Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with connecting Kronos 2 for home recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
somestuidguitarist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Need help with connecting Kronos 2 for home recording Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry for the very newb-ish post, but I literally just got my Korg Kronos 2 and I really need some help figuring out what is the best way to connect it to my setup for the best recording quality. When I record pianos for example, the sounds aren't NEARLY as nice as what I've heard online in ANY of the demos.

My current setup is as follows:

Main Left and Right outputs of the Kronos going in to the 2 inputs of my Focusrite Scarlet 6i6. Out of the Focusrite into my Mac desktop via USB. I've also got 2 speaker cables coming out of my Focusrite going in to a pair of Yamaha HS8 speakers, which are my only monitors. But those are just for playback and have nothing to do with recording. I'm using Reaper for my DAW.

I see a lot of people talking about 48hz and clock speed, etc. I have no idea what any of that is. I'm primarily a guitarist, so I really just need someone to tell me what the best steps are to get optimal recording quality out of the Kronos, whether it's changing internal settings, or using specific outputs, changing settings in Reaper, etc.

Thank you!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re happy with your home recording studio, the Kronos L/R outs are TRS. That should provide a clean signal to the recorder. You said that you just got your Kronos. If you’re not happy with the piano sounds, take some time to experiment with the EQ and effects, this can make a huge difference in the overall sound.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with connecting Kronos 2 for home recording Reply with quote

somestuidguitarist wrote:
... I see a lot of people talking about 48hz and clock speed, etc. I have no idea what any of that is...

It regards a TOSLINK connection
Bacause your Scarlett 6i6 has no OPTICAL ins, you don't have to worry about it.

When I record pianos for example, the sounds aren't NEARLY as nice as what I've heard online in ANY of the demos

According to your Scarlett Specs, there's a difference in dynamic range; Input 1-2 = 109dB, and 3-4 = 110dB. Go for higher.

If you stil not satisfyied, and EQ/Effect unit offer no help, perhaps it is time to change audio interface for a better one.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Setlist mode on Kronos to play all my Kronos sounds.

The main reason is because Setlist mode has its own dedicated EQ page that comes in addition to any EQ used in Programs and Combis.
It also has more bands than the other EQ’s you can find in kronos.
Especially with 8 inch monitors, i would need to use one standard EQ for any kronos sounds coming through the monitors.
And setlist mode EQ will pass any setlist slotted programs, combis or songs through it.

I ended up getting 5 inch monitors because the bass end did not cloud out the rest of the sound, and even then, i still have to use EQ to make the 5 inch monitors sound right for me. I also have to use a different EQ for different speakers/monitors or headphones.
I can run factory sounds of kronos with no added EQ when using my basic headphones. So for my situation, i was sure the issue was EQ.

With your DAW, you may end up having an EQ option in there, something better than setlist mode EQ in Kronos.

Clock speed is for digital audio that kronos has available via Toslink/SPDIF/optical connection. But that is not the issue if you are using standard L/R outputs.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with connecting Kronos 2 for home recording Reply with quote

When I record pianos for example, the sounds aren't NEARLY as nice as what I've heard online in ANY of the demos.

1) I assume you play/listen your recording and referencing demos with the same equipment - and then you hear that yours are not nearly as nice - otherwise there is no point to compare
2) Most probably the issue with your recordings is not so much about gear quality - all stuff you mention should be good in home studio
3) Some tips that may help improve how your recording sounds
- first check gain and levels - it is difiicult to give detailed guides here but basically you can check with Reaper in recording mode - when you do not play (i.e. silence) nothing must be recorded (-inf dB signal level) and if you play at max loudness, signal should go somewhere near 0 dB (but not clipping). Too low or to high rerording level is first ingredient of "nice recording"
- EQ was already mentioned - again tweak it to get the sound you like - you can add some EQ from Kronos but in most cases your DAW can do even more (but not always unspoil bad EQ setting on Kronos)
- In demo reording you compare with yours there is probably many other (besides EQ) things done to sound nicer - name few: compressing or expanding, chorus and/or reverb, "warmth" and "body" effects, perhaps mastering etc. Most of things can be done on Kronos board too, but usually this stuff is left for DAWs, you record dry from Kronos and do "nice stuff" in DAW.
4) If you post link tou your reference sound/recording and your recording, then someone might be able to tell you what to tweak to get closer to your dream sound Smile
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first suspicion is you've got phase cancellation going on, making the pianos sound crappy. The pianos are sensitive to stereo being collapsed to mono.

Check Reaper and your recordings, making sure you've got the Kronos panned hard left and hard right.

Good luck, congratz on the new Kronos, and welcome to the forum!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, second that. Make sure the computer mixer handling audio from the Scarlett on the input from Kronos output L/Mono is panned hard left, and input from Kronos output R hard right, to get the maximum stereo effect on the Kronos pianos. They can sound rather "flat" if this is not done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: