Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA1000 & PA700 Keybed feel request.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwc uk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: PA1000 & PA700 Keybed feel request. Reply with quote

I know the keybed on TYROS & PA4X is acceptable (Subjective)

Difficult to express keybed feel in words but feedback would be helpful as I have yet to find a 1000 or 700 locally to test them myself.

Yamaha competitor PSR S975 & 775 are not to my liking being very soft.

Appreciated.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are therefore not buying a 1000 or 700

They have very similar feel to the respective Yamaha competitors all be it the Korgs are made of substantially better materials
gwc uk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles. (You are therefore not buying a 1000 or 700 )

Where did you get that quote from ?.
I stated I would if possible view the Korg's locally if they are in stock.
Had my Tyros 12 years so be nice to have a change.

I have had Korg previously right back to i3 days.
taichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 feel Reply with quote

Keyboard feel. I have a Pa4x 76 and a Pa1000. Key thickness is the same, length a bit different. I am happy with the feel of Pa1000 and being lighter can throw it in the car and go. But nothing compares to Pa4X, different class.

Pa1000 very good. However KORG have knackered up my Pa4X with their silly updates so think about this and hope they will not do the same with your Pa1000. Or mine. Just a thouht because my Pa4X is not a shadow of the machine I purchased a couple of years ago. Read past posts and if not sure do notthing.

Good luck

Dylan
gwc uk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taichi. I have sent you a PM.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwc uk wrote:
PSR S975 & 775 are not to my liking being very soft.

Biggles wrote:

They have very similar feel to the respective Yamaha competitors

Hmmm... My understanding is that the PSR S975 and 775 have the same actions as each other, no? Since the 1000 and 700 have different actions from each other, it seems like at least one should feel different from the Yamahas. Or do you think the 1000 and 700 keys just don't feel that different from each other? (Though obviously aftertouch is a notable difference in their functionality.)

The question prompted me to search for action comparisons, and I came upon your post at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=738467&sid=a652cead34f13fc0e33ab5ef765ba4aa
where you said that the 1000 and 700 would both feel better than the S970... and isn't that the same action as the S975 as well? In which case, if you used to think the Korgs felt better than the Yamahas and you now think they feel about the same, it sounds like either your opinions of the Yamaha actions have gotten better or your opinions of the Korg actions have gotten worse?

The only one of these actions I've played is the PA1000. In terms of velocity response (including difference in resistance as you proceed from the front toward back of the keys), which matters especially for piano, I think it feels better than the action of the Kross 61 or King Korg, which I've read may be the same action as the PA700, but I'm not sure about that. You have the Kross and the PA700, right? Would you say they're the same action? Do you notice any difference in their piano playability? I've never had the opportunity to play the PA700, but if it plays like the Kross/KK, I do think the PA1000 feels better than that.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
gwc uk wrote:
PSR S975 & 775 are not to my liking being very soft.

Biggles wrote:

They have very similar feel to the respective Yamaha competitors

Hmmm... My understanding is that the PSR S975 and 775 have the same actions as each other, no? Since the 1000 and 700 have different actions from each other, it seems like at least one should feel different from the Yamahas. Or do you think the 1000 and 700 keys just don't feel that different from each other? (Though obviously aftertouch is a notable difference in their functionality.)

The question prompted me to search for action comparisons, and I came upon your post at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=738467&sid=a652cead34f13fc0e33ab5ef765ba4aa
where you said that the 1000 and 700 would both feel better than the S970... and isn't that the same action as the S975 as well? In which case, if you used to think the Korgs felt better than the Yamahas and you now think they feel about the same, it sounds like either your opinions of the Yamaha actions have gotten better or your opinions of the Korg actions have gotten worse?

The only one of these actions I've played is the PA1000. In terms of velocity response (including difference in resistance as you proceed from the front toward back of the keys), which matters especially for piano, I think it feels better than the action of the Kross 61 or King Korg, which I've read may be the same action as the PA700, but I'm not sure about that. You have the Kross and the PA700, right? Would you say they're the same action? Do you notice any difference in their piano playability? I've never had the opportunity to play the PA700, but if it plays like the Kross/KK, I do think the PA1000 feels better than that.

Scott
Comparing like for like price point keyboard feel was not my prime aim, which was sound quality, features and build.

The 1000 has aftertouch and it felt better than the Yamaha 975 but not by much, sound quality of the Korg was to me much better

The 700 felt very similar to the 675 when I played those back to back, and again the Korg was in a different league in the quality of the inbuilt sounds except for certain pianos which is easily solved by Reubens patches.

Both my 700 and Kross 2 feel very similar but if anything the Kross 2 has a very slightly stiffer return spring action.

Keybed feel is subjective and each to their own personal taste, hence try before you buy is a pretty safe option to follow if you can.
gwc uk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today 26th June 19 I visited local music shop to view PA700 & PA1000.
Here's my thoughts.

1. PA1000 keybed is different to 700 as each key has a small metal plate bonded under the keys plus After Touch. PA700 keys feels softer.

2. PA1000 has better plastic buttons that click nicely when selected,700 has rubber buttons.

3. PA1000 contains larger Bass-Mid drivers plus a separate dedicated Tweeters L&R. 700 Has one smaller dual concentric Bass-Mid-Tweeters L&R.

For me I would happily pay the extra for PA1000 and over the number of years of use that extra is minimal.

Can't comment on speaker performance as I used my own headphones as a standard I know well.

Downside. Neither 700 or 1000 sounded right to me...being shop display units for what ever length of time it is possible that the EQ and other setting could been altered and set badly, answer will be to study from manual how to set board back to factory default and visit the shop again.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwc uk wrote:
1. PA1000 keybed is different to 700 as each key has a small metal plate bonded under the keys plus After Touch. PA700 keys feels softer.

I wonder if the 1000 actually uses the exact same keys as the 700 with the addition of the aftertouch strip and the metal plates for weights. The 1000 keys do feel more controllable for piano velocity than the Kross/KingKorg keys which, as mentioned, are likely the same as (or at least very similar to) the PA700 keys.

gwc uk wrote:
2. PA1000 has better plastic buttons that click nicely when selected,700 has rubber buttons.

I wasn't aware of that difference. I haven't played a PA700, but the PA1000 buttons do feel nice.

gwc uk wrote:
3. PA1000 contains larger Bass-Mid drivers plus a separate dedicated Tweeters L&R. 700 Has one smaller dual concentric Bass-Mid-Tweeters L&R.

Very interesting. I was aware of the wattage difference (33 watts on the PA1000 vs 25 watts on the PA700), but I hadn't noticed the actual speakers are different... that's actually pretty significant, the sound quality is probably noticeably better on the PA1000, even apart from anything having to do with any increased volume/headroom from the amp. The PA1000 is using the more traditional 2-way woofer-and-tweeter design... the PA700 is using a "whizzer cone" to get more high frequencies out of what is otherwise a single "full range" speaker. I would expect the PA1000 to have a smoother frequency response.

gwc uk wrote:
For me I would happily pay the extra for PA1000 and over the number of years of use that extra is minimal.

Besides the things you mentioned, there are some other notable differences:
* vocal processor/harmonizer
* more than double the sample memory
* tilt screen
* slightly larger sound set (DNC guitars in particular)
gwc uk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott. Thank you for reply. I was very disappointed today as I have always liked and respected Korg products. I would have liked to make purchase of PA1000.
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re Pa700 and Pa1000 Reply with quote

As with most arrangers will have a flat sound when they come out of the box. I've had my Pa700 since launch was one of the first in the Uk.

Ive changed the Eq settings on mine which makes a world of difference, and only now getting the sound I want, and it's a big sound.

For me it ticks all boxes.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwc uk wrote:
Yamaha owner looking to buy PA1000 or PA700

You might find this video interesting... the first half compares some styles, the second half compares some sounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PophNYJQrB0
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Graham that your trip to test out the Korgs went the way it did.

As has been stated adjusting the Eq settings does make a great deal of difference.

Did you get chance to play any other make of keyboard?

If you did I would be interested in hearing what you tried and how the felt and sounded.
gwc uk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott. Yes interesting comparison...thanks for the link.
gwc uk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles. Thank you for your concern...In the shop listened to both PSR S775 & PA1000. I was wanting to like the Korg so I can consider a purchase that's why I came away disappointed.
My next visit to the shop I will reset the PA to Factory default as a basis to start from.
After 12 years with the tyros I have tweaked it's heart out so it sounds vibrant and I would love to do the same with the PA1000 adjusting EQ's & Settings if it works out.

Mean time I'm Enjoying watching Webinar video's, a little too much side chatter but Luke & Adam are dong a fair job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: