Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foot Controller question 2nd time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Foot Controller question 2nd time Reply with quote

I don’t know if I properly worded the question in my previous post regarding my foot controller issue, because I got zero feedback from it, so please indulge me asking it again, hopefully this time making my question a little clearer.

Is there a way to override the Global Mode setting in which I have my foot controller set to MIDI CC#11 in a Program or a Combi so I can assign the pedal to control an effect such as a wah wah pedal would work?

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Thx
Mark
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, short answer is no.

In GLOBAL mode, whatever you set the foot pedal to send out, it will send out. Set it to CC# 11, and the foot pedal sends out expression control.

But if you set it to CC# 04, then it sends out "foot pedal controller" commands, which by itself does nothing. When you want to control wah with the pedal, then you set the relevant FX parameter to respond to CC #04, which will then make the wah be controlled by your foot.

Of course, you will lose the foot pedal functioning as a general purpose expression control.

I'm guessing you already knew that. Some MIDI gear allows you to set the function of the foot pedal directly within a patch. Different patches can have the foot pedal assigned differently, and so you can customize the foot pedal for each patch. The Kronos has the foot pedal controlled globally. There is no separate dedicated hardware foot pedal assign function in programs or FX.
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming that I wasn't going crazy!
Mark
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just for my 4th grade edification, if I set foot pedal control to CC#004 in Global Mode, I'll of course lose the Expression CC# on everything. So, will I need to set any destination to CC#11 should want to use the foot controller for that purpose?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a PC near your Kronos, you could easily program what you want for pedals using the MIDI-OX freeware. Using its data map utility you can change any MIDI CC number coming as an input into something else as an output. You can even program totally different MIDI translations by patch number, etc.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC 11 and CC 7 control expression and volume, meaning both affect how loud the sound is, with CC 7 having the bigger effect on how loud. But I don't believe any program or FX parameter has CC11 or CC7 as its source -- volume level is meant as a 'global' destination, not an individual source or destination.

To achieve foot pedal control of a sound's volume without going through a PC as KK suggests, you can use the effect Stereo Dyna Compressor. This effect controls how loud a sound is, so by putting this effect on an instrument and then controlling the FX's output level, you successfully control how loud the instrument is.

For example, let's say you have a combi where you want to use the foot pedal to swell the strings and brass in and out at the same time. Go to the IFX/Routing page and set the strings and brass to IFX 1. Then go to the Insert FX tab and assign IFX 1 to the Stereo Dyna Comp. Go to the Insert FX 1-12 tab, choose FX1, and set the Dyna Comp's Output Level to something like 15 (experiment to find what your max level is and then set the FX to that level). Then set the AMS Source for the Output Level to Foot pedal (CC4), and its Amount to -15 (again, experiment to find your desired level of volume reduction).

Now, when you move the foot pedal (which is assigned to CC4) down, the FX Output Level (aka volume) will go down by the amount you move your foot. Since both strings and brass have the IFX1 Dyna Comp on them, and the Comp's output level is controlled by CC4, moving your foot pedal controls both string and brass volume at the same time. This is similar to using Expression CC11, but this way you control 1 or more sounds at a time.

In another program where you have a Wah FX on a guitar sound, that same foot pedal can control the wah and not the volume. Just put a Wah FX on the guitar sound, and assign CC4 to the relevant wah parameters.

In a similar way, you can assign multiple FX to be affected by one foot pedal CC4. There are even synth parameters (filter amount, osc level, pan) that can be controlled by CC4. Using these creatively, you can get virtually the same thing as Montage's "super knob". One foot pedal to rule them all.

===============================

Here's all the above in shorthand:

GLOBAL mode: foot controller = CC4

Program/Combi mode:
Foot pedal => CC4 => Dyna Comp Output Level => Timbre 2 and 3, strings and brass /// foot pedal volume control of strings and brass together

Different program/combi:
Foot pedal => CC4 => IFX wah => Timbre 1 electric guitar /// wah wah effect

HTH
Nailmusic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
To achieve foot pedal control of a sound's volume without going through a PC as KK suggests, you can use the effect Stereo Dyna Compressor. This effect controls how loud a sound is, so by putting this effect on an instrument and then controlling the FX's output level, you successfully control how loud the instrument is.

HTH

This is precisely what I was looking for. Some programmable guitar fix units ( Line 6 for example) have a software fx module called a ‘volume pedal’, and this FX block can be placed anywhere in the chain. It seems like this will accomplish the same thing.
H: Moog/Sequential/Korg/Roland/Nord
S: Ableton/Native instruments/Arturia
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about using the Dyna Compressor is that you can assign multiple timbres to it.

For example, you could set timbre 6 and timbre 7 both to a single Dyna Comp. Then you set the Output level to +25, triggered by SW1. This way you can boost 2 or more instruments all at the same time, such as having a solo boost for your stacked leads.

Better yet, you can use a 2nd Dyna Comp assigned to a few instruments, but on this one you set SW1 to reduce or mute the levels instead of boost. Used creatively, you're basically switching groups of instruments on/off with a single SW1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: