Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it worth buying PA4x? When a new model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotrek_muzyk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Is it worth buying PA4x? When a new model Reply with quote

Hellow

I have pa2x and I would like to change the instrument for a new model but PA4x is already present from 2015. Is there any sense to buy a new model?

Has anyone heard anything about the successor?
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was any news about successor of Korg pa4x, such information would appear here on the forum.
At this moment there is no OFFICIAL INFORMATION

All news appeared are only somekind of prediction and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been comments from 4X owners about the old tech inside the 4X being slow and limited in fast memory.

That said with the OS Next version being a complete rewrite (if what we are lead to believe is true) then part of the update has released more memory for User needs.

A sceptic could also say that they are trying to extend the life 4X by the OS update, by the freebie packs and by the Osimo Songbook/Setlist plugin.

If a 5X / 2000 or whatever it may well be called comes along it will no doubt by considerably more expensive than current version.

Look at the Yamahaha Genos, the only real competitor here in the UK it was £3,600 when first released, now it is £3,200. So I would presume the same high price to commence, the same thing happened with the 1000 and 700 where the current price is over 10% less than the initial cost.

So you could be in for quite a wait even after the release date, it took many months for many 1000 buyers to get their keyboard
keysman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded from my PA3x earlier this year to the PA4x after much deliberation. Am I glad I made the move? You bet it's a cracking upgrade and instrument that serves my purposes superbly. Believe me, you would be amazed if you are coming from the PA2x.

Personally I would be very skeptical about buying a new released model for at least 18 months (Post PA4X). Initial software teething problems are basically left to the new owners to report back via forums such as these with OS upgrades released as and when they are addressed by the manufacturer. Take a look at the latest PA4x OS upgrade and initial problems which are still not fully resolved, hence I haven't upgraded my OS as yet Wink

Hope this helps in someway on your decision.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pa4x unlike kronos , is NOT a PC...
So what does it really mean that "the hardware is old"?
AVR mcus are old too but they are being used in countless industrial projects even today because they are cheap , last for a long time and they meet the requirements for what they need to do..
Same in our keyboards..
The hardware inside is more than enough for what it is designed to do ..
The dsp is not overloaded, the whole system is way faster than pa3x, the memory is what they designed it to be etc.
What makes a product is the software it runs and if this meets the official task list (what the keyboard should be able to do and how it should behave)...
What i see is not a slow processor/dsp/memory but flaws in coding that result in bugs which make it unstable under some special circumstances.
Pa4x though has a pretty stable OS (2.2) and a stable enough for most users newer/upgraded OS (3.1).
If the hardware couldn't handle the newer sample management system they would have never released it..
It can handle it but it has some unavoidable bugs (as it is a very complex system and they design/test it first time in 4x) which i believe will be fixed sooner or later.
Next model , when it comes ( i believe we will not see it this year as many expect ) should have way less bugs in this aspect as most of them will have already been fixed in 4x.
I also believe that the hardware is even capable of nice sounding audio styles as ketron did it with really underpowered hardware compared to pa4x or even pa2x so i wouldn't be surprised if next model will have the same family of processors (DMxxxx) with higher on board ram and bigger eMMC (that's what pa4x is anyway compared to pa300/600/900/3xle/havian30 and i m not even sure that the processor/ram has changed or is same as 900/3xle)..
Does it matter?
For me no as long as the keyboard does what it was meant to do..
The OS is NOT a complete rewrite..
The factory resources were already in streaming mode.They rewrote the USER ram part.The difficult part wasn't the ram part i guess but making it easy for the user to use it without changing the way it was already working on the outside (what the user sees).Thats why there are bugs..
The internal code is way different but the interface had to remain the same.
This lead to unpredictable results as users do the same thing is way too many different ways that a small group of people (the programmers) can't think of!
I don't blame the users ofcourse!!
IT should have been ready when released to public or they should have released the os as an open beta so the users should know what they are working with!

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piotrek_muzyk wrote:
I have pa2x and I would like to change the instrument for a new model but PA4x is already present from 2015. Is there any sense to buy a new model?

Has anyone heard anything about the successor?
As said above, no-one here knows about any new Korg gear - only Korg could (but won't) answer that.
Jumping from PA2X to PA4X would be like having all your birthdays at once - it is very different and way advanced compared to the PA2X.
The OS on the PA4X was a re-write (since PA3X) according to Korg - the latest OS-NEXT is a major enhancement and not a re-write as confirmed above. In terms of internal hardware, I don't know what difference "faster" components would make - I've not experienced any "slow" moments when using mine - but then, I haven't noticed any since my first Korg i3. Start-up speed was the most complained about in the past. Yamaha startup (Tyros/Genos etc...) seems faster because it continues loading in the background but allows you to play whilst doing so. Current PA4X is way faster to load compared to previous models. Most of that depends on how many USER samples you have and need.

PA4X is an awesome keyboard but I guess, if you can wait for an undefined amount of time, then you will have a choice.
I personally, always wait 12-18 months after a new keyboard release (no matter what brand) - time to settle into the market - apart from getting any major bugs sorted, the price has traditionally dropped here after 12+ months.

If you love the PA2X, can afford to upgrade, and would like to do that soon, then go for a PA4X - you will love it.
Be warned - there is a learning curve and some patience required when moving to the the PA4X.
If you can afford to keep your PA2X for a while the transition will be much easier for you - but if you need the $$ from the PA2X to buy the PA4X, then we can help you with any questions etc....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
B.Safe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill wrote:
The factory resources were already in streaming mode.They rewrote the USER ram part.The difficult part wasn't the ram part i guess but making it easy for the user to use it without changing the way it was already working on the outside (what the user sees).Thats why there are bugs..
The internal code is way different but the interface had to remain the same.
This lead to unpredictable results as users do the same thing is way too many different ways that a small group of people (the programmers) can't think of!
I don't blame the users ofcourse!!

I completely agree with that. When you see what the slightest change in operation causes as emotions, the possibilities of Korg's engineers to make improvements to the instruments are risky and very limited...
Minneapolis Musician

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiccankill,

Well said. I agree with you about keyboards being obsolete or not.

I have had the pa4x for three years and I love it.

I am still discovering a few things, and have never even tapped into the full potential of the Kaos unit.

PA4x harmonies, Beach Boys song: https://youtu.be/3drsnU6j8Po?t=3m25s

All songs: http://www.reverbnation.com/GlennGalen
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odds of a new model months after a completely new OS is basically nil. Why would Korg scavenge sales from a new arranger by making the old one far more capable?
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: pa5x Reply with quote

just like from pa3x to pa4x ,not much change ,, little better this and better that,,nothing groundbreaking..

the new pa5x will have the new OS in it with out bugs and more memory and fast and updated CPU ,Real SATA port & USB 3 support,,Increasing Polyphony,,all pedal settings saved with registration,HDMI output for FullHD monitors and TVs,Support for WAV for playback and recording,
So I hope ,and I will buy one..
Question
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in the market for a new Arranger then if the 4X fulfils your needs then go for it.

If say Korg was to be at NAMM 2020 with a new 5X it would probably be September next year before keyboards become available all be it at a high price. 18 months later the bugs will have been reduced and the price will have come down to a realistic level.

So ask yourself the question, do I want to wait until 2022 for a new Korg PA5X?
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
If you are in the market for a new Arranger then if the 4X fulfils your needs then go for it.

If say Korg was to be at NAMM 2020 with a new 5X it would probably be September next year before keyboards become available all be it at a high price. 18 months later the bugs will have been reduced and the price will have come down to a realistic level.

So ask yourself the question, do I want to wait until 2022 for a new Korg PA5X?
+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: