Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross 2: using damper on string instrument like a piano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DA13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Kross 2: using damper on string instrument like a piano Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I just buy a Korg Kross 2, after I have an Yamaha PSR-E443.

I just configure the damper to maintain the piano sound like a real piano, namely if I press a key and maintain the damper, the sound will continue to play and it will stop automatically few seconds later.

However, with this configuration, if I do the same with a string voice and if I maintain the damper, the sound will play indefinitely until I release the damper.

By default, on the Yamaha, all sound are configure like a piano style. Is it possible to configure the Korg like the Yamaha ?

Thanks in advance
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You'll need to edit the AMP-EG (Amp envelope).

More in particular, you need to turn down the sustain level to 0. Meaning while you hold the keys or use the sustain, the level of the note will then go to 0 (fade out).
By tweaking the time and curve parameter, you can further finetune how long it takes, how abrupt it goes.

Refer to the line Slp/Sus: first parameter is the slope time, second the curve and third the level (to be set to 0).

Don't forget that if your program uses 2 oscillators, you'll need to tweak the amp envelope for both of them.

Good luck!
DA13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp,

Thanks for your answer. I did what you said and it's working very well !

However, if I hold the sustain, the sound level goes down, but it not end: there's still a little echo which play indefinitely.

To resolve that, I went to the tone menu and let the sustain value to -99. The echo disappear after few seconds but not faster as I want. Is it possible to reduce the little echo time ?

I have an another question: with the Korg, is it possible to maintain the sound indefinitely if I hold the keys and release the sound like a piano if I hold the sustain ?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DA13,

Good to hear you have some progress.

For which program did you try this? Is it a factory one? I may have a look at it then at my side for the remaining echo.
Does the program use 2 oscillators and did you modify the amp-eg for both of them separately? Does the program maybe use effects which give the endless echo?

Concerning your last question. I was expecting that one. Smile I don't have the answer right now. Let me think about it, try something out and I'll come back to you...

Bye.
DA13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OpAmp,

I try this for a violin program (the string stereo precisely). There is only one oscillators (if I'm not mistaken)

My principal goal is to do that for guitar, bass and choir too.

Thanks for yours answers !
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Whether it is one or two oscillators, you can see at the osc nr on the AMP-EG page. If there is next to the "osc 1" box a "recycle symbol" then it has 2 oscillators. It is most obvious on the basic/voice page.

Anyway, I was thinking that the echo could also come because you've set up a long time and steep slope in the AMP-EG on the Slp/Sus line. Try to put the slope to linear (0L) and reduce the time, maybe that helps as well.

Concerning the last question. I scratched my head today and tried different things on my Kross, but my conclusion is, that it ain't gonna work. You want a sustained note as long as you hold a key but then at releasing the key if the sustain pedal is not used, a fast decay else if the sustain pedal is used a slow decay. The fast decay is controlled using the release time of the amp-eg. Hower when you use the sustain pedal, the amp-eg remains in sustain state even if you release the keys, and you want the sustain level to be non-zero again in order to avoid the decaying as long as you hold the keys. So that is conflicting...

There are sort of workarounds for it, but it has some serious limitations. In brief, forget the sustain pedal, use another control, like a switch. The filter-eg and pitch-eg are misused and combined in an ams-mixer to modulate the amplitude. Basically the switch controls which of the 2 EG are used to modulate the amplitude. One EG has a rather short release time, while the other has a long release time. The switch acts then as the damper via the ams-mixer gate functionality.

Bye
DA13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

I will try that later because I have a problem with my Kross since I update it... x/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: