Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Style for Great Is Thy Faithfulness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Style for Great Is Thy Faithfulness Reply with quote

What is the fasted way to find a style with 3/4 time signature? Searching by name only brings up those have 3/4 in the name. Soundbook entry doesn’t show all 3/4 style either, seems like.

Also, can any of you guru suggest a good style for this contemporary cover of Great Is Thy Faithfulness? Thank you!

Here is the link of the cover: https://youtu.be/2eQ1oal44wU

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
gwc uk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FreeStyle could be used here.
Need to get Korg a produce a few FreeStyles as per Yamaha.
taichi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just "Search" and type in 3/4 and results appear. Or say type in 12/8 which gives a lovely 12/8 ballad that I use for "Hallelujah". (I adjust the volume of the voices and the balance knob, its great).

That's a lovely song you mentioned, will try and get music and play around with some styles.

Just one note, I am assuming "search" on the 700 is the same as my 1000 and 4x ??

Dylan
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did that song a couple of weeks ago for worship Smile

I used a piano sound with strings and played it traditionally for the congregation.

I did do a version of that song for an album I wrote the soundbeds for, about 6 years ago. I did it in 4/4 instead of 3/4 and used classical guitar for the main sound.

You could search for waltzes; there is a tab in the Factory styles for Waltzes - there might be something in there that might work for you. You could also search for a 12/8 style and that would also work, as listed in another reply from another post.

The 3/4 style may be a bit more traditional in nature and the 12/8 might give you a more bluesy/gospel type sound. Something in 6/8 could also be a possibility...

Depending on how contemporary you wish to go, the Bluesy/Gospel might really work. You could also try a ballad in 4/4 and see how it fits in that structure. Just about anything can fit into anything else, no matter the tempo or time signature. You just have to find the groove and the flow in the right style.

An example would be with Amazing Grace. I have three different ways that I can currently play the song:

1. Traditionally, using a piano/string combination. I do not have any examples of this on the web anywhere, but it is straight from the hymnal and I play piano/strings during all verses.

2. Classical Guitar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCP41ujZiIU - I play the song this way at the nursing homes in an instrumental format. I also use this version when I am playing at church during softer portions of the service.

3. I also do a Gospel version of this with a custom lead guitar patch I made. Imagine if a rock guitarist walked into a southern Baptist church and played Amazing Grace with a guitar lead over a full Gospel band and Choir. That is what this version would be. Unfortunately, I do not have my recording of this on YouTube yet. In fact, I just recorded it yesterday while playing at a nursing home. I will try to post it in Google Drive when I get home from playing today. I have 5 performances out of town and will not be back until tonight.

Grace,
Harry

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you all for replying to my post. This forum is great!

We did this song in traditional style before, so I would like to a more contemporary style this time, something similar to the youtube link I posted. I will try the 12/8, or 6/8 styles to see how they feel. That brings up another question, if I like a style in 4/4, can I edit and change that style to 3/4? Will all the styles components change to 3/4 automatically and still sound right? If this can be done, then it will open up a whole lot of possibilities.

I am not professionally trained, I self-taught how to play chords and how to use Korg PA700. So all I do now is to play chords left hand and sing. I know this limits myself quite a lot too.

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: report back Reply with quote

Just want to report back to the forum that I ended up using a 6/4 style for the song, and I think it works out pretty good.Cheers!

PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use English Waltz with string sounds. Gorgeous!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There are some awesome free styles on the PA4X - not sure if they will work on the PA1000 but could be worth a try.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use English Waltz with string sounds. Gorgeous!
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:

There are some awesome free styles on the PA4X - not sure if they will work on the PA1000 but could be worth a try.

Pete Very Happy

Do you mind sharing the names of those freestyles on PA4X? Thank you!

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done 'Great is Thy Faithfulness' many different ways over the years. I even arranged it on an album for a guy who travels the country singing the songs I arranged for him. That song is one of them.

I found that the best way to do that song with a Classical Guitar patch with some light strings underneath. It allows you to control the tempo yourself and still get a great sound.

I always thought that song was a tender one - very similar to Amazing Grace for me...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bonusware Styles have the freeplay styles I think its Volume 32.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: