Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement System SSD with a bigger one / Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
For cloning Kronos SSDs in Win10 I use Easus Todo Backup Server Edition.

Hello,

Preparing a new try of copy with your method, I've downloaded the Easus Todo Backup user's manual and I red this :
Quote:

Note:
The disk/partition cannot be resized if you choose to clone your disk in the Sector by sector mode.

So, despite this warning, you succeeded in increasing the partition with Paragon software ?

Thanks for your response.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning concerns Easus utilities ...

- You use Easus Todo Backup only for creating a solid sector by sector backup of original SSD untouched !
- You restore backup to new bigger SSD , 5 partitions will be created , the surplus size will be created as an allocated space partition.
- As last you use Paragon utility to extend first the overall SSD size up to last sector of allocated partition and then extend Ext3
HD partition up to the last sector of valid partition.
- Done

About docking station , I don't remember the brand that worked properly , 'cause it's been a long time.

I usually do this workflow for customers , but for my own backup , I deleted all contents of HD partition with no extra EXs installed ,
I upgraded to latest OS and created Factory Kronos SSD.PBD file from factory SSD that has been kept for any case of SSD failure in the future.
During latest years , I have created an external SATA port in my Kronos of primary port , and when I connect an external boot clone SSD there
Kronos boots from it , the ultimate 2 minutes restoring in case of boot SSD failure in gigs ! Wink
I have also used new age low power dissipation magnetic disk for that purpose (much more safe media) and worked like a charm !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Antony (if its your first name !)
Here are the results :

1°) -
Quote:
You use Easus Todo Backup only for creating a solid sector by sector backup of original SSD untouched !

Operation OK.

2°) -
Quote:
You restore backup to new bigger SSD , 5 partitions will be created

OK

3°)
Quote:
the surplus size will be created as an allocated space partition.

Not OK : the surplus size has been created as UN-allocated partition (409.8 GB)

4°)
Quote:
As last you use Paragon utility to extend first the overall SSD size up to last sector of allocated partition and then extend Ext2
HD partition up to the last sector of valid partition.

Impossible to extend the \korg\ext partition. It keeps the exact size as the original SSD (54.6 GB). The unallocated space is not accessible.

I think I did what you said, but please telle me if I did a mistake. Thank you.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Impossible to extend the \korg\ext partition. It keeps the exact size as the original SSD (54.6 GB).
The unallocated space is not accessible.

You can't directly extend HD Ext3 partition , first extend the whole surface of SSD dragging it towards unallocated space ,
execute and then try to extend HD Ext3 , I have done it thousand of times with Partition Manager™ 15 Pro !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Antony. I will go on testing and come back to inform you.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't even open a menu interface window , just work directly on SSD graphics , I click on outside surface of SSD
and with mouse I drag the valid surface up to the end of unallocated , click on apply and then I extend the Korg 54,6 GB
ext2 up to the end of free space and apply again , just a few seconds workflow for me !
I can't help you more with that since I'm out of studio , at my see home , but you can easily succeed it ...

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Strange : my Korg 54.6 GB do not display Ext2 but Ext3.

Then, could you please give me a precision ?

When I am inside Paragon, I can see the 500 GB SSD rectangle, containing the five parts just restored/copied by Easeus, followed by the unallocated space (about 420 GB)
There I can click and select on either one of the parts, or, clicking on the rectangle border, I select all the SSD.
So, could you tell me what you call "valid surface" ? I must admit I don't see what you mean.

Thank you very much
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall all those info only by memory , so I can't precisely describe procedure since I do not have a Kronos SSD here in my sea home
due to explore it and you're right it's Ext3 since you can see that in Paragon.
I actually drag the outside graphic border first and cover the whole unallocated space and apply it , if you can't do that then some
other reasons can occur there concerning program version or compatibility with your computer OS since I have also created some
explorer drivers that I can edit Linux SSD systems in Win10, maybe this works only in me I'm not sure.
But other programs like Gparted works for sure for this for common user's PC/Mac , many people have stated success.

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello friends,

After hours and hours, eventually I've succeeded !!

Many obstacles, and many different error messages. I've tried all possibilities and options.
Of course, I've tried first with all you advices, and thank you so much for that.

I guess all depends on the PC configuration.
In fact here are my steps :

1°) Cloning with EaseUS Todo Backup.

I did it many times. Finally, I didn't use "Sector by Sector option". But I used "Optimized for SSD"

2°) Partitioning
The most difficult part for me was to understand what Antony told me. In fact, what I didn't understand was I had to treat parts 4 and 5 together. For doing that, I had to click on the little rectangle with these two parts together, not the big rectangle, not the individual part 5 rectangle. Only then, extend to the full SSD.
That's exactly what you said, Antony, but it was hard to undestand how to do that.
Finally, I have used Gparted software for that.

3°) After these two steps, I beleived it was all. Not at all : still "system startup failed" on the Kronos.
There, I remembered the steps shown in our french site Kronoscopie" and I proceeded to a reinstall of the system with DVDs.

After that, good news : all is working well : I've got the 460 GB displayed on Media Info.

-----------------------------

So, thank you very much you all, for your help.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
I did it many times. Finally, I didn't use "Sector by Sector option". But I used "Optimized for SSD"

- Your system failure was exclusively caused by this option !
Only sector by sector cloning will retain system partition table that this Linux version requires !

- Pros of cloning system SSD is that you preserve the exclusive setting of your Kronos unit , unlike DVDs installation that
will install average settings of Kronos Keybed.

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

- Your system failure was exclusively caused by this option !
Only sector by sector cloning will retain system partition table that this Linux version requires !

- Pros of cloning system SSD is that you preserve the exclusive setting of your Kronos unit , unlike DVDs installation that
will install average settings of Kronos Keybed.

Well, sorry but I didn't experiment that. As I said before, nothing worked until I've deselected this option. I would be unable to tell you why, but that is the fact !
During many hours, I've tested many possibilities with no success.
Finally, I've tried the process I've described before and it worked. That was my goal : I wanted it to work !

As I said, I don't know why it worked like that, so I don't give it as an advice for others. I'm sure you are more expert than I am. So, my advice would be to follow your procedure, not mine.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done from your part , my reference is only for the records ! Very Happy
Also bear in mind that if Kronos' boot SSD data are corrupted then cloning will work but Kronos will never boot again , we are always
cloning a working boot SSD and in any other case , the option is always reinstalling resources from DVDs.

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the party, but after a few tests on my side I can confirm that :

1) The EaseUS program don't seem to be able to clone Linux correctly. This was confirmed when I tried another software, which detected an offset in a partition superblock or something like that. For that reason, I suppose the Kronos can't read the new disk correctly and asks the user to use the Korg CD-ROMs.

2) On the other hand, Clonezilla works just fine with the options mentioned earlier by Purgatory. No need to reinstall anything after resizing the partition to the disk maximum size.

3) To install a secondary drive on a K2 is quite a bit more complicated than on earlier Kronos versions, as you have to remove the front bumper/fender, then the keyboard action, then the new metallic plate which protects the motherboard. Space is extremely cramped there as well and you need a SATA cable with two 90-degree angle connectors.

4) On my unit, a Samsung SSD 250 Gb boots 17 seconds faster than the original SSD. Note that I use the entire memory available (before = 2:33, now = 2:16).

5) If you connect two bootable SSDs on the Kronos ports (for example a cloned one and the original as is), the second one is considered "unformatted" by the Kronos. I suppose this is to avoid conflicts or because it can't read two multi-partitioned disks. But I let mine plugged this way, so if the first fails, the second will start my unit right away (worse-case scenario).
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you KK, but as I told before, that's not I've have experimented : EaseUS Todo Backup is OK but I was unable to work with Clonezilla.

3) I didn't have any problem when, before changing the boot SSD, I have installed a secondary drive. Just after installing and formatting, it was immedialtly OK (on a K2), and I was able to install EXS on it. But I guess it depends on what Kronos version (61, 73, 8Cool, the inner spaces are not the same. Mine is a 73 notes.

Afer many tries, all is working perfectly with a total of 750 GB SSD. But, what a work to reach that point !!
EamonnS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Boot time Reply with quote

Guys, I've just stumbled onto this thread because I have a Kronos 1 and the boot time is sooooo long it drives me mad. Does exchanging the drive for a SSD make much difference on the boot time? I don't actually need any more space on my drive, but a faster boot would be very welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: