Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Humming" noise coming out of my monitors on outpu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: "Humming" noise coming out of my monitors on outpu Reply with quote

Hello. I got a Kronos2 61, and everything worked fine until today. I had a gig yesterday tho. So, i tested my cables to see if they are okay, and they are. The monitors are okay as well. So the problem occurs only when i connect the monitor to L and R output (which i used on the gig), a humming noise appears (like shhhhh) and it doesn't stop.
I believe the problem is maybe in the outputs themselves. Anyone had this problem before?
[/img][/u]
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the same issue with headphones? I would still suspect bad cables or a possible ground loop associated with a grounding problem. Florissant Lights have been known to create problems too.
Purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn down the mic/line level knobs at the back of your kronos to zero, there are two inputs at the back do both to zero.

Easy test is go to sequencer mode (follow instructions below) and listen for it if it is there then the knobs have been turned up. Make sure to raise the gain/volume up on keyboard to high then it is easily heard.

Steps to test if the inputs 1/2 is doing it:-

1- sequencer mode.
2- click audio tab.
3- select a audio track 1-16 any.
4- you will hear a hiss/humm if the audio inputs 1/2 is turned up.
5- Turn down to lowest on inputs 1/2 at back of the kronos the two dials.
6- No hiss or humm but remember to turn them up if you need them with a line device or mic or you will end up with no sound and pulling your hair out again wondering if the input settings are wrong or the inputs are broken.

Edited to make it more clear for people that google this issue, seems to come up a lot recently on many forums and social media pages.

Last edited by Purgatory on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
bazic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved. It was the mic/line knobs in the back.. I just don't understand why they would make be making this humming, but good thing is nothing is broken..
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically the switches that switch between the line and mic modes get pushed during a move. The mic mode is very high gain and with the level controls turned up, you will get hiss. This has happened to me and the first time it was a mystery.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazic wrote:
Problem solved. It was the mic/line knobs in the back.. I just don't understand why they would make be making this humming, but good thing is nothing is broken..

Each playing mode has the sampling page, program, combi and sequencer.
Which means the audio inputs stream sound in and out with whatever else you are playing.
You can look at the “Audio In/ Sampling” tab page to see the “Audio In” setup there. That is where the rear panel audio inputs channel their signal.
You may be able to shut the channels off and block even the hiss that comes with the attenuators at full signal throttle.
But the hiss you hear, and i assume you hear it with cables not inserted, is a good thing in terms of the signal sensitivity you want to have when sampling.
I get hisses and other sounds with cables inserted to the Kronos Audio inputs but the other ends of the cables lay on the floor and pick up interference from the floor, and that is with the line levels set to reasonable levels.

Audio input always channels through sampling page and sampling page is always running through every and any play mode you have on Kronos.
The hiss would come through just like any sound signal would, as long as you have the paths open wide enough for it. Closing the path is on the rear panel like you already did, but also in the “Audio In/Sampling” tab page you have the audio input mixer or channeling setup for sound control before it goes to outputs.
You can channel it through FX or a number of option on that tab page...
Or turn every channeling option to off.
bazic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I went to "Audio In/Sampling" page and played around with it a little bit. So when I turn up the knobs on the back, there is hiss again, so i disable "Use Global Setting" on the page I mentioned, and the hiss goes away even though my knobs on the back are turned all the way up. The hiss comes back after I select L/R, IFX1 or IFX2 in the "Bus Select" column. I don't really know why this is happening when I select these, because when I keep everything on off, there is no hiss and the sound is coming out well.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazic wrote:
Okay, so I went to "Audio In/Sampling" page and played around with it a little bit. So when I turn up the knobs on the back, there is hiss again, so i disable "Use Global Setting" on the page I mentioned, and the hiss goes away even though my knobs on the back are turned all the way up. The hiss comes back after I select L/R, IFX1 or IFX2 in the "Bus Select" column. I don't really know why this is happening when I select these, because when I keep everything on off, there is no hiss and the sound is coming out well.

Bus select means you select for the input sound to come out through L/R direct or via IFX.
So bus select turns the sound off or turns it on through L/R direct or via IFX.

So you have turned the sound on at bus select, you hear the sound from source, which is the rear panel audio inputs.

What is happening is perfectly normal and you have learned how to manage it in the two ways Kronos has. The rear panel input Knobs and the audio page mixer.
Try using the channel volume sliders on screen of “Audio in/Sampling” page.
Maybe turne those down also. But mainly it is normal to never have the rear knobs turned to maximum at audio input.
Maybe you also have Main Volume at a high setting?

The hissing at max inout gain is nothing wrong and means sensitive input contacts with good pickup. Full volume at input and output is never normal in sound mixing, and the reason is because of hissing and breaking up of the intended signal.

At least now you know how to manage it. There is a switch on the rear panel, for line mic and regular line at the audio inputs.
The switch setting changes the audio pickup sensitivity. The switch moves left and right.
I think mic setting is the sensitive one and may be the one picking up the hissing signal. It does not have Phantom power for mics and that means it has very receptive plug contacts for picking up mic signals that would be needed for good quality samples.
Kronos does good quality samples and that starts with picking up the audio signal with sensitivity to the slightest parts of the signal.
Such a system would naturally pick up interference when turned up to peak input settings on an open input.
You can always use SPDIF or USB for audio input, if you set up audio page to do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: