Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I don't understand the logic of saving data to disk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: I don't understand the logic of saving data to disk Reply with quote

Hello,
does anyone of you have an idea why I have to save sequences to a SNG file (all 100 of them) and I can't save a single sequence to a single file?

Is there a reason I can't grasp? What if I have two sequences (along with 99 empty ones) in two SNG files and I want both of them to be loaded at the same time?

Also, why aren't programs stored along with a song, and I instead have to edit a program, write it to a bank and remember not to overwrite it because it's being used by a song which is though not loaded at startup like programs are?

What's the workflow that the designers had in their minds?

Why is there this different treatment of programs and songs?

I'm used to Reason, where a song is a file, it contains all the data (effects, sounds, tracks) and it's self-contained. I can't break it as I could do with a song on the Kronos by inadvertently overwriting a Program with something else.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 1 seq (99 empty) and save it, you’re saving 1 seq. Name it as you wish. If you have several seq’s saved, you can load them all as a set and save that as a set. They will load all at once. When loading you have the choice of loading which re-writes all slots or loading with append which adds each song in order.

You can save all programs/combies in the same folder as the associated seq(s). They load very fast.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: I don't understand the logic of saving data to disk Reply with quote

mrgl wrote:
H

Also, why aren't programs stored along with a song, and I instead have to edit a program, write it to a bank and remember not to overwrite it because it's being used by a song which is though not loaded at startup like programs are?

What's the workflow that the designers had in their minds?

yeah, the way Korg does file mgmt, goes back 20 yrs. Many of us have had Tritons, etc, so that experience is a plus when working the Kronos.

It has to be tough learning curve, with Kronos as your first Korg keyboard w/s.

If you are in SEQ, and you have already copied in certain programs, and now doing edits to them in SEQ, you are not actually changing the factory version of the program. My guess, is that you are playing with an instance or a copy of some kind.

Anyway, you should not, when in Program mode, start editing factory programs and over write the factory version.

Save your programs edits and save your edited Program in a user bank.
That will save many headaches later.
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy for me to get to grips with what you're trying to do, from the info that you have given. I presume that you are in Sequencer mode, trying to make a song. Each song is a collection of sequences recorded to the tracks, along with program data, control changes etc etc.

From what you say, it sounds like you are recording a sequence in one song location, then starting a new song for your next sequence, and then wondering how to put them together. That is easily done. If you go to the track edit page in sequencer menu (fifth button along the bottom of the screen, if memory serves), and open up the window by clicking on the button on the top right of the window, you'll be presented with various options for moving or copying tracks - either within the song that you are on, or to another song.

I don't understand how you are losing the program information when you save a song, either. When you save the song, the data within it gets saved as well.

Here is a link to the Kronos video manual, showing the basic of sequencer mode -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEJjF4yaqww&t=5s. I'm wondering if it might help you to get a basic grasp of the architecture. It's very simple and logical once you've done it a couple of times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: