Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recreating specific Prophet 5 pad sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichChord

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Recreating specific Prophet 5 pad sound Reply with quote

Hi folks,

As my 3rd post, I'd like to ask a question to my fellow Kronos users.

I've been looking to emulate this specific Prophet 5 pad sound using one of the Kronos' VA engines:

https://youtu.be/Cvv_OllhxfI

and a similar sound as an intro from one of the late great Allan Holdsworth's tracks, Sand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2HlyupMt8A

It's that distinctive 'cutoff' effect when a new chord is played that i particularly like. A friend of mine said it was because of the 5 note polyphony limit of the P5 that it does that, but i reckon it could also be an envelope parameter.(?)

So my question is, can this pad and in particular that abrupt cutoff effect be reproduced on a Kronos?

Any help in this is very much appreciated Smile

Thanks!

p.s. i know the Prophet 5 preset is called Mellow Strings or Soft Strings or something similar as i used to have it on a Pro-52 VST back in the day.
Tools: Korg Kronos 61(for live) Korg Kronos 2 61(home studio) Korg 01/Wfd (x2), Korg TR Rack, Yamaha MoDX7, Yamaha SY99, Modal Electronics Cobalt 8x, Roland XV-5080, Roland JD-990, Roland A90, Akai MPC X, PC with Ableton Live 11 and all kinds of VST's
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos has really no limits at all, except the time you have to program it. I can achieve any synth sound I want with my Kronos (ELP's Hoedown Moog ascending synth, JMJ Laser Harp, etc.).

The pad sound you mention is for sure possible to create as well, it is just a matter of tweaking with the parameters. I would personally do it in AL-1. The most important part for you will be to set the amplitude envelope parameters correctly. Start with filters fully opened, draw the amplitude envelope correctly, then adjust filter stuff, then add effects, etc. Remember you can also impose a polyphony limit on any program/EXi.
RichChord

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
The Kronos has really no limits at all, except the time you have to program it. I can achieve any synth sound I want with my Kronos (ELP's Hoedown Moog ascending synth, JMJ Laser Harp, etc.).

The pad sound you mention is for sure possible to create as well, it is just a matter of tweaking with the parameters. I would personally do it in AL-1. The most important part for you will be to set the amplitude envelope parameters correctly. Start with filters fully opened, draw the amplitude envelope correctly, then adjust filter stuff, then add effects, etc. Remember you can also impose a polyphony limit on any program/EXi.

That will get me started! Will most likely dive into editing this eve!
Wink

Thank you very much for the tips, KK!
Tools: Korg Kronos 61(for live) Korg Kronos 2 61(home studio) Korg 01/Wfd (x2), Korg TR Rack, Yamaha MoDX7, Yamaha SY99, Modal Electronics Cobalt 8x, Roland XV-5080, Roland JD-990, Roland A90, Akai MPC X, PC with Ableton Live 11 and all kinds of VST's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: