Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos 2 - Convert midi files to drumkits in bulk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manishthatte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos 2 - Convert midi files to drumkits in bulk Reply with quote

Hello Dear All,
I just purchased indian sounds from Swarsystems and I got a nice collection of midi files. My problem is, when i want to load and play the midi files, my kronos associates each midi file with piano, whereas, I want it to be automatically associated with the correct indian instrument (eg. tabla or dholak etc.). The solution I found was, 1) Load the sf2 files for the sound samples, 2) Load each midi file into songs in sampling mode AND 3) to associate each midi file with the correct instrument, sample itto .wav and save it AND then convert it into a drum kit.
But this is taking too long, because I have to process each midi file individually. My question is, is there a way, wherein, I can load a batch of midi files, already correctly associated with the right instrument and then sample the whole batch and convert the whole batch into a drum kit. Any suggestions will be hugely appreciated.
Best Regards,
Manish
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos 2 - Convert midi files to drumkits in bulk Reply with quote

manishthatte wrote:
Hello Dear All,
I just purchased indian sounds from Swarsystems and I got a nice collection of midi files. My problem is, when i want to load and play the midi files, my kronos associates each midi file with piano, whereas, I want it to be automatically associated with the correct indian instrument (eg. tabla or dholak etc.). The solution I found was, 1) Load the sf2 files for the sound samples, 2) Load each midi file into songs in sampling mode AND 3) to associate each midi file with the correct instrument, sample itto .wav and save it AND then convert it into a drum kit.
But this is taking too long, because I have to process each midi file individually. My question is, is there a way, wherein, I can load a batch of midi files, already correctly associated with the right instrument and then sample the whole batch and convert the whole batch into a drum kit. Any suggestions will be hugely appreciated.
Best Regards,
Manish

One of your steps sounds confusing. Need to make sure we are on the same page. What do you mean by
" Load each midi file into songs in sampling mode"?
MIDI files (SMF) are loaded into Sequencer Mode. MIDI files are NOT audio and sampling mode cannot do anything with them.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure what the OP means is using the Audio In/Sampling page that is available in SEQ mode to record the playback of the midi file.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then what does this mean?
"3) to associate each midi file with the correct instrument, sample itto .wav and save it AND then convert it into a drum kit."
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drum kit has to be a program in Kronos before it can work in midi Sequencer or with drum track in Combi or Program mode.

When you say associated with the right instrument, are these instruments Kronos internal instruments or instruments that are outside of Kronos?

The right instruments will have to be drum kits and that means they will have to be programs. Drum kits and drum patterns are kept separate in Kronos.
You cannot convert drum patterns into drum kits.
You have to make custom drum kits using samples or select a drum kit from Kronos preset or installed drum kit programs, and then you assign those to a track and then apply the midi file or a drum track pattern.

If you select a preexisting kronos program drum kit with the instruments you need but they align to the wrong midi notes for you, you can try transpose or pitch shift to shift the note and instrument alignment.
I have a Roland drum machine with Korg kronos instruments, and i have to pitch shift one 12 steps from the other to get the right match of midi note to drum kit instrument.
Your source of midi files may use a different midi note mapping than Kronos or Roland. So you may need a different pitch shift setting than i use.
And maybe yours will be more complicated than mere pitch shift, and that means you will need a midi note re-mapping feature like Karma has.

Note mapping is your primary issue as i understand it, but i am still not sure what instrument source you are using. Are you talking about using Kronos internal program sampled drum instruments, or using drum instrument samples from outside of kronos?

Last edited by 19naia on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP mentioned something about SF2 files. Lotsa unanswered questions/confusing terminology.
manishthatte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: My Bad... So sorry Reply with quote

So sorry for the confusing terminology and even more confusing questions. I am very very new to kronos, and even more confused myself than you folks.

Laughing

Any way, I found my solution: I downloaded "Reaper" and bulk rendered my midi files to wav files with the correct instruments associated. First problem solved.

Now I will attempt to load these wav files into my kronos and create drumkits with them. Currently researching on the topic.

Best,
Manish
manishthatte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Exactly... Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
I'm pretty sure what the OP means is using the Audio In/Sampling page that is available in SEQ mode to record the playback of the midi file.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "drumkits" do you mean audio backing tracks that include drums and other instruments, similar to karaoke?
manishthatte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Deep instrument - Kronos Reply with quote

I am just beginning to unravel the mystery that the Korg Kronos is. Earlier I have used the PA600, which had readymade Indian sounds and drumkits loaded.
But with the Kronos, I had to purchase the indian instrument sounds (sf2 files) as well as the tabla taals and tanpura ambience.
Learning... slowly learning...
manishthatte

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
By "drumkits" do you mean audio backing tracks that include drums and other instruments, similar to karaoke?

See, normally, simple Indian classical music has atleast 3 - 4 components...
1) The lead voice or sound, either vocal or a melodious instrument, which renders the raagas
2) The rhythm, typically with a tabla or some such percussion instrument, which render the taal
AND
3) Ambient sound, typically a stringed instrument such as a tanpura.

So, the idea is to play the main raaga with the hands, and convert a tabla taal loop and tanpura sound loop into a drumkit...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Kronos is not a plug and play type of device. You have to build everything up from scratch. There are a few things that can help simplify that, but this is definitely not an arranger keyboard. Knowing that you have used arranger keyboards in the past really helps me to understand a little bit better where you are coming from. But I still am a bit confused about your use of the term drum sets. Do you want something that is going to run off the sequencer or the drum track? I think it would be safe to say that anything that would be done with drums in the Kronos would definitely be a lot different than the way it is approached by the arranger keyboard. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you read through the operations guide. This will give you an idea of what the Kronos is capable of and possibly might help you to understand what you need to do to achieve what you are trying to achieve. Korg has been making workstations since the M1. So the workstation has been in continual development. It is not easy to just say do this that and this and you will get done what you want to get done. It is a bit more involved than that. I would also recommend that you look for YouTube videos that will help you understand a bit more about the Kronos.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sf2 files is also another thing to understand.
You need to understand what they are and their compatibility, just as much as understanding how Kronos works and what it can work with.

I looked up complaints about getting sf2 files to work and found this thread with similar complaints as yours.
https://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?39225

And the replies there leaned towards software in DAW environment to work things out. Also mentions in the thread of getting the files into wav. file format. Kronos prefers wav.files but can work with two other file types if i recall correctly.
I bet your files came from a source that was oriented towards DAW environment.
Your solution may possibly be found in a DAW environment and then worked out to be ported over to Kronos for use in Kronos system.
Maybe try looking to other forums if the solution is ultimately a topic outside of Korg Kronos system.
manishthatte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks ... Checking out the thread. Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
sf2 files is also another thing to understand.
You need to understand what they are and their compatibility, just as much as understanding how Kronos works and what it can work with.

I looked up complaints about getting sf2 files to work and found this thread with similar complaints as yours.
https://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?39225

And the replies there leaned towards software in DAW environment to work things out. Also mentions in the thread of getting the files into wav. file format. Kronos prefers wav.files but can work with two other file types if i recall correctly.
I bet your files came from a source that was oriented towards DAW environment.
Your solution may possibly be found in a DAW environment and then worked out to be ported over to Kronos for use in Kronos system.
Maybe try looking to other forums if the solution is ultimately a topic outside of Korg Kronos system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: