Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Sliding/Ascending" pitch programming help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onehandkeys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: "Sliding/Ascending" pitch programming help Reply with quote

Hi all,

For songs such as Renegade by Styx (the sliding pitch part after the solo) and Turn Me Loose by Loverboy (intro sliding pitch) I was able to program these very easily on the Triton Extreme, by telling it where the pitch should start and how fast to ascend. The Triton just soesn't seem to have that same way of doing it...I've pulled up some patches and got into the pitch area but it's not the same.

I know it's probably really easy and you are rolling your eyes reading this...but please let me know how to do this!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be more or less the same on the Kronos as you did on the Triton, with differences depending on if you are using HD-1 type programs (which is like the Triton's) or one the EXi types. Do you know which type of program you're trying to create this on? HD-1? AL-1? MS-20, etc.?

For HD-1 programs, the settings, I think, would be exactly the same as the Triton. I presume you used portamento for your glide effects? The EXis that do have portamento vary slightly in how they are implemented.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I personally don’t use glide for Turn Me Loose, but that’s just me. But to help you with your question, here’s one approach. If you’re dealing with an EX program, find the ‘pitch/common’ tab. On the lower left enable portamento (check the box) then adjust ‘time’. Set the time to your desired level and save your edit.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
First of all I personally don’t use glide for Turn Me Loose, but that’s just me.

I'd probably use the pitch envelope for simplicity and reproducibility, maybe with a switch as the AMS source... pretty basic glide up. I sometimes struggle with portamento. But anyway, would like to know how the OP programmed it on the Triton...
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Renegade, the pitch bend is a whole note. You should be able to use the ribbon as it is, since by default it's set to 02 semitones.

For Turn Me Loose, you've got a 3 octave glide. I'd just set the Ribbon to 36. It's tricky to get the motion right, but I got pretty close using the back of my left hand thumbnail. I played the high Gsus2 chord on the right hand, and started the left hand on the left side of the ribbon, and slid up slowly, letting go just before I hit center.

EXi / Osc / Pitch Common
onehandkeys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

So, on the Triton I don't use portamento but rather just have the pitch setting slide into the notes at the timing I preset. I only have one hand so using ribbon, pitch stick, etc. is not super friendly Smile

On both the Triton and Roland Fantom X, it's incredibly easy. I look at the pitch EG and change accordingly and you can see the visual of the note starting low them ramping up. On the Kronos it looks like it should be doing the same thing but the sound doesn't match the visual.

If I could find a patch already made that has this, I can edit it however I just can't find any that glide into the pitch.
onehandkeys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Falcon2e wrote:
First of all I personally don’t use glide for Turn Me Loose, but that’s just me.

I'd probably use the pitch envelope for simplicity and reproducibility, maybe with a switch as the AMS source... pretty basic glide up. I sometimes struggle with portamento. But anyway, would like to know how the OP programmed it on the Triton...

Yes, pitch envelope on the Triton...was super easy and I've played those songs a million times. But the Kronos...I may just play out with The Triton Extreme and theRoland Fantom X which are both older but I know my way around them so much better. I'm gettinmg frustrated w the Kronos!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onehandkeys wrote:
HardSync wrote:
Falcon2e wrote:

Yes, pitch envelope on the Triton...was super easy and I've played those songs a million times. But the Kronos...I may just play out with The Triton Extreme and theRoland Fantom X which are both older but I know my way around them so much better. I'm gettinmg frustrated w the Kronos!

It’s certainly your call on what gear you choose to use when playing out. I Don’t know how long you’ve owned your Kronos, but I hope you don’t give up on this fantastic keyboard.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, onehandkeys... Let's see if we can help figure this out for you.

How we get there depends on whether the program is an HD-1 type or one of the EXi types. I suspect that if things don't look similar to the Triton, then you're trying to get your glide with an EXi type of program, but I dunno.

So if the program is an HD-1, you'll go to the Program 2–2: OSC1 Pitch screen (pg 66 in the Parameter guide for reference). This should look familiar. Set your bend/slide value in the Intensity field under Pitch EG. I believe a value of 12 is an octave, depending on the envelope setting. Duplicate as necessary on the OSC2 Pitch if required. Then pop over to the Pitch EG tab and create your envelope parameters. You should be able to duplicate whatever you've done in your Triton on these two screens.

On an EXi program, you'll want to go the Pitch EG/Mod screen and make your first settings there (pg 200 in the parameter guide for reference). You can change the EG select to EG2 (Pitch) and enter your intensity value. The intensity goes up to 48.00, btw, unlike the HD1, which only goes to 12. Just FYI. Next go to the P7:EG2 (Pitch) tab (pg 217 in the guide) and make your envelope settings for the time here...

You should be good to go... I hope. It's not all that different from the Triton, just implemented a little differently on the EXi programs. Experiment with those settings until you get what you need.
onehandkeys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:

How we get there depends on whether the program is an HD-1 type or one of the EXi types. I suspect that if things don't look similar to the Triton, then you're trying to get your glide with an EXi type of program, but I dunno.

So if the program is an HD-1, you'll go to the Program 2–2: OSC1 Pitch screen (pg 66 in the Parameter guide for reference). This should look familiar. Set your bend/slide value in the Intensity field under Pitch EG. I believe a value of 12 is an octave, depending on the envelope setting. Duplicate as necessary on the OSC2 Pitch if required. Then pop over to the Pitch EG tab and create your envelope parameters. You should be able to duplicate whatever you've done in your Triton on these two screens.

On an EXi program, you'll want to go the Pitch EG/Mod screen and make your first settings there (pg 200 in the parameter guide for reference). You can change the EG select to EG2 (Pitch) and enter your intensity value. The intensity goes up to 48.00, btw, unlike the HD1, which only goes to 12. Just FYI. Next go to the P7:EG2 (Pitch) tab (pg 217 in the guide) and make your envelope settings for the time here...

You should be good to go... I hope. It's not all that different from the Triton, just implemented a little differently on the EXi programs. Experiment with those settings until you get what you need.

Thanks!!!! I will try....
onehandkeys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

onehandkeys wrote:
HardSync wrote:

Thanks!!!! I will try....

YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!! THANKS!!!!! BTW....I loved using the Kronos for this https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hear-jeff-scott-sotos-haunting-piano-and-voice-cover-version-of-audioslaves-like-a-stone/
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Glad you got it working. :)
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

onehandkeys wrote:
BTW....I loved using the Kronos for this https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hear-jeff-scott-sotos-haunting-piano-and-voice-cover-version-of-audioslaves-like-a-stone/

That's a truly beautiful rendition of Like a Stone. Well done to you both, Todd. :)
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, heartfelt rendition, on both vocals as well as Kronos... those cellos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: