not advice anyone.

If you knew how it works in deep level , you should ... it just refreshes undefined cells logic state and recovers them due to save allocated sectors
group that is excluded by SSD micro-controller from global directory , DiskFresh and some other similar utilities do exactly the same very useful task
and can be applied to any magnetic or nand gate flash rom media !
Anyway I just mentioned some utilities that I successfully use for years as an engineer , helping anyone that is interested , no big deal Smile

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

If you knew how it works in deep level , you should ... it just refreshes undefined cells logic state and recovers them due to save allocated sectors
group that is excluded by SSD micro-controller from global directory , DiskFresh and some other similar utilities do exactly the same very useful task
and can be applied to any magnetic or nand gate flash rom media !
Anyway I just mentioned some utilities that I successfully use for years as an engineer , helping anyone that is interested , no big deal Smile

HDD Regenerator’s primary target are magnetic media to repair magnetic errors, and deal with physical sectors.
SSD drives don't get bad sectors and they have no physical sectors.
When comes to refreshing, HDD Regenerator’s algorithm is not optimised for SSD ( acc. to Dmitriy Primochenko ) type media.
It’s preferred to have a good quality SSD that perform a background refresh technique to restore the charge in cells rather than running tools ( most ? )
Badly implemented Refreshing (like defragmenting) is doing just an opposite and might cause a shortened lifespan of SSD.
And I would not be worry about SSD data retention in typical environment (temperature).
SSD will become obsolete quicker than it will lose its data.

The only use of HDD Regenerator would be its S.M.A.R.T reporting, when comes to SSD.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon , I don't have time for lectures , let me know better as an electric engineer how things are working in nand cells
and microcontrollers in SSD & Flash Rom , just try it on a faulty flash Rom and you will be amazed ... Wink

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for adding one point to this interesting talk, I want to mention that at the beginning I got an issue about loading samples time. Yet, along my different tests, after formating and reinstalling Kornos system on the original SSD and re-connecting my second SSD on SATA 1, this problem has disappeared.
That's one point.

Now, about the present matter, as I told before, I will try cloning the SSD 1. On the larger SSD.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response was only due to help in your questions not to chat , so this is your topic and you're the priority of talking here !
Therefore , Yes this is the best option you have , try it and post any question in order to help you finish the task.

Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
The only use of HDD Regenerator would be its S.M.A.R.T reporting, when comes to SSD.

I must correct myself as some SSD drives have nonstandard S.M.A.R.T attributes, therefore HDD Regenerator S.M.A.R.T. monitor feature is not advisable as well.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
My response was only due to help in your questions not to chat , so this is your topic and you're the priority of talking here !
Therefore , Yes this is the best option you have , try it and post any question in order to help you finish the task.

No, I don't consider your posts were irrelevant. There's no problem ! I'm happy to read and learn ! thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: