Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effect Processing in Sequences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PitViper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Effect Processing in Sequences Reply with quote

Anybody have any ideas for a noob on what the best methods for controlling effects in a sequence are? Ie...how to control/modify or save effect settings using MIDI in each sequence perhaps?

I've considered a custom combi for each sequence but that seems really inefficient to me.

-Pit

Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam - I will find a way or make one.

Kronos 2 73, Alesis VI61, Alesis Vortex, Behringer FCB1010
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PitViper,

Do you mean that you have one patch, but you run through different types of effects on that same sound, one after the other?

It depends entirely on what and how you perform.. For instance, I will usually have both hands busy, so to make switches inside a song possible, I'll make separate COMBIs for each patch and use a foot switch to toggle between them in the SETLIST.

If you have a free hand at the time of the transition, you can set up changes in any number of ways, from Vector Joystick, SW1 & 2 buttons and RT knobs. It really depends on the situation and what you are after.
PitViper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Gunnar. Actually I cound the answer to my own question about 5 minutes ago.

My question was in reference to effect routing as it pertains to sequencing. Ie...spend hours getting a decent sounding set of effects on each prog in the song, how does one save it so that the effects automatically apply at the loading of the song?

The short answer, as with most cases, I'm making this way too complicated. Load a MIDI file to a sequence, set the patch changes to those of your liking, assign effects, save as a SNG, and everytime the SNG loads, it has your effect settings exactly as they were saved.

This thing is a beast with an even beaster learning curve. My last axe was a Roland G8 which was relatively easy on the effects side.

Thanks again!

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a tuto about realtim fx control : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrM1J9-CaI&t=234s
Perhaps it could help.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In more complicated situations with effects settings changing per track during a song, i noticed sequencer drop down menu command showing “Put Effect Setting To Track” Maybe a bit off from the exact question but it is close enough to the topic.

~~~~Page 660 parameter guide~~~~~
Put Effect Setting to Track
This inserts effect settings into a track as System Exclusive events. Use this when you want to change the effect settings during a song.
If you use MIDI parameter change system exclusive messages to change the effect settings, it will take a certain amount of time for the effect change to occur. In addition, the sound may not change smoothly if sound is being produced at that time. Be aware of the timing of your playback data, and make the appropriate adjustments to the location at which the system exclusive message is inserted.
Note: If you switch effects during the song, you should also insert this command at the beginning of the track (Measure 001, Beat.Tick 01.000) as well, so that the song starts with the correct effect.
1. Use P8: Insert Effect or P9: Master /Total Effect to edit the effect you want to insert (IFX1–12, MFX1, 2, TFX 1, 2), and determine the song, track, measure, beat, and clock at which you should insert the System Exclusive event.
For example, let’s suppose that IFX6 which is used on track 3 needs to change at the beginning of measure 9.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to rely on Kronos FX heavily, you need to follow the Korg approach;

IFX

TFX

MFX

And the various routing possibilities.

I am not sure a brief post will address your question. It will take some time investment to understand the Korg approach.

With that, you should find an approach.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also save and name your FX settings as an FX preset to be used later.

After editing the IFX parameters to your liking, select the dropdown menu from the very upper right corner -- Write FX Preset.

You can access the particular FX presets for each effect by using the dropdown menu next to the "P" just under the very upper right corner.
PitViper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured a lot of these things out last night after a short but informative deep-dive with the manuals and just playing around with things.

I appreciate everyones input on this. Very steep learning curve to this great workstation. I could probably spend the next 6 months in isolation with my headphones and the manuals and still not know it completely.

I'll be giving back to the community on here posting patches, samples, sequences, etc...pretty soon hopefully.

Thanks again everyone!

Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PitViper wrote:
Anybody have any ideas for a noob on what the best methods for controlling effects in a sequence are? Ie...how to control/modify or save effect settings using MIDI in each sequence perhaps?

Thanks to Liviou2004 for the link, and 19naia for bringing up the "Put Effect Setting To Track." Watching both of these should answer your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrM1J9-CaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnM4Ifx0qY

PitViper wrote:
Very steep learning curve to this great workstation. I could probably spend the next 6 months in isolation with my headphones and the manuals and still not know it completely.

6 months is short selling its depth, in my opinion. Laughing
PitViper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I needed to know.

Truly bada$$...

I feel like a mad scientist with a new hideout that boasts 9 laboratories...muahahahaaaaa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: