Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Keys, Bass and Beats... what do you keep?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Volca Keys, Bass and Beats... what do you keep? Reply with quote

Ok here is the thing:you have to get rid off something and substitute with something else.

What Volca you'll keep and why? And what you'll get instead and why?

Feel free to suggest anything, I mean if you think a Keys with a pedal is better than two synth go for it.

I just would like to see what you like/hate about it and what you do with it.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all three and sold the keys and beats. Still have the bass, still inspired!
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
I had all three and sold the keys and beats. Still have the bass, still inspired!

What you didn't like about it?

I'm actually thinking the same. The Bass is nice,sound good, the sequencer is nice.
I notice the Keys saw and pulse sounds like my Electribe, surely you can only modulate one thing instead of LFO and Envelope to pitch and filter with different intensity but still I can resample in the Electribe and work with that, with a tuner is easy to loop and make it sound like an oscillator.
I mean there are times when I like it but I'm not impressed about the filter, which is the main thing really, still nice the unquantize 4 bar, a lot of expensive gear don't have that.
Mr NOYJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bass was the first one I got - and it's still one of my favourites: the fact that you can't chain patterns is more than compensated for by the fact that you can split the oscillator into three, set different active steps for each, and have a massive great polyrhythmic soup going on. I also love what you can do with the square LFO, jumping between original and target notes in precise timings.

The keys was the second; it's fine, but I find the sound palette limited...

The beats I have now is the third one I have bought; I returned the first two after being disappointed each time (d'oh!) with its limitations, volume output and sound palette (ahem, let's not mention the snare) - but I am now a completist, accepting of its shortcomings, and have used my current beats for a few things - and I like it! It sounds especially good through the filter on a monotron duo.

So I think if I had to ditch one, it would be the keys...
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keys went after I got a minilogue. The beats was cool but the snare was rubbish...replaced with a tr8, imo one of the best drum machines I've ever used
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Beats but I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. I'd sell it, chuck in a few more $$$ and get a Model:Samples if I was more motivated (read as: not so lazy) to list it somewhere. I feel percussion can't be done completely with analogue. Still there are some instruments that sound better in analogue and I have an abundance of analogue drums that all sound better than every part on the Beats, but it's like a never ending search for a decent snare so digital it's going to have to be. All my (80's and 90's) digital drum machines have died, it's time to replace them.
Side note: I have a Circuit but I don't like the very limited drum programming, otherwise it'd be a perfect candidate for my digi-drums.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
The keys went after I got a minilogue. The beats was cool but the snare was rubbish...replaced with a tr8, imo one of the best drum machines I've ever used

I'm thinking to sell Keys and Beats and have a DrumBrute. No the impact sounds s**t and not control, also I love the individual output. Or I wait and get the Behringer RD 9. It's nice what they implement in the sequencer: conditions, roll,flam, polyrhythms or whatever it's called and ransient master, filter, thr RD 8 sounds identical and even if it's not it sounds so good.
But the DrumBrute seem to cover both flavour but differently which I like it and I can get for cheaper.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call.

I think that I'd keep the Keys, because it has substantial tonal variation available, with the ringmod options, as well as knob-action control of the portamento and detune level, and optional three-voice paraphony.

The Bass is very, very good and I do like it a lot.

I never got the Beats. In the end I got a Boutique for that 909 basic soundset, and I have various options for kits in my workstations.

I don't feel under-supplied with drums.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Tough call.

I think that I'd keep the Keys, because it has substantial tonal variation available, with the ringmod options, as well as knob-action control of the portamento and detune level, and optional three-voice paraphony.

The Bass is very, very good and I do like it a lot.

I never got the Beats. In the end I got a Boutique for that 909 basic soundset, and I have various options for kits in my workstations.

I don't feel under-supplied with drums.

It's crazy how you say the Keys has substantial tonal variation and for others it hasn't. It's just based on how you use it, sometimes I think certain products don't shine because they have bad review when in reality they're strong in the right hands.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the Keys isn't as varied as, say, a Behringer Model D. But given solo/paraphony, octave, fifth, unison ringmod and paraphonic ringmod, there's a lot to like already.

Add to that the filter, the envelope and the delay circuit, as well as the LFO, and you have a whole range of sounds.

Sure, it's three saws. But you can do a lot with three saws. It will do good pads, good atmospherics, good plucks and good leads within its gamut. No regrets.
Darkside

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough Volca Keys shines the most in all kind of mono/unison stuff, while in that poly/paraphonic mode it's nothing too funky to rave about. It still should have been done without that crappy delay, as that's most likely causing noise and quiet output. In that last parameter - output loudness - Bass is definitely the winner. And what about the beats: well, in the beginning I got all three, sold the Beats the next year and bought another one from a friend about two years after selling mine. By itself Volca Beats is somewhat out of balance within itself: some sounds kick ass while others just don't fit anywhere. And yes, it's good to use the Beats complimenting something else, but it's not quite capable of being the one drum machine to cover a whole track and that's down to that big disparity between those sounds inside it. So yeah, at the moment I have all three, but if any of them would have to go Beats would leave the place first, keys would be second and Bass wouldn't go anywhere. May-be it will be joined by that NuBass screaming acid spitter one day.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkside wrote:
Strangely enough Volca Keys shines the most in all kind of mono/unison stuff, while in that poly/paraphonic mode it's nothing too funky to rave about. It still should have been done without that crappy delay, as that's most likely causing noise and quiet output. In that last parameter - output loudness - Bass is definitely the winner. And what about the beats: well, in the beginning I got all three, sold the Beats the next year and bought another one from a friend about two years after selling mine. By itself Volca Beats is somewhat out of balance within itself: some sounds kick ass while others just don't fit anywhere. And yes, it's good to use the Beats complimenting something else, but it's not quite capable of being the one drum machine to cover a whole track and that's down to that big disparity between those sounds inside it. So yeah, at the moment I have all three, but if any of them would have to go Beats would leave the place first, keys would be second and Bass wouldn't go anywhere. May-be it will be joined by that NuBass screaming acid spitter one day.

If you gain stage properly you don't have much noise from the Keys.
The internal gain stage of the Beats on the other side it make me crazy. The toms are so quiet and the kick too loud and if you lower the loud parts, they become too quiet. I love the kick and hats sounds but yeah I probably gonna sell it.
I suggest to avoid the NuBass, it sounds really good with same nice features like accent, swing, transpose but it doesn't make sense the LFO Rate and Int. as shift function. I mean how many times you move the lfo speed and eg int together? Or lfo rate and speed together? I mean everytime your lfo parameters will jump and you have one hands because the others is pressing shift. No sense.

I think the Volca Drum is the best of the new line. It's a compact Electribe ER 1 without audio in but with more features and sounds.
Probability, slice, effects, layered sounds, that retrigged envelope and the possibility to save kits and chain up to 16 pattern.

What's your alternative?
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kept all three because i don't think i'd make a good sale on them. each has something to offer, and they don't take up much space. but i use the FM and Sample more. modified the Beats with a pull-out capacitor in an adaptor (was the only way i was going to succed with that mod), and the separate outs. sounds ok through a gated reverb (most things probably do) - and i'm planning on doing MIDI out on mini-TRS to all of them and using them as sequencers. other than that, i'd welcome more mods to Keys and Bass appearing. i will probably continue to pick up volcas if they turn up cheap.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:
kept all three because i don't think i'd make a good sale on them. each has something to offer, and they don't take up much space. but i use the FM and Sample more. modified the Beats with a pull-out capacitor in an adaptor (was the only way i was going to succed with that mod), and the separate outs. sounds ok through a gated reverb (most things probably do) - and i'm planning on doing MIDI out on mini-TRS to all of them and using them as sequencers. other than that, i'd welcome more mods to Keys and Bass appearing. i will probably continue to pick up volcas if they turn up cheap.

Good point.
I just don't like mod my stuff for a simple reason:time and possible failure. In that case I will buy something else, I hate force a gear to do what I want when it wasn't meant to be.
djresonator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Keys and the Beats when they came out and sold them. While it’s nice to have analog gear for cheap, they’re too limited for me to keep. The Volcas are great for people just starting out and on a budget. But that’s about it. The Behringer synths and the Roland Boutiques offer more for a few extra dollars. But if $300+ is out of your price range, there’s always the IK Mulitimedia Uno synth and drum machines for $200.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: