Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed velocity on a program in combi mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennishhong

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Fixed velocity on a program in combi mode Reply with quote

Hi! This is what I'd like to do, ideally:

I have a combination that contains five different programs. I want to fix the velocity sensitivity on only one program, so that no matter how hard I hit a key, that program will sound with the same velocity. Basically, I'm turning off velocity sensitivity on one program within a combination.

Is this possible?

If not, I should still be able to do this within the program editor itself, right? Because I've been Googling and sifting through the forums, but I still can't figure out how exactly I would do this. Thanks in advance!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Not at the Krome to confirm this, but try going to Combi edit page 4 (P4 Zone/Delay page), select the Vel Zone tab 1-8 or 9-16 that relates to the relevant timbre and for that timbre, set Top Velocity to 128, Bottom Velocity to 1 and both Top Slope and Bottom Slope to 00.

dennishhong

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I checked the combi edit page, and the numbers you mentioned are already the default setting. I tried playing around with them in different combinations, but couldn't get them to fix the velocity. I also reread the Krome's Parameter Guide, and ... ugh, I'm not really understanding how this all works. Here's what it says:

Quote:
Top Slope [000…120]

Specifies the number of velocity steps over which the original volume will be reached, starting from the Top Velocity.

0: The volume will be at the original value from the top velocity.

120: The volume will decrease as the velocity approaches the top velocity.

Bottom Slope [000…120]

Specifies the number of velocity steps over which the original volume will be reached, starting from the Bottom Velocity.

0: The volume will be at the original value from the bottom velocity.

120: The volume will decrease as the velocity approaches the bottom velocity.

Any suggestions on the specific numbers I might want to enter to fix the velocity at, say, 64?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. My suggestion was incorrect. The velocity settings in the Combi edit pages are there to allow velocity switching of timbres, or for generally fading timbres by using velocity to modify how the sound of a Combi overall is influenced by playing style. The individual timbre volumes will still respond to key velocity, so changes will need to be made to the Program itself, or to a copy of the Program. Velocity can be used in many ways by a Program, giving a high degree of sophistication to the crafting of sounds, but adding complexity to how it all works under the hood.

There are a couple of ways to try, the first of which would be at the Combi level, to pass the intended constant volume Program in the Combi through a compressor or, possibly, overdrive effect. The Program characteristics will still respond to velocity, but its volume would change less.

A second method could be performed on the Program, or preferably on a copy of the Program saved in one of the vacant Program slots. The Combi would of course need to be edited to use the copy of the Program, instead of the original. The changes would need to be made in the Program's edit page P2 OSC/Pitch, OSC1 Setup tab, and setting to "Off" all but the first multisample, and setting multisample 1 level to a suitable figure e.g. 127 and bottom velocity to 001 on the Velocity tab. Then go to edit page P4 Amp/EQ, and in the Amp1/Mod tab, set velocity intensity to 0. These changes may also need to be done to Osc2, if Osc2 is used by the Program.

Don't forget to save the changes.

dennishhong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the continuing help with this. So ... I'd already tried what you suggested, and I just tried it again per your specific instructions. It looks like the velocity intensity setting amplifies whatever velocity you strike a key with. It doesn't fix the velocity at a specific value. So the best I can do is set it to -99, but then that just forces every note to strike at a super-low velocity, which is not what I want at all.

Anyway, sorry to keep coming back at this. It strikes me that this should be a pretty easy thing to do on a keyboard, but for whatever reason, I just can't get the Krome to do it. Thank you again for the help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting the Velocity Intensity to -99 for Amp Modulation, in edit page P4 Amp/EQ, Amp1 Mod and Amp2 Mod tabs, actually reduces the amplification of the "Oscillators" as the velocity increases, so it would seem that velocity is also being used elsewhere in the Program to modulate something like the envelope, or even one of the effects. Try leaving the Velocity Intensity set to 00 in the Amp1 Mod and Amp2 Mod tabs, then look elsewhere.

For example, look at the crossfade range setting in the edit page P2 Osc1 Setup, and Osc2 Setup. It should be zero or Off. The graphic on the right of that page should reflect this, showing a solid, not tapered, vertical bar. If this isn't enough, then look at the AMS (Alternate Modulation Sources) on edit page P4 Amp/EQ, Amp1 EG and Amp2 EG tabs, particularly Level, and try setting them to 00. Then move on to the other edit pages, looking at things like keyboard track, and effects, to see if velocity is being used there. Also, check if velocity is being used in the AMS mixer (edit page P6, AMS/Common Key Track).

Whilst this appears conceptually to be something that should be easy to do on a keyboard, the complexity of the available targets for velocity allows for considerable sound design opportunities in generating Programs that offer the Krome player the potential for some extremely expressive sounds.

dennishhong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thank you. I've been playing around with all those settings, and I think I'm starting to figure it out. Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great :-) The Krome is quite an impressive instrument. Its predecessor, the M50, is also still very capable and has a very similar menu structure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: