Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nanokontrol 2 & ableton - CC mode broken & Live mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vonoom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: nanokontrol 2 & ableton - CC mode broken & Live mode Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I've had a nanoKontrol 2 for a little while now but I've only just now began trying to implement it in my live set. I've discovered quite a big issue which I can't find any info about anywhere, so I hope one of you can help me out.

My problem is this. When I put the kontrol in 'Live' mode it works as expected, but once I start customizing some of the rotaries, and especially the sliders, they begin acting weird. When i move a slider all the way to the top or bottom, the ableton screen jumps to the channel that it would normally control, even though I've reassigned it. It doesn't actually affect that channel, and I could maybe live with it if it didn't cause the audio playing to skip for a split second. Needless to say this is totally unacceptable. Also if I move many things at once, I get the same skips.

Ok, so I try to put it in CC mode instead, but this is where things get really weird! The rotaries only react on about 30% of their movement, and when they react, they jump around, and even go in the opposite direction sometimes, which means it's completely unusable. What?!?

I've tried reinstalling drivers, the firmware is updated. I've tried just about everything I can think of! Is my unit broken? This is really irritating, and to top it off, I have a gig on saturday. I was hoping to use the nano, but it seems unlikely at this stage. Help please!!!
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but have you checked to make sure there are no prior midi maps when you go into Midi Map mode?
Also, have you tried the Ableton Template that comes with NanoKontrol?
joemmi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried resetting all settings in the Korg Editor?
Seems actually like a broken unit to me.
I use the NK2 in live mode (much more flexible in Live) and also assigned some other elements to buttons and knobs.
I agree that still Live selects the channel of the element you are moving, so I mainly did reassignments affecting the SAME channel but different elements (Clip Launch, Cutoff frequency,...). This way this is no problem.

To check if your device works correctly, I would use a MIDI tool like MIDI OX (Windows) and see in the IN monitor what midi messages are sent when you move the sliders and see if you get values from 0 to 127.

I also noticed a lag if you move several elements at once. But this is understandable me thinks given the serial and slow midi protocol.

Good luck!
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joemmi wrote:

I use the NK2 in live mode (much more flexible in Live) and also assigned some other elements to buttons and knobs.

Sorry, not trying to highjack, just curious..

Have you tried the Live Template and how good is it?
I don't have NK2, I've been using LP and was wondering if I could get by with just NK2. I only use LP for launching a clip to record or to play back a clip, I don't even use the mixer at all on LP.
Would you say NK2 would suffice or be better, being it has faders and buttons?
razraz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm having the exact same problem...not sure if its to do with sensitivity or something, but the controls move by themselves, twitch back and forth when I map a knob in Live, totally unusable Sad A similar thing happens in Traktor Pro, even after messing with the sensitivity etc in Traktor settings...If I map EQ high etc. I move the knob and it moves only to the max or middle or min. it will not gradually increase on "gain"or anything so again its pretty useless at the moment. I have seen many youtube videos of people using nanoKONTROL fine! whats wrong with nano2?

edit: OK I tested MidiOX and the sliders value seems to be going to a max of 79?
razraz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I reset settings to factory default by holding down a few buttons when I power up the device (I think that info was in the online manual.) Seems to be working well now.
Hope this helps someone with a similar issue, cheers.
bartend7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
joemmi wrote:

Sorry, not trying to highjack, just curious..

Have you tried the Live Template and how good is it?
I don't have NK2, I've been using LP and was wondering if I could get by with just NK2. I only use LP for launching a clip to record or to play back a clip, I don't even use the mixer at all on LP.
Would you say NK2 would suffice or be better, being it has faders and buttons?

i use the two together and they work well together. nk2 for mixer and lp for launching. if i had to choose one it would probably be nk2 although it doesnt look as cool,
ThreeNinjas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razraz wrote:
Ok so I reset settings to factory default by holding down a few buttons when I power up the device (I think that info was in the online manual.) Seems to be working well now.
Hope this helps someone with a similar issue, cheers.

Do you remember what buttons? Both the online manual and the printed manual I have only show the button combination for entering various DAW modes and CC mode.

The Ableton mode doesn't do what I need it to do (can't edit button behavior) and CC mode basically doesn't work at all.
ThreeNinjas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I believe I've figured out my issue, so maybe this will help people in the future.

In the manual where it tells you to select "Mackie Control" under control surface and again under input / output?

DON'T DO THAT if you want any kind of customization. It's my understanding that this protocol is what allows it to automatically be mapped to Live's volume controls, pans, etc, but if you customize anything at all it will screw it up. I just unselected the Mackie stuff and it started working like it's supposed to.
elastic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, had exact same problems, as soon as i unselected mackie it acted fine.

Great help guys, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: