Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement System SSD with a bigger one / Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot time Reply with quote

EamonnS wrote:
Guys, I've just stumbled onto this thread because I have a Kronos 1 and the boot time is sooooo long it drives me mad. Does exchanging the drive for a SSD make much difference on the boot time? I don't actually need any more space on my drive, but a faster boot would be very welcome.

U might gain 5 seconds

Try loading less samples
EamonnS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks GregC.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot time Reply with quote

EamonnS wrote:
Guys, I've just stumbled onto this thread because I have a Kronos 1 and the boot time is sooooo long it drives me mad. Does exchanging the drive for a SSD make much difference on the boot time? I don't actually need any more space on my drive, but a faster boot would be very welcome.

Hi there,

I always load my K2 at its RAM limit (0 Mb left) and on my unit, a Samsung SSD 250 Gb boots 17 seconds faster than the original SSD. Before = 2:33, now = 2:16. Of course more than two minutes remains long, but this indicates that a newer SSD can boot quicker than the original one in the K2. The Kronos motherboard or initial sequence advances at the same speed (up to the K when you look at the screen at bootup), but then the KSCs are loaded faster.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot time Reply with quote

EamonnS wrote:

No, not really. I have replaced my SSD for getting a larger space. But there is no difference in boot time, it wasn't my goal.
For a part, the boot time depends on the number of KSC files you want to be loaded at power on.
Go to Global mode -> Autoload, and see what KSC files are automatically loaded, uncheck those you do not want to be loaded. (tip : uncheck all of them first and reboot, just to see the difference)
pollytronman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm upgrading to a Sandisk 480G this week. This is far from the fastest unit available but was quite cheap (recycled from one of my PC) and still has 90% life.
Benchmarked it and is giving:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2018 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 541.344 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 315.270 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= Cool : 151.542 MB/s [ 36997.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= Cool : 141.592 MB/s [ 34568.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 150.516 MB/s [ 36747.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 74.381 MB/s [ 18159.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 22.144 MB/s [ 5406.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 47.542 MB/s [ 11606.9 IOPS]

Test : 4096 MiB [C: 56.3% (251.2/446.2 GiB)] (x3) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2018/12/15 18:32:41
SanDisk SDSSDA-480G-G26 Plus

I'll test the original PNY? from KRONOS2 too and post here its speeds.
EDIT: opened, mine is by Buffalo Memory with part number SS306414MGAKG

EDIT2: Finally I had time to change the SSD. I tell you my procedure in case it helps you. It is similar to the one others already written in this thread.

Short version:
1) Clone disk with a laptop booting with Clonezilla live cd to a image file
2) Write image file to new and bigger SSD disk using the same Clonezilla
3) Boot from a Gparted live cd and extend the user partition to the max of your disk

Long version/Considerations:

At first, I was using a windows 10 app I had "Acronis True Image" to do the image file "sector by sector" but I noticed it was writting a 100MB FAT32 partition and messed up the new disk. So after some retries I went with Clonezilla.

Clonezilla procedure is quite straightforward but it could be cumbersoma due to its user interface. I didn't take any pictures though.
You need to select (and mount) the drive to backup and the drive to write the disk image file to.
You need to select working mode: clone a disk to a disk (directly), create a disk image file from a disk (I chose this one), etc...
I had to choose the image disk file because of two reasons. First and wanted to save the image for future use (my Kronos disk was almost factory default). Secondly, I only had a dock station with 1 slot (Inateck brand).

I had to use expert mode in order to it use the linux command "dd". With the other options it failed to create an exact clone image file.

After the image is saved to your local disk (USB external, internal drive or whatever you choose) you simply begin again (or reboot if you prefer) and this time select the "image file to disk" (or something like that) operation. That's all.

At this point, you will have your new bigger SSD exactly as the original. That's it even with only 60GB available. You need to expand the user partition to fill all the space available. I used gparted live cd you can download it and boot from a CD or a USB drive.

This is the original kronos drive seen by gparted:

As you can see, there are already 4 primary partitions: sdd1, sdd2, sdd3 and sdd4.
sdd4 is an extended partition that contains 2 partitions: sdd5 and sdd6
From some systems, like WIN10 they are seen as 5 partitions.
sdd6 is the one that interest us, and ext3 filesystem and labeled /korg/rw (read+write).
The tiny unallocated space is, probably, some leftovers after partitioning the disk.

In the next screenshot you can see the new and bigger disk with a lot of space available and two pending operations.

First, you need to grow the primary partition sdd4 that contains sdd5 and sdd6. Then you expand sdd6 to the max. After applying the changes the disk should show something like this:

Then simply plug the disk to kronos and that's all. No dvd disks should be needed. The space available from "disk" tab in kronos:

My boot times went from 126s to 123s. Not a decent gain but I was looking for space not speed. Anyway, most sata ssd disk are around 500MB/s and are usually limited by the SATA3 interface.

Hope this helps someone.
JFree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to clone. Using Clonezilla, booting from usb stick-original drive in usb enclosure. I'm delirious now after spending about 4 hours on this and getting nowhere. I'm trying to write an image to the internal drive and then send it back to usb enclosure with new drive. The original drive works fine in the unit, just going larger. I've tried expert mode and the different dd options. It's always laden with errors and while it completes both functions it doesn't work. Any thoughts or more detailed (if that's possible) instructions are appreciated. It seems like a straightforward process, can't figure where I'm going wrong.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFree wrote:
I'm trying to clone. Using Clonezilla, booting from usb stick-original drive in usb enclosure. I'm delirious now after spending about 4 hours on this and getting nowhere. I'm trying to write an image to the internal drive and then send it back to usb enclosure with new drive. The original drive works fine in the unit, just going larger. I've tried expert mode and the different dd options. It's always laden with errors and while it completes both functions it doesn't work. Any thoughts or more detailed (if that's possible) instructions are appreciated. It seems like a straightforward process, can't figure where I'm going wrong.

just for background, say what Kronos version you have and the factory SSD size and the OS
JFree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes-original K, ram maxed, 30Gig drive, latest OS and firmware.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFree wrote:
ah yes-original K, ram maxed, 30Gig drive, latest OS and firmware.

No 2nd SSD ? It is easier to add that
JFree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second drive died, which is what brought me to this point. I'm thinking that at 8+ years old how much life could the original drive have left. I would be fine with just a single in terms of capacity. You are def correct though.

--UPDATE--
figured it out finally-had to check and fix errors on drive-now to hopefully repartition.

Last edited by JFree on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFree wrote:
The second drive died, which is what brought me to this point. I'm thinking that at 8+ years old how much life could the original drive have left. I would be fine with just a single in terms of capacity. You are def correct though.

I agree , its a fair question on life expectancy of a SSD.

What contributes most to failure ? Simple age ? Use ? Both ?

Almost in same boat, + 8 yr old K88 with the factory SSD plus a 2nd SSD I installed.

FWIW, I mostly boot off the factory SSD. I try to work off th 2nd SSD as much as possible.

Someone will be along with advice on cloning the factory SSD
JFree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet baby jesus...I've got the clone now I can't get gparted to work. It won't open. Trying to go the same route as with clonezilla.

UPDATE-couldn't get gparted to happen, I found a program called Partition Guru that worked.
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this a couple of weeks ago with my new-to-me K2, and I upgraded the primary drive and added a secondary drive using the Crucial MX500 drives recommended by Kronushaven (IIRC).

I bought a cheap external dual USB SSD docking station which included a clone feature (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WS59SP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it worked flawlessly to clone the original drive. I ended up having to clone three or four times, as the first few attempts didn’t end with the desired results.

Once cloned, I was able to boot my PC with the GParted boot disc and resize the drive to the full capacity and boot the K2. I now have a 1/2 TB available across the two drives.

Very simple process if you follow the instructions posted in this thread regarding using GParted - I wish I had found this thread when I was doing my upgrade, as it would have saved me a few hours and a couple of failed attempts.

And yes, as mentioned above trying to reload the DVD on a large SSD will hang at one point and never complete... I left it running overnight only to find it still hung in the morning, and had to start over at the beginning again.
dellmed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: 256 SSD now showing 56GB Reply with quote

After upgrading stock 60GB SSD with a 256GB SSD, Everything was OK for one day. It was showing free space of 240GB.
When i checked today it is showing 56GB total space.
No idea what happened.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 256 SSD now showing 56GB Reply with quote

dellmed wrote:
After upgrading stock 60GB SSD with a 256GB SSD, Everything was OK for one day. It was showing free space of 240GB.
When i checked today it is showing 56GB total space.
No idea what happened.

Did you add a second SSD or did you replace the first one ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: