Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doofus needs help with creating Triton style arpeggiation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Doofus needs help with creating Triton style arpeggiation Reply with quote

All I want to do is create a short pattern in a grid where the notes play in a pattern I have created. So if I create a 4 step 0,0,1,2 (as the old Tritons do it) then-

F-Ab-C plays
F, F, Ab, C
F, F, Ab, C
F, F, Ab, C
F, F, Ab, C

F-Ab-Db play
F, F, Ab, Db
F, F, Ab, Db
F, F, Ab, Db
F, F, Ab, Db

This took me 20 seconds to do on a Triton Extreme.

What is the minimum I need to do this on a Kronos? I have tried the built in KARMA and given up on it a few times. I have the software which shows enormous complexity but I still struggle to understand it. I have never come across a tutorial which adequately explains. Is there an example GE I can use and modify to do this simple arpeggiator task? Not Up or Down motions, specific steps in a grid pattern.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I'm really just trying to learn the Karma Kronos software and by no means an expert. This may not be the best or easiest way to do this. But I did get it to work, and typed up a little tutorial. Hope it works for you too.

The KK software is required for this, and I'm assuming you've already done the initial set up to connect it to the Kronos. If not, refer to the KK manual or Charles Ferraro's videos stickied on this forum board.

NOTE: the forum software doesn't render this link correctly. It cuts it off. Be sure to copy/paste the entire link into a new browser window instead of just clicking it.

Tutorial PDF: https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArVvnEREGK0vhdljvRA3Nu3dGSceTA
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to document it, I really do appreciate it. It is close and it does do what I asked for 3 notes and upwards motion. It also broke the ice for me in editing a GE. It isn't playing according to a pattern though. Less than 3 notes does an octave to make a 3 note pattern whereas a pattern would leave silent steps. And I'm not able to edit the order.

Thanks again!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re welcome. I will confess this is also my very first attempt at editing a GE. I figure you have to start somewhere and your request seemed like reasonable thing to try. Might be a case of the blind leading the blind, but maybe we can figure it out together. The tutorials out there do seem to stop short of editing GEs.

So you are saying on the Triton, if you hold down 2 notes, say C-E, you’d expect a pattern of C-C-E-rest? I’ve never had a Triton.

There are a few places in the Karma manual where it specifically calls out Triton emulation, using a different GE type (Generated - Gated) than what the ARP Up model we used here does (Generated - Riff). And if you set the gate type to Vel CP with GE Type Generated - Gated, its supposed to use the Cluster group to specify note order. Time to explore that next I guess!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I was able to get somewhere using the Generated - Gated GE Type.

Want to try this set of steps and see how it works for you? It could probably still use some tweaking but I'm starting to figure it out.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArVvnEREGK0vhdllCPRadtJUbXu6bw
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done it! It's almost exactly the same except for the Slider 5 if you want notes silenced. This is big for me because I can move some favorite patterns to the Kronos and stop missing the old Triton arpeggiator. I've read some karma labs articles claiming to help with this but never got it this far.

Many, many thanks my friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: