Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EX's Libraries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flabis66

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: EX's Libraries Reply with quote

Sorry, again a noob question:

I'm reading the Kronos Operation guide (i'm in the Sampling chapter), and I don't understand what is an Ex's (Expansion Sample). Can you explain and give an exemple when we use them?
Speakers: M-Audio BX5
Headphones: Sennheizer ATH-M50x, AKG K712pro, AKG K240
Computer: MacBook Air M1
Stand: K&M 18810
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
... and I don't understand what is an Ex's (Expansion Sample)

You have an answer on page 16.

EXs
EXs stands for EXpansion Samples. These can be loaded or not, as you wish. The KRONOS comes with a number of EXs libraries, including multiple gigabytes of samples.

Flabis66 wrote:
... and give an exemple when we use them?

You are already using them. See Global -> Options Info
There should be a list of your authorized EXs.
Another an example is Kronos shop which sells Expansion samples.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EX samples are what come in kronos factory set and other sets that you buy from korg shop to install on kronos.
The other option is user sample and that is where you make your own sample or insert whatever sample you want.
You can make your own user samples on Kronos but you cannot make your own EX sample library on Kronos.
You can remove or replace EX samples in Kronos, or install new EX libraries from Korg shop.
EX libraries install with a special key or authorization code from Korg.
Flabis66

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I already read that but still don’t know what it is . So an EX is an instrument ? Like a piano, before the adjustment we make in a program?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
So an EX is an instrument ?

It's a container, a packaging for programs, combis, samples as a one (library).
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EX's Libraries Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
Sorry, again a noob question

Don't worry about the noob questions.
I've had my Kronos for a year and a half... Been playing keys for almost 50 years... And I still feel like a noob.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to search the un-loaded multisamples, and then add them to new programs/combis such that everything gets auto-loaded and playable the next time I start Kronos.

For example, I like a horn section program with velocity-triggered falls. There are a few such programs/combis that currently get auto-loaded, but I want to tweak them. Most have falls that are either too short or too long. While browsing the unloaded multi-samples in disk mode, I have stumbled across samples that sound just right. But then I don't know how to find them again... Or how to modify existing programs/combis to replace the current fall multisamples with the ones from the disk. Noob alert!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An EXi can be any one of a range of "instruments" within 8 of the Kronos' 9 engines. The HD-1 engine is not included, even though it shares most of the parameters associated with the other engines.

From the Parameter Guide, page 173:
"EXi, or Expansion Instruments, provide a wide variety of synthesis technologies. KRONOS includes eight EXi:
• AL-1 Analog Synthesizer
• CX-3 Tonewheel Organ
• STR-1 Plucked String.
• MS-20EX analog modeling synth
• PolysixEX analog modeling synth
• MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM synthesizer
• SGX-2 Premium Piano
• EP-1 MDS Electric Piano
You can combine any two EXi within an EXi Program. Each EXi has its own, very different parameters, which you can access via the EXi1 and EXi2 buttons at the bottom of the screen. All EXi Programs also include a standard palette of capabilities, including effects, KARMA, key tracking, and the Common LFO and Common Step Sequencer. These standard parameters are available in the pages under the Common button, and are described in this chapter."

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
Thanks, I already read that but still don’t know what it is . So an EX is an instrument ? Like a piano, before the adjustment we make in a program?

Yes it is the raw samples before any adjustments are made in the synth engine program.
The samples are packaged in libraries to use in any programs where they can apply, but also packaged in groups per each program they would work for.
One piano in SGX alone, can use hundreds of samples just to make the piano and they go together not just in the ascending and descending order, but also matched to velocity depth, Una Corda scheme of resonance and also parts to respond to Damper input for damper noise simulation.
A single note on an SGX program piano, can have a packet of more than 8 samples working for it. Maybe even more than 24 per each note.

HD-1 can group 8 samples into velocity layers and do that for each of the 2 OSC parts of the synth engine programs. But HD-1 can mix up the sample selection between user samples, EX and ROM.

SGX is limited to the EX libraries assigned to it.
There are specific and complicated sample packaging needed to make SGX do what it does for enhanced piano realism. But still SGX allows you to choose between 64 piano type options per each program. It will switch out the sample packages to change the piano type, but will not let you have access to individual samples for your own customization of each note and velocity layer.
If you ever end up in global mode sample management, thismis good to remember before you go managing SGX EX library in a way that will defeat any SGX program’s specific and inflexible sample needs.

HD-1 is where you can have access to each sample set for the piano, but still it packages individual note samples to make a piano, but not in as complex a way as SGX synth engine does.

Some Synth engines use RAM, some use ROM, and others use only the old fashioned tone genrator.

So for 9 synth engines, they all make programs in differnt ways. SGX and HD-1 are very much tied to EX libraries but can also use ROM.
The other synth engines vary in how they model their raw sound working in the program.
The regular samples recorded, are turned to PCM for digital sound and processing in kronos. PCM is a form digital modeling of samples. Digital modelling is what makes all the sounds compatible for digital synth engine adjustments such as with the filters and other sythesizer parameters.

So when you see the sound modeling list below, it comes from the Korg website for kronos specifications and lists each synth engine and how it goes about producing sound for the synth engine to adjust.
Even a simple analog sample recorded from natural acoustics, is rationalized as a digital sound model(PCM) in Kronos brain.
And the same for a raw crude pulse from a digital tone generator. All used to model a sound which can be further adjusted by the synth engine/s.

~~~~~~~~~~~
SGX-2: Premium Piano (Acoustic Piano)
EP-1: MDS Electric Piano (Electric Piano)
HD-1: High Definition Synthesizer (PCM)
AL-1: Analog Synthesizer (Analog Modeling)
CX-3: Tonewheel Organ (Tonewheel Organ Modeling)
STR-1: Plucked Strings (Physical Modeling)
MOD-7: Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer (VPM Synthesis)
MS-20EX: Component Modeling Technology (Analog Modeling)
PolysixEX: Component Modeling Technology (CMT Analog Modeling)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is EX and then there is EXi.
The two are not to be confused or assumed to be the same thing.

EXi is for a category of synth engines and usually the synth engines that do not base their sounds on EX library sample PCM’s.

I may be mistaken in the cases where an EXi synth engine will allow use of both EX library PCM as well as other synth modeling types that are normal to EXi category.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are EXi - Expansion instruments, and EXs - Expansion samples. The former can make use of the latter, and the HD-1 engine also can make use of Expansion samples, even though it isn't classified as an EXi.
Flabis66

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, i feel noober now Sad

Let's see in a concrete case:

If I go in the nature and record a few ducks sounds (the duck is the "instrument"). Each sound is saved as a wav file, a sample, right? The collection of these samples are the Expansion Samples?
Then i can create an (EXi ???) where i attribute each sample to a keyboard key.
Then i create a program where i select the (EXi???) and set the vibrato, velocity, attack...
And then when i play a melody I will hear the ducks singing.

So the Exi are similar as VST's? and the Ex's are the wav files in the VST container? Am I right?
And the 8 engines are like NI plugin's that contains boutons to modify the sound in different ways.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
omg, i feel noober now Sad

Let's see in a concrete case:

If I go in the nature and record a few ducks sounds (the duck is the "instrument"). Each sound is saved as a wav file, a sample, right? The collection of these samples are the Expansion Samples?
Then i can create an (EXi ???) where i attribute each sample to a keyboard key.
Then i create a program where i select the (EXi???) and set the vibrato, velocity, attack...
And then when i play a melody I will hear the ducks singing.

So the Exi are similar as VST's? and the Ex's are the wav files in the VST container? Am I right?
And the 8 engines are like NI plugin's that contains boutons to modify the sound in different ways.

Your personally recorded duck samples, will be slotted into “User Sample” slots.
That is basically the same as EX sample and used just the same.
EX libraries tend to require factory key to install.
But Korg has made sure to include thousands of empty “user sample” slots.

Always look for your personally made samples in “User Sample” category and you can use them to replace EX samples outside of SGX engine.

You create a “Multisample” with 128 maximum index or one sample per each of 128 notes. And then you can insert the “Multisample” into the HD-1 OSC options or in EXi ,wherever and if that is allowed by the system for EXi programs.
There is also the option for Wave sequence that can be designed in Global mode and uses samples from User and other internal sources.
And then you can choose Wave sequence instead of multi sample, in your program.

After that, yes you can hear your ducks singing with you applying vibrato, velocity, attack, FX and much more.

Yes EXi and EX’s are like the VST with WAV files or tone generator assignments.
Some VST may use other format of samples that is not WAV file format.
Kronos can support 2 or three sample format types. Digital sound modelling is complicated and allows for various types of code to be used and thus create problems of compatibility between samples and sample players.

Yes the 9 synth engines can be percieved like plugins that are in a DAW setting.
Each with its own style of synthesis and buttons for parameter modification.
And they each come ready mapped to kronos hardware controls.
Also Karma can be percieved as its own midi works device that can plug in or unplug if not needed. Karma is not a synth but it is what every synth is waiting to plug into via midi.
Flabis66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody, it’s clear now.

I didn’t expect so long answers, and didn’t ask how to use them, but the manual and all the video tutorials use so many abréviations that I never heard before. And each description of a term in the manual use other abréviations.
So finally I’m totally lost.

But my goodness, I never thought the Kronos will be so complicated to learn. I’m 52 and all along my life I learned a lot of things, from audio visual industry to computers (hardware, os and softwares, even development and web design), and many other things very fast but the Kronos is far the most difficult !
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flabis66,

The Kronos is indeed an enormous synthesizer to master, but don't worry if you feel intimidated at first with it. With time, you will learn and master the sections/modes you want. And with practice, everything becomes easier. And many users only scratched the surface of their Kronos enormous potential.

I see you seem to be francophone, so may I suggest this video below for a start. It is a tutorial on how to sample a simple sound. In your example of ducks, it is even more simple, since you would not need to loop your samples. Start with easy things, only one sample first, then create a program with it and learn how to save everything properly. After a few attempts, everything becomes simpler. Le secret c'est la pratique ! Bon clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtSrqYvPE4
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Flabis6,

I've got my fisrt synth 40 years ago !! Since then I played on many other keyboards. However, the first time I opened my Kronos, I felt completely lost !! Without knowing where to begin !

Slowly, reading manuals, listening to tutorials, in french and in english, I began to tame the "beast".

What could help is to think of the Kronos not as an instrument but as a full studio, because it's the case. The Kronos is a Worstation, not a simple instrument. So just imagine a room with several keyboards and instruments, drums, percussions, a mixer, a sampler, an effect unit and a multitrack recorder. Here is a Kronos.
This helped me a lot to think like that.

The second thing wich helped me is to know exactly what I wanted to do before turning on the Kronos.
Do I just want to play pliano ? Do I want to play pad sounds ? Do I want to listen and practise some drums ? Do I want to record what I'm playing ? Do I want to compose a song with piano, bass, drums ? Do I want to sample a beautiful sound I just heard and playing with it ? Etc, etc;

So, I suggest you asked this to yourself before turning it on : what I want to do with my Kronos, just now ? Once this question answered, either you know how to do or not.
If not, there are many way to do : this forum, youtube, manuals. But keep your very specific question in mind not other one.

That way, you will progress step by step. But get rid of the idea you will completely master the Kronos in some days or even some weeks. It will take many times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: