Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the Kronos sequencer's maximum length ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: What is the Kronos sequencer's maximum length ? Reply with quote

Title says it all, really.. I know on the Triton the sequencer's maximum length is 999 measures
on the Roland MC-50 its' 9999 meas. Did Korg boost the sequencer on their beastly Kronos ?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Kronos sequencer's maximum length ? Reply with quote

ErnstDabest wrote:
Title says it all, really.. I know on the Triton the sequencer's maximum length is 999 measures
on the Roland MC-50 its' 9999 meas. Did Korg boost the sequencer on their beastly Kronos ?

Do you often find yourself exceeding 1,000 measures in your compositions?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: What is the Kronos sequencer's maximum length ? Reply with quote

It's solely why I have an MC50 i use it in tandem with the Triton for measure beyond 999

but. its a fart in a can as far as memory goes !
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sequence any major classical works you could easily exceed that measure length. I once sequenced the Rachmaninoff 2nd piano concerto. I sequenced the piano and orchestral parts. I did it with an old Yamaha sequencer. It took a long time as I did it in step recording method. Anyway I also have a Yamaha QY700 and a Roland MC80 for these purposes.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos max is 999 measures.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:
If you sequence any major classical works you could easily exceed that measure length.

If you do it in movements, it should be OK; even the 4th movement of Beethoven's ninth comes in under 1,000 measures.

I don't disagree that it would be better to remove such limitations, however.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes dividing the piece up into separate files according to movements would be a good idea. That would be a logical approach. However, at the time I did it the Korg keyboards with sequencing didn't exist. At least not in a price range I could afford. One thing I do like very much about the Korg sequencer is the fact that they kept step recording. They even improved it more on the Korg PA900. I love using it on my PA900.

My only real comment about the 999 measure limit is I don't know why it exists. Is it a limitation of memory or just someone decided to make it so. For me the Korg sequencer is great. I love the fact that I can call up a combi and punch record and away I go. if I was going to do orchestral sequencing now I would use the computer, and probably Sibelius.
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:
If you sequence any major classical works you could easily exceed that measure length. I once sequenced the Rachmaninoff 2nd piano concerto. I sequenced the piano and orchestral parts. I did it with an old Yamaha sequencer. It took a long time as I did it in step recording method. Anyway I also have a Yamaha QY700 and a Roland MC80 for these purposes.

I don't know why these manufactures seem to think everybody is producing Hip-Hop or EDM (Electronic Dance Music)

Mike Conway wrote:
Kronos max is 999 measures.

Could this be fixed w/ an OS update..
Say, for example they [Korg] could lower the amount of loaded songs re-distribute that RAM space to increase the recording length ?

danatkorg wrote:

I don't disagree that it would be better to remove such limitations, however.

200 songs allocation is useless !!! that's just me, most I ever need is one being able to work on that one song without restrictions.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that limitations are annoying but even if you have a fast waltz of, say 180bpm, with 999 measures you could make a piece of more than sixteen minutes. I think the maximum number of midi events is a far more restrictive limit for most people, who need a bunch of songs loaded for their set.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the measure length becomes an issue when you are trying to record an orchestral score. I am talking many, many parts. Although all instruments may not be playing at the same time you still need to insert measures so they come in at the appropriate time. An orchestral score could easily be in excess of 16 instruments. In other words every measure you enter would really be 16 measures. This is sequencing in a linear fashion using all 16 midi tracks. I have sequenced in this manner so that the score and the playback are easily followed. No looping of any parts. I lay it out in the sequencer just as it appears in the music.
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: good point on the multi track Reply with quote

good point on the multi track.
how about making the sequence memory expanded by real large tb compact flash cards??
then a stacked 100 instrument sequence could be a reality for a large long music event... or studio use.

I have midi recorders I use to record ideas....
hard to get it in the computer fast when you have a cool idea....

almost need to video record the idea sessions so I can recall an track idea....

hum that is an idea!!
a digital video recorder with midi record!!
all synced up so you can see the changes etc.
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum is divided over 16 tracks? I had no idea, that seems very strange. Are you sure?
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is an amazing machine that can do many, many things. But it can't possibly do all of those things equally well. For an example, it can be a DAW and you can record a complete project on it. (And many people do.) But it is far from the best choice for that.

While you can do complete orchestral scores on it, it really isn't the best choice for that. I occasionally use it for classical music, too, though nothing on that scale. Clearly, it's designed for modern pop styles as that is the biggest market for such a device.

If I were wanting to do orchestral scores, I should think my money would be much better spent on a DAW app or Finale, quality VIs and a laptop if I needed to be portable.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequencer lets you record a maximum of 400,000 MIDI events (or 300,000 audio events), up to 200 songs, and as many as 999 measures per song."

You would not be able to reach the 400,000 event number even if you recorded 128 128th notes per measure, so the 400,000 must take into account controller information.

Even at 999 measure that would give you a lot of room for recording. For larger works, of course, it would be more sensible to use a dedicated MIDI recorder ie: QY700 or MC80, or even better, a computer and Sibelius 7.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously the EVENTS stack with multiple channels and when playing chords (or non-linear drum parts). It's quite possibly to run into the event limit when you load a couple of busy songs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: