Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

001 Stereo Dyna Compressor VS 002 Stero Compressor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: 001 Stereo Dyna Compressor VS 002 Stero Compressor Reply with quote

Hello,

I gave a look at Kronos Compressor effects and here is my question :

As 002 Stereo Compressor includes all the parameters of 001 Stereo Dyna Compressor, and many others, I wonder what could be the interest of the 001 ? Does it get some caracteristics that the 002 don't ? (Personnally, I diodn't hear any audio differences)

Thanks.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might depend on the instrument/program you are using.

Test both using a Kronos bass guitar program.

With headphones.

I use compression on many of my songs. I will have
more time tomorrow to test my recollection.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles did two videos on these... maybe the vids can provide some insight as to the differences?

https://youtu.be/KGIw8x-1L9Q - Stereo Dynamic Compressor

https://youtu.be/vLZwrvC4aTs - Stereo Compressor

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Charles did two videos on these... maybe the vids can provide some insight as to the differences?

Yes I know these videos. But Charles speaks of another point : lag time.
That's not exactly what I'm speaking about : I just want to know what is the interest of getting 2 compressors effects while the 002 Stereo Compressor would do the same job.
So, I asked what could be the interest (other than the point of lag) of choosing the 001 rather than the 002 ?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

002 Dyna Compressor is better suited for drums, and the guitars.
And yes there is audiable LAG TIME ( We heard that over and over again, the culprit is underpowered CPU, I guess ), so I have no use whatsoever.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Liviou. I didn't have time to watch the videos, so I didn't know what Charles covered in them. I had hoped they would help.

I don't have an actual answer to your question, but perhaps that the Stereo Dyna Compressor uses more Effect CPU resources than the simplified Stereo Compressor does, so that might be one reason to include one that uses fewer resources on the CPU. But I really don't know...
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but there are some significant differences between the two types. They probably are modeled after different physical compressors, and so have different response characteristics. From what I understand --

The Stereo Comp has your typical advanced compressor settings - ratio, threshold, knee, lookahead. The sidechain options are thorough as well, where you can get that classic techno kick and bass pumping action. This more detailed compressor in the right hands should deliver better control over the final shape and volume output of your sound source. The final Gain Adjust is used more to correct or make up for the volume lost with your other settings.

But, in more inexperienced hands, like mine, it is easy to dial in settings that may be more detrimental to the sound. This is the more pro compressor.

On the other hand, the Dyna Comp simplifies the ratio and other settings. Sensitivity is like a sort of automatic ratio/threshold setting. This compressor only makes more subtle adjustments, and its primary role is to adjust the overall volume of your sound. At least that's how I use it -- as just a basic volume adjuster. I believe it's based off of guitar pedal compressor pedals to just provide easy dialing in of body, boost, and sustain. Its final Output stage is there just to make things louder or quieter with one broad gesture, after Sensitivity just broadly squashes transients.

And the Kronos Stereo Multiband Compressor is yet another tool with a different purpose. It's used more as a glorified EQ with dynamic response over 4 different frequency "zones". Its best use is in the overall mix.

Like I said, I'm no expert and don't even record in a DAW, but this is what I've gathered from lurking on recording sites and videos.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
And yes there is audiable LAG TIME ( We heard that over and over again, the culprit is underpowered CPU, I guess ), so I have no use whatsoever.

No, an "underpowered" cpu will not inherently cause latency. It's much more likely to be due to the algorithm itself.

You do seem to make a lot of stuff up without much technical justification. Can you explain how, if it's due to the CPU being underpowered, that it can keep up with a constant stream of data?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:

No, an "underpowered" cpu will not inherently cause latency. It's much more likely to be due to the algorithm itself.

You do seem to make a lot of stuff up without much technical justification. Can you explain how, if it's due to the CPU being underpowered, that it can keep up with a constant stream of data?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
...You do seem to make a lot of stuff up without much technical justification. Can you explain how...

Didn’t I say - I guess. ( = Without sufficient information I cannot be be sure of being correct )
So please don’t tell me I make a lot of stuff, it was a guess, nothing more.

However my guess have some merits.
Korg designing algorithms had to be resourceful, knowing there is only Atom CPU at their disposal.
As a result the algorithm could suffer because of that.
This type of algorithms if they lack dedicated hardware are tricky to implement. On computers are always hungry for CORES, the more the better.
Again it’s my guess.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
I wonder what could be the interest of the 001 ?
Simply economy - which can be critical in complex combis, etc. Looking at the Perf Meters tab, a single 001 comp CPU usage oscillates up to 1%, whereas a single 002 comp CPU usage oscillates up to 4%. I try to choose the minimal effects needed for each program I create. Note that effects just set to off continue to draw CPU resources. If you don't need them, instead select 000 No effect.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
I wonder what could be the interest of the 001 ?
Simply economy - which can be critical in complex combis, etc. Looking at the Perf Meters tab, a single 001 comp CPU usage oscillates up to 1%, whereas a single 002 comp CPU usage oscillates up to 4%. I try to choose the minimal effects needed for each program I create. Note that effects just set to off continue to draw CPU resources. If you don't need them, instead select 000 No effect.

I don't think I've ever managed to max out the effects CPU, but maybe I just haven't been trying hard enough!

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I think the CPU ressources point is quite easy to undestand for me.
I'm not sure I would be able to point out an audio difference between the both !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: