Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sync Kronos effects to external Midi clock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fteering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Sync Kronos effects to external Midi clock Reply with quote

I am in a Marillion Tributeband. The problem we are facing is that there are many effects which are timed, like a timed delay. We want to sync all midi equipment to one device, for example an Guitar effect generator with midi out.

So I am trying to sync my Kronos to that device so that it is a slave and all the effects in the Kronos are synced in time with the other device.. But somehow it doesn't work.... Is there someone here who faced this problem as well and could help me out here?

Regards,
Francois
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the Kronos as a slave to external MIDI Clock on the MIDI/MIDI page in GLOBAL mode.

Don't forget to save the GLOBAL setting so that it stays that way after you reboot.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck with your tribute band!
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sync Kronos effects to external Midi clock Reply with quote

fteering wrote:
So I am trying to sync my Kronos to that device so that it is a slave

With Kronos Global MIDI settings (MIDI Clock External)?
Is the master device sending out midi clock? Do other devices get synced from that master device?

fteering wrote:
and all the effects in the Kronos are synced in time with the other device.

Each particular effect, that has some time related component in Program or Combi also needs to be synced with tempo, did you check these?

fteering wrote:
But somehow it doesn't work....

What exactly you did, that you expected to "work"?
fteering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick responses!! Great Forum!

@psionic311: In Global I did set the MIDI Clock to auto, so it should detect external midi.

@Alland: The master should send out midi, but is there someway to check on the Kronos if MIDI is being received... There is no "midi send/receive light" that will blink every time MIDI is passed....
You say each effect needs to be synced within the Program or Combi.. Do you know where I can find that? Most issues I have are with delay effects. From the manual I understand that I should select the DELAY with BPM to sync... Is that correct?
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fteering wrote:
@psionic311: In Global I did set the MIDI Clock to auto, so it should detect external midi.

Yes, MIDI Clock Auto means
• If MIDI Clocks are being received, they control the KRONOS tempo.
• If MIDI Clocks are not being received, the KRONOS uses its internal tempo instead.

But also be sure what AUTO you need - if connected with MIDI cable to MIDI input, you need "Auto MIDI", is connected by USB, you need to set "Auto USB".

fteering wrote:
@Alland: The master should send out midi, but is there someway to check on the Kronos if MIDI is being received... There is no "midi send/receive light" that will blink every time MIDI is passed....
You say each effect needs to be synced within the Program or Combi.. Do you know where I can find that? Most issues I have are with delay effects. From the manual I understand that I should select the DELAY with BPM to sync... Is that correct?

In order to control Kronos time related effects the Master must also send MIDI tempo/sync, not just MIDI.
It is easy to recognize on Kronos - change the tempo on Master device and see, if Tempo changes on Kronos.
If Kronos is catching external MIDI tempo, then Tempo shows "EXT" (upper right corner where quarter note sign is displayed) and you cannot change tempo from Tempo button. If Kronos shows some number on Tempo display and you can change it from Tempo button, then Kronos is on getting tempo information from external source. You can quickly feel your tempo if you turn Drum Track on Smile . If Kronos is set for forced external Tempo and does not get Tempo data from outside, then Drum Start (nor Karma rhytmic parts) even does not start (waiting for sync/tempo that does not come).

About effects - any effect with name contains "BPM" should sync with tempo (internal or external, if available) indeed. BPM effects however have some finer settings to sync on whole note, half or quarter or triplet etc. Also in any particular effect you must ensure, that "BPM" setting is set to "MIDI", otherwise there is some fixed BPM number.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all the above is good advice, and everything I would have said. EXT mode works for me as well. I tend to use USB for MIDI, so set th clock mode on the Kronos to USB AUTO.

In terms of checking the source clock, if you have a PC with a MIDI Interface you can get a copy of MIDIOX and set it to show all events including clock to make sure that you are sending.

Also dumb question time. Are you connecting Master Clock source MIDI out to Kronos MIDI IN?

A little OT: Kudos on being in a Marillion Tribute band - great band and very underrated. Hope you get to do Easter which has to be one of my favourite songs of theirs. I also helped crowd fund (in the days before it was called that) Marbles, and have my name in the special double edition. Love that album as well. Brave is another favourite. I think Rothery is a very underrated player.

Back OT, if you have trouble syncing the Kronos to the guitar processor, can you do it the other way around?

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure your Kronos is on the right channel for your purposes there, but has the guitar playing midi device set to the same channel?

Anything that has to do with midi sync, begins first with both devices being on the same channel or at least using a midi bypass system as middle man for rerouting in-between devices.
After making sure the channels are matched or cross routed to share the same messages, then Global sync settings comes into play.

Midi clock should be an omni channel function that sends over all and any channels being used, regardless of Global channel setting...but i do not know the guitar player midi device and its midi channeling behavior.

I seem to remember that FX pages have midi channel setting options. Not sure if that is some FX pages or all. I am far away from Kronos and cannot check to be sure about that or if it even applies to the situation here.
fteering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response, but I am very grateful to you all. It helped me a lot. I know now that the Nord Stage doesn't zend Midi Clock, so I tried another midi device. This one does send midi clock and as you all predicted, it works! Thank you psionic311, Alland, Derek and 19naia.. !
@DerekL: I agree, Marillion is underrated and we just finished Easter as well.... I am the lead singer as well, Hogarth style Smile

Regards
Francois
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: