Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serious problem with PA 1000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelitto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a OS bug and happens with latest OS for pa1000(1.3.1) and pa700(1.4.0). On both keyboards i edited diferent styles and after i reselect them, or after keyboard reboot, the tracks volume and efects, changed and the styles sounds very bad. This happens a lot after i saved a STS, on that style, or after i saved the style from Style Edit.
On pa1000 i downgrade the OS to 1.2.0 and the bug its gone. On pa700 i didnt downgrade yet, but i think i will cos this is really weird.
I tried to reproduce the bug, and filming it, but I did not succeed. The bug apears randomly.
Now im testing too see if the bugged styles, have controllers inserted on tracks. And yes, they have. I saw some controlers. Ctr 11(expression) and ctrl 64 (dumper) on 2 tracks, used by accordion and cimbalom.
I delete all of them, and now i will see if the bug apears again. If not, it means that those controllers are to blame and some how the new OS, change in a bad way, styles that have controllers inserted on them.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi angelitto,

Thanks for posting your report and that assures me I am not the only one who has problem with Pa1000.
I was just wondering if my keyboard is not defective and wanted to take a decision before the warranty expires.
If this is a bug with Pa1000 OS 1.3.1, do you think Is it a good idea to downgrade to previous version, if it's stable?

Thanks
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious problem with PA 1000 Reply with quote

BR wrote:
This is about Pa1000, os v 1.3.1

I have some saved styles with their setup and they sound and play correctly.
They are of course saved with their setup but after rebooting the keyboard, some setup (for example; Tempo, Master Effects and Style Tracks Volume) of some saved styles change and they do not sound correctly.

I noticed this is happening every time with different style.

If none of your Sounds or DKs
- in Styletracks of User01.sty - User12.sty
- in Pads#1-4 of User-Styles
- in KbdSets#1-4 of your User-Styles
- in KbdSets of User01.prf - User09.prf
- in Pads of User01.pad - User10.pad
is using PCGs from User01.pcg - User04.pcg and UserDK01.pcg - UserDK02.pcg
- you will not get that serious problems with Pa1000.

That also means all of Styletracks, Pads and KbdSets of your User-Data must have entered a valid sound linked to a factory sound.
If all entries of sounds and dks are linked to valid existing pcgs, you also will not get that serious problems.
If there would be one corrupt entry in these data that maybe linked to a corrupt pcg-locations, then you get that serious problems you mentioned. Most of converted styles are contaminated with corruptions of pcg-user-data that or links to user-pcgs that do not find valid data on that user-location, or do not find valid multisamples / pcms.

As rule Anthony meant: do not edit or create Pa-folders externally in computers, only copy single files.
Using Win PC to edit folders (like working with Pa-Manager) they have attributes and meta data that are not recognized by Linux !
---> ARIPEARLMUSIC http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119133&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25
If there are User-Sounds in your Set, the problem is the same as often discussed in the Pa4x forum and much more extensive to describe what has to be considered (merging sounds).
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=9
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=57
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119604&highlight=format

As I can see in your postings you yourself favor loading corrupt data whose pcg locations could be invalid and is necessary to be inserted manually be valid sounds.
Using Pa-Manager to merge sets, to delete missing samples with "no Ref" and write such a Set to an USB flash, to be loaded into an empty Pa1000 rather is the guarantee to provoke a system crash, even if it seems to appear loading would be successfully without any error.

BR wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:

Rule : do not edit or create Pa folders externally in computers , only copy single files

The only external program I use is the Korg Pa Manager on my new laptop Windows 10.
I use KPM only for merging sets and deleting "no Ref" missing samples.
I cleaned up my set from some "no Ref" missing samples and it's now clean and then saved it on a USB flash drive.
I loaded successfully this set in my completely empty Pa 1000 (no samples, no styles, etc...) without any error message ...

Hope same for Pa1000 as Anthony meant: As in Pa4x next OS , maybe a future OS update will prevent from loading such resources with "no Pa file" indication.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de

Last edited by siebenhirter on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious problem with PA 1000 Reply with quote

@siebenhirter,
Thanks for your reply.

JFYI, I do not have sound location problem with my set.
My problem as I mentioned previously is that Tempo, Master Effects and Style Tracks Volume of some styles change randomly after few hours playing correctly.
This happened also with a Factory style that I copied in User location.
Beside that, the same set works without any problem in Pa4X.
Thanks
angelitto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@siebenhirter,
like i said before, its an OS bug, not an User bug.
Why these things do not happen with OS 1.2.0 or even 1.1.0?
All these problems appeared after the operating system was divided into 2 files: UPD and PKG. And that was when 1.3.1 for pa1000 and 1.4.0 for pa700 have been launched.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 freezing Reply with quote

angelitto wrote:
... like i said before, its an OS bug, not an User bug ..

.. I did not say it is a user bug - maybe it is an OS bug.
But as long as the error is not concretely reproducible and only occurs with differently changed data one can not assert that with certainty as OS bug.
Without reproducible OS-bug therefore it should be checked what data are used when keyboard is freezing.
Also it should be checked if at some point data was loaded that caused obstinately corruption of the internal disk.
However, it is known that errors are caused by loading folders that are not from the Pa-keyboard (with its Linux-OS), but created and made on the PC (SW like Pa-manager).
However, it seems that only a handful of people realize that the use of such corrupted data also doe not have to disappear from the internal disk when rebuilding the OS (because existing enabled/disabled flags this requires formatting with un-protect internal disk!) --->
BR wrote:
... tried to Format my internal Disk in Pa1000 in Utility Mode just to follow up the troubleshooting regarding my issue that I explained in the sticky report. After formatting I noticed nothing is deleted, for example my saved set .......

Also it is known, that before "Bug fixes in OS 1.3.1 of Pa1000" when overwriting an existing sample, other samples in memory could be damaged.
Using sets made with such damaged samples also cause errors.
Microsoft warned all Windows (Windows10) users that they should not create, edit or modify Linux files on Windows:
"DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, create and/or modify Linux files using Windows apps, tools, scripts, consoles, etc."
The reason for this is that file metadata is handled differently on Linux than it is on Windows - Linux file's metadata are not calculated and do not persist in NTFS extended attributes of Windows.
Creating or changing Linux files from Windows may result in data corruption or even a damaged Linux system requiring you to uninstall & reinstall your OS.
angelitto wrote:
... problems appeared after the operating system was divided into 2 files: UPD and PKG. And that was when 1.3.1 for pa1000 and 1.4.0 for pa700 have been launched...

Nevertheless, I recommend a review of the resources used, especially if for the compilation of sets the Pa manager was used or if you tried to merge user samples from different sets, or if the loaded sets are not from the same keyboard type .......

If you re-install an OS also formatting of the internal disk I recommend. Do this with removed protection of internal disk (Global > Mode Preferences > Protect > Media, Factory unselect) . After internal disk is formatted use the Factory Restore procedure (Media > Utility page).
Now do not load any of your Sets but really only try to play with factory resources. Now if you change a factory style and try to write as user-style, this user style should work, should be possible to be save as Set and also shoul be possible to be loaded as Set without an error (except this set was edited on the windows-pc in between).
Due to the pre-configured type of data inside the instrument’s memory KORG often warnes to preserve structure integrity with SET folders, because Data inside Pa1000 is slightly more rigidly structured than data in a computer.
To preserve data structure integrity do not LOAD a Set made / changed with PC and also do NOT LOAD FOLDERS from such Sets (Global, Pad, Perform, Sound, Style are folders, not items). After you OPEN a Set and also OPEN a Folder and then LOAD SINGLE ITEMS like: user1--4.pcg, userdk1--2.pcg, user01--09.prf, user01--12.sty, user01--10.pad.
This procedure is like "Loading data from i-Series instruments" and since no reliable conversion seems to be made with PC-software, at this point it is necessary to go to style play mode, to select each style for adjusting its parameters of style settings (eg user-sounds, als of kbdset#1-4) and write its "current style settings". Furthermore it is necessary to adjust and rewrite the keyboard-Sets if containing user-sounds.
Maybe there will be an Pa1000-OS-bug - the question remains whether a solution is found to detect and deny loading corrupted data.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no such issue with the Pa1000 or 700 running the latest OS using sounds and kits that i made on the 4x and converted with the pa manager for those machines. I believe they have corrected the issue in the latest PA Manager version 3.3. None of the custom styles loaded on either machine are improperly mapped and there are no program changes or control changes loaded into the styles from midis that haven't been checked for compatibility. None of the sounds or styles besides the ones i loaded are converted from older machines and there are no loops in the sets ive tested. That covers any of the stupidity causes. Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aripearlmusic wrote:
I've had no such issue with the Pa1000 or 700 running the latest OS using sounds and kits that i made on the 4x and converted with the pa manager for those machines. I believe they have corrected the issue in the latest PA Manager version 3.3. None of the custom styles loaded on either machine are improperly mapped and there are no program changes or control changes loaded into the styles from midis that haven't been checked for compatibility. None of the sounds or styles besides the ones i loaded are converted from older machines and there are no loops in the sets ive tested. That covers any of the stupidity causes. Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance.

I did the same converting a set from Pa4X for my Pa1000 through Korg Pa Manager.

I am really frustrated by the problem that I have with Pa1000 and contacted Korg and explained my issue 3 months ago,
also I've sent my set for examination, but so far no info or clarification from them.
I told them that I need to know if there is any issue with my set causing the problem or if there is something wrong with my Pa1000.
I insisted that I need an reliable answer before my warranty expires in case there is any hardware problem with my Pa1000.
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you make all your beats from scratch on the keyboard without using loops or midi files?
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aripearlmusic wrote:
did you make all your beats from scratch on the keyboard without using loops or midi files?

No, I did not.
I bought this set from a pro. The set has samples.
We tested the set in his Pa4X and it works/plays correctly.
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is such a pro he will know why it isn't working on the 1000. I would inquire further about the samples to see if he really knows his stuff or is just trying to sell you the free BS stuff circling around online like I've heard about too often. Pick sounds at random and ask him to show you why he did each setting in the various pages of sound mode and then have him set up a delay without using any of the delay effects. See how that turns out.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the process of elimination can you get your "pro SET-supplier" to take a full backup (BKP) of his PA1000 for you to load on yours?

Then you can truly compare apples with apples - this would be my next step and would put my mind at rest
If you have an IDENTICAL BKP and SET loaded on both PA1000s then you have a valuable starting point - if you still have a problem then I would be considering a full engineering diagnosis of your PA1000.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aripearlmusic wrote:
Quote:
If he is such a pro he will know why it isn't working on the 1000. I would inquire further about the samples to see if he really knows his stuff or is just trying to sell you the free BS stuff circling around online like I've heard about too often. Pick sounds at random and ask him to show you why he did each setting in the various pages of sound mode and then have him set up a delay without using any of the delay effects. See how that turns out.

I know personally the guy who sold me the set, I went to his house and we tried the set in his Pa4X and it worked fine, he does not have the Pa1000.
He used the Korg Pa Manager v 3.3 to convert the set from Pa4X to Pa1000.

If anybody wants to help to solve or clarify this issue with Pa1000, please read below my detailed report and troubleshooting that I've done so far to solve this problem.
If you can not help Please do not accuse people without any reliable, solid and logical reason.

FYI, I've already sent my set to Paolo@korg 3 months ago for examination and I didn't get so far any news.

I got some suggestions from one of the member here (really appreciated) in order to solve the issue, I just copy/paste it here to show what I've done so far:

How to clean up the Internal Memory of Pa1000

FIRST STEP:
Install OS - try to clean internal memory (okay, too clean KORG DISK)
After you re-installed an OS, there would be no corrupt date section in internal memory.
But maybe there are files with Meta-Events on your KORG DISK, which can not even be deleted with a format command of utilities.
That happens because you probably had transferred files externally in PC / Mac and files have affected by computer OS policies and attributes !
As recommended from Anthony select un-protect file (normally also all folder contents) and then delete them from your internal Disk also to get a clean KORG DISK.
As a rule do not edit or create Pa-folders externally in computers, only copy single files.
To be sure that the internal memory is empty you can try deleting all the multisamples, deleting all drum samples and deleting all samples
Page 475: This operation completely resets the RAM, and may be used to clean-up any trouble with memory management.
Page 913: Delete musical data - remove protection by unchecking the Protect > Factory parameter in the Global > Mode Preferences > Media page and delete all items.
Then check the Protect > Factory parameter in the Global > Mode Preferences > Media page.

Now internal memory reliable should be empty.
My report about First step:
Beside deleting all user styles and the Samples/Multisamples/DRKit in RAM memory,
I deleted all Styles, Sounds and Keyboard Set Library from Factory/Legacy/GM, all categories (ex; Piano, Strings , Brass, etc...), completely empty keyboard.

SECOND STEP: FACTORY RESTORE

After having loaded the operating system using the Media > Utility > Factory Restore command will update the musical resources,
that are loaded with the operating system, but must be updated using this command.
Now you should have a clean system with factory settings.

My report about Second step:
Done successfully.

THIRD STEP: LOAD DATA FROM YOUR SET (not from bkp-file)
Now do not load data from SET of PC, but copy the whole set from your PC to your Korg Disk.
Only use procedures of Pa1000 to process data between KORG DISK and internal memory.
Don't know what you meant with ".. in Sample Mode (hitting the Sound mode + Record) I see the "no ref" samples but impossible to highlight and delete them in Pa1000".
Never should be possible to proceed data transactions from PC to internal memory of Pa1000!!!
Only use load procedures of Pa1000, but do not load the whole Set.

Independently of your Set maybe made wiht 3rd-party-software or not, the only way you can see and explore where would be
major errors or damaged data of your SET is opening your SET and LOAD
partially all Banks of all kind of resources.

Begin with User01.pcg .... User04.pc and then UserDk01.pcg and UserDk02.pcg.
This will load your user sounds and will write Multisamples and Samples into memory.
Now LOAD rest of resources, but DO NOT LOAD MULTISAMPLES, DO NOT LOAD PCM - because again you will damage internal memory with them.

Now each time an error occurs you should get an error message to know, what is wrong with your data.
If you are ready with loading you could try to start deleting all the unassigned samples (option "Not assigned to any Multisample/Drumkit").

My report about Third step:

I connected my Pa1000 directly to my PC through USB cable (Media > USB ) and clicked/dragged my set (my set is save All, I do not have bkp file) to Korg Disk.
I unplugged my Pa1000 from PC, removed the USB cable.
I opened my set in Pa1000,. Load > Open
I began loading with User01.pcg until User04.pcg and then UserDk01.pcg and UserDk02.pcg.
I loaded rest of my resources, but did not LOAD MULTISAMPLES and PCM.
I did deleting all the unassigned samples (option "Not assigned to any Multisample/Drumkit").

I did not get any error messages during loading my resources independently as described above.
I got only 5 warnings when loading for all Users.pcg (1,2,3) and UsersDK.pcg (1,2) except User04.pcg, (did not get any error message with User04.pcg).

Korg-Pa1000-warning

After finishing all steps I tried to play and freeze the keyboard like before, but it did not happened, which was good, I was happy.
I played about two hours all user styles and factory styles, everything worked perfectly , all users styles and user keyboard set played correctly, no problem.

Next day: I tried everything with my Pa1000, for example playing User Styles, editing styles, keyboard set, master effect , Insert effect without any problem for about 3 hours.

Everything was ok until yesterday night when I was doing the same routing things, playing about more than 2 hours, suddenly one of the user style changed its Tempo, Master Effects and Style Volume Track.

Thank you

Last edited by BR on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That error when loading sounds is quite common because many programmers dont get rid of their garbage so it could be a random sound that is missing a multisample or a multisample that is missing a sample or sample that only partially loaded. Have the programmer check all the multisamples to make sure they have the assigned samples they need and check the sounds for any missing multis.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Do not use incomplete Reply with quote

BR wrote:
... Everything was ok until yesterday night when I was doing the same routing things, playing about more than 2 hours, suddenly one of the user style changed its Tempo, Master Effects and Style Volume Track...

Please do not use incomplete user-sounds (sent you a pm).
Delete sound-banks with incomplete user-sounds from your internal disk.
Open sound-banks with incomplete user-sound and load each sound (single item) separately, to get a warning specially for this single sound.
Do not load such incomplete single sounds (erase them from internal disk).
Missing links / pointers within sound-structur (to multisamples, samples) cause errors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: