Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Nubass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Volca Nubass Reply with quote

Just had this brought to my attention:

https://www.korg.com/au/products/dj/volca_nubass/

Demo video:

I'm very surprised by the use of tubes of the oscillators, gives a nice distorted 303 sound to it. No mention of the slope of the filter but it sound pretty nice and almost that classic acid bass machine.

They could have thought about the name a bit more; I read it as nub ass at first glance Laughing
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prefer bassbot for that, 100%.
disappointed they didn't offer another programmable thing, like the FM.
seems like just another run at what the Bass wanted to be. and there are
plenty of 303 candidates.

tube osc ? what's the benefit?
i would be mad for a little analogue polysynth with memories, poly800,
polysix, or just something with user presets, digital or analogue. the FM
can be quite versatile, in lots of roles, but would be nice to have an
analogue/hybrid companion for it, and the Keys is a bit too limited.

honestly, i'm perplexed that they did this one.
mihu

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volcas are entry level products and offer a lot for the money. Quite obviously they are not for everyone. I have no plans to buy them, but I'm glad Korg is expanding the line of affordable synths. With the exception of OK GO which seems like developed in marketing department every unit is quite different and offers something interesting.

Judging from demos nubass sounds very good - perhaps due to vacuum tube oscillator? Wink

The filter is most probably 24 dB like the original TB-303.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihu wrote:
Volcas are entry level products and offer a lot for the money. Quite obviously they are not for everyone. I have no plans to buy them, but I'm glad Korg is expanding the line of affordable synths. With the exception of OK GO which seems like developed in marketing department every unit is quite different and offers something interesting.

Judging from demos nubass sounds very good - perhaps due to vacuum tube oscillator? Wink

The filter is most probably 24 dB like the original TB-303.

OK GO sampler was definitely a marketing ploy as the band was running about licensing their name onto a bunch of stuff at the time including perfume.

The filter isn't hard enough to be a 24dB, but still sounds steeper than the 12dB that Korg are using a lot lately. The TB 303 filter was a 24dB LPF but not a 'moog' transistor ladder but a diode ladder and somehow ended up with a 18dB slope (techie stuff I'm not going to try to explain). I've got a Metro Modular Steel Falcon 1/2/3/4 Pole LPF that is some hybrid of the Roland and Polivoks filter that actually does a beautiful job of sounding like the 303 filter on it's 3 pole output (and a devastating 4 pole that really hammers the frequencies about it's cutoff out of existence).

I have to agree the osc's do seem to add a certain something to them. I don't know enough about electronics to know what the waveform they produce looks like but I'm thinking it's gotta be a distorted, slightly squared-off and fuzzy shape.

ShoNuff wrote:
prefer bassbot for that, 100%.
disappointed they didn't offer another programmable thing, like the FM.
seems like just another run at what the Bass wanted to be. and there are
plenty of 303 candidates.

tube osc ? what's the benefit?
i would be mad for a little analogue polysynth with memories, poly800,
polysix, or just something with user presets, digital or analogue. the FM
can be quite versatile, in lots of roles, but would be nice to have an
analogue/hybrid companion for it, and the Keys is a bit too limited.

honestly, i'm perplexed that they did this one.

I really like it's sound. Although it does come across as a 303 attempt, I think it's more of an attempt at the concept and not a clone. The tube osc's are aren't a gimmick as much as a way to provide a more kranky bass sound that will sit with an electric guitar over the top I feel. Only other synth I can think of that used tubes was in a modular oscillator made by Metasonix, a company who make everything out of tubes including intentionally over-the-top distortion units that only exist to make your sound something beyond trash (see their TX-3 but be warned the unit's name and user notes will offend).

With regards to the polysix/poly800, I hear you on that, but with their focus on the minilogues currently I have a feeling they don't want to make anything that might hurt sales of those unit. I am interested in a desk-top XD. I has most of my programming desires contained though could do with more modulation options.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here

Last edited by megamarkd on Fri May 17, 2019 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mihu

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubes can make a difference especially when overdriven. This is exactly applied in the nubass VTO which has saturation for the sub oscillator.

Classical tubes are in fact quite rare on synths. Apart from Metasonix there is Erica Synths Fusion series modules and some diy projects. Worth mentioning are also ancestors of synths like Ondes Martenot or Trautonium.

As for the TB-303 filter I will stick with 24dB slope following the detailed explanations provided by Tim Stinchcombe:
http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode

See also to Florian Anwanders table with Roland filters:
http://www.florian-anwander.de/roland_filters/index.html
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(least said about OKGO the better :p i'd never heard of them, and it was a
while before i knew why there was that version of the Sample)

i just think that if you want a tb303 clone, there's the bassbot. don't want to
re-hash the 303 debate one more time - this one sounds very like the mb33mkII.

i still don't understand why they do two interesting-looking ones, and then
chuck this in. nothing really new there, valve or not.

the one thing i'm really looking out for is a decent little programmable
polyphonic analogue. whether or not it would dent sales of the bigger ones.
it's a different market, isn't it.. they did the FM, and they could do something
similar with DCO poly.

i've had originals, keyboard and rack, sold them because they were too big.
currently have a jx03; it's ok. but it isn't analogue, and seems much more
delicate than a volca.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: