Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Sequencer Problem with Midi tracks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Kronos Sequencer Problem with Midi tracks Reply with quote

hello good people, I'm here with another question about my Kronos as I'm learning it. I've been getting accustomed to the sequencer. I've made a few songs using the midi tracks on the sequencer. Like most songs you don't need to play a specific instrument all the way through so I come back and record on the same midi track at certain parts of the song. Early on when I first started doing this I would record my track and play my piece at the earlier part of the song and then later on in the song play another piece on the same midi track.

When I try to do this now I find that the ENTIRE track gets erased except for what I recently recorded. I look at my preference settings and it's set to "Overwrite". When I use :Overwrite: if I want to redo the part I just did over again it will erase the most recent part I did but NOT the entire track like it does now. I'm trying to figure out what I may have done wrong. I don't want to lose my work on error? any advice on how to fix this is appreciated thanks!
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the OG "Recording MIDI in real-time" section starting at p.92. Create a new song for testing to become familiar with the various ways to record (Overwrite, Overdub, Manual, Auto Punch-In, Loop) and the operation of switches for REC/WRITE and START/STOP for each mode.

Note that in Overwrite, with REC/WRITE on and the sequence started with START/STOP it will write empty data to the measures in the track as it's running through them, even if you're not playing anything.

I use Overwrite for first recording of a track and then switch to use Autopunch from then on. I start the Autopunch at the measure I first "messed up" in, and end it at some high number maybe 50 measures more than the start measure (I'm optimistic). Play back the sequence to hear where the next new "messed up" measure is, and advance the Auto Punch In to that start measure. Locate to some measure before the Auto Punch In, and start record again. Repeat until the track is how you like it, advancing the Auto Punch In start measure each time.

In some cases I may go back to the middle of the song somewhere and do an Event Edit in case the keyboard didn't play a particular note my finger told it to. Or I may go back and rerecord a single measure, setting Auto Punch In to start and stop at the same measure. But it's usually easier to append to the end of the track than to rerecord parts in the middle.
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overwrite is the default setting when you first power up and go into Sequencer mode. I got into the habit of switching it to Overdub as soon as I start working on a song, and of course it's second nature to me now.

If you do find that you have accidentally overwritten a track in the way you describe, or indeed want to ditch your last take, just press the 'enter' and 'compare' buttons simultaneously and it will undo your last action.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips and advice. I'm just a rookie on my Kronos. I've been trying to learn it as best as I could but it always throws something new at me. I wish the manual was a bit easier to understand for me at least hehe.
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. There are so many possibilities with the Kronos that it will take you many years to exhaust them, and so you shouldn't worry about feeling like a rookie. I've had mine for years, and there are a lot of areas that I haven't explored yet because I've been too busy making music with it! Hope you enjoy your time with it.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
Thank you for the tips and advice. I'm just a rookie on my Kronos. I've been trying to learn it as best as I could but it always throws something new at me. I wish the manual was a bit easier to understand for me at least hehe.

The Operations Guide is the best way to familiarize yourself with the K. The OG has some specific procedures that it walks you through for the "hands-on" experience. That is how you will come to understanding the manual. Don't worry about the Parameter Guide. It's more of a reference for specific parameters.
YouTube videos are good too.
PS- since the guides are PDFs, they are easily searchable.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:

Developing a Song [ SEQ mode] on Kronos is more intermediate level stuff.

I had to learn DISK and Global modes plus navigation before going to SEQ.

Like learning to crawl, before you stumble.

In addition, the manual is quite dry IMO. Its good/solid for reference.

I am a visual learner , If you are too, wrap yourself around the many very Kronos YouTubes, esp the Korg YT's.

And you have to be patient. I estimate it takes 1 year experience
to get skilled on SEQ mode. Assuming you have the above basics.

Take small bites not super sized.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: