Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filter Cutoff behavior - Realtime Knob vs Ribbon?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Filter Cutoff behavior - Realtime Knob vs Ribbon? Reply with quote

I have an HD 1 program where the filter cutoff is modulated by the ribbon with intensity +34.
It is also affected by the real time knob Cutoff (for which there is no specific parameter in the program - it is not really a modulation source. As described in the Op Guide "the knobs “scale” the Program’s internal settings"

The result is that as I slide across the ribbon, the sound goes from almost full cutoff at the left, to normal in the center, to filter wide open on the right.

The Cutoff knob only slightly closes the filter when turning counter clockwise from 12:00. Turning clockwise from 12:00, the filter rapidly and dramatically opens and is at full range before the knob reaches 3:00 position.

It would be much more useful to have the knob behave similarly to the ribbon in terms of scaling the sound. Both equal effect both sides of zero, and comparable sensitivity on both sides. I think the root cause is the knob does not provide a negative value, while the ribbon can.

Does anyone know a trick to get the RT cutoff knob to behave more like the ribbon in terms of range?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think AMS feature may allow the behavior you are talking about.

Also ribbon is a different type of control geared for smoother changes.
Ribbon responds to tapping on it as well as swiping it. Just a different type of control all together.

Maybe one of the assignable knobs set through AMS to control the filter cutoff would be the test if AMS feature makes that behavior possible.
I would look for Assignable knobs 5-8 as sources for AMS, and then see if one of those behaves any differently than the standard fixed knob for filter cutoff.
If AMS is not the way to go, it is probably just the ribbon with that wide range behavior standard for it.
Control behavior is not one size fits all.
I recall using a knob and SW-1 to modulate the same parameter and of course the SW was not able to scale at all, or any scaling it did was a jump from one to the other of only two setting options, maybe zero at SW off, and then jumps to knob setting when SW moves to on. I was able to use knob to control SW and also used SW to control knob, but neither scaled the parameter settings the same way.
So i imagine the ribbon is also by its nature, scaling the settings in its own unique way.

And yes, i don’t know a way to get the standard filter cutoff knob to behave different from its standard scaling setting.

~~~~~~~~Parameter guide page 28 Excerpt below.~~~~~~~~~
Knobs 1–4 all have dedicated functions which correspond to MIDI CCs. Knobs 5–8 can be assigned to a wide variety of functions, many of which also have corresponding MIDI CCs.
When you move a knob, it sends out the corresponding MIDI CC. Also, when the CC is received via MIDI or generated by KARMA, the knob value changes to match the CC value.
Unless otherwise noted, “scaling” means that the parameters are at their programmed values when the controller is at 64, at their minimum when the controller is at 0, and at their maximum when the controller is at 127. For another look at this, see the diagram below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Page 29 has the diagram but gives no directions about how to alter the “scaling” for different control response.
So it follows my assumption that ribbon has a different scaling, set up to match the type of control that it is, and possibly, using an assignable knob as source in an AMS setup, could give some alteration to scaling, perhaps through the intensity setting.

knobs 1-4 are old school legacy type controls, and retain that hard wired legacy style behavior from when just having a digital synth with 4 knobs was already far-out parameter control extremes.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@19naia, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the secret is to use AMS, which is bipolar.

There is no reason Knob 1 must be the filter cutoff control, just because it is written on the panel. I can program Knob 8 to do it as an AMS.

First issue - Filter Modulation Sources AMS1 and AMS2 are already assigned.

AMS Mixer to the rescue - Replace Filter Modulation AMS1 1 with AMS Mixer 1, and mix Ribbon and KnobMod8 with Mixer type A+B. I can tweak the range for each: 99 for ribbon and 61 for Knob seems work well.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
@19naia, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the secret is to use AMS, which is bipolar.

There is no reason Knob 1 must be the filter cutoff control, just because it is written on the panel. I can program Knob 8 to do it as an AMS.

First issue - Filter Modulation Sources AMS1 and AMS2 are already assigned.

AMS Mixer to the rescue - Replace Filter Modulation AMS1 1 with AMS Mixer 1, and mix Ribbon and KnobMod8 with Mixer type A+B. I can tweak the range for each: 99 for ribbon and 61 for Knob seems work well.

Wow. You figured out in more detail than i would have even if i tried. I just had a general idea of the controls on Kronos.
Also, AMS mixer is one of my weak points as far as figuring out how to get any specific outcome.

Looks like you are either on a big project or really intent on getting the most out of Kronos. I mention this after seeing the number of posts you have made lately and the things you are trying to work out.
That is a lot more than i have put on my plate in a long time.

Good luck with all that, and i am glad to learn somethings from you here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: