Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading sounds to Volca FM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raddy1959

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Downloading sounds to Volca FM Reply with quote

Just reading about the FM.
There is a lot of discussion about loading FX7 "patches" (which I guess are sounds?)
One video suggested as a first step downloading Dexed?
Just a few questions:
1. Could I use Ableton instead of Dexed?
2. Would I need a USB/Midi cable to physically load the data, or could I use the audio sockets?
3. Are the FX7 "patches" expensive?

A step by step guide, including cabling, would be a real plus.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. Probably you can use Ableton + some plugin as well to download patches (=sounds), I'm not an expert on this.
The Volca FM is designed after the legendary Yamaha DX7. It has almost exactly the same sound engine. That makes that orignal DX7 patches (the parameter settings of the sound engine to create the particular sound) can be transferred to the Volca FM.
Dexed is a software implementation of the DX7 and can load the orignal DX7 patches as well. The nice thing is that it has visual representation (GUI) of the parameters for the patch and allows editing them and hear the effect. It can also forward a patch as a MIDI message to the Volca FM. Basically, the Volca FM implements the DX7 sysex MIDI messages protocol. It acts as a DX7. So combining dexed with the Volca is the ideal duo to download and edit existing DX7 patches towards the Volca FM.

2. You'll need a USB/MIDI cable to download new patches to the Volca FM. Audio sockets are for audio, not for sound engine parameters.

3. No they are not. Google then and you'll find lots of free DX7 patches.

A step by step guide is beyond my scope. Browse the net and study some manuals and documents. You can find also the manual of the DX7 explaining you the sound engine (FM Synthesis) that is applicable as well for the Volca FM.

Have fun!
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't hesitate: use Dexed.
very easy, instant transfer, and you can use it as a librarian once you figure it out. the Dexed site has a zip with thousands of patches, that you can unpack into the Dexed library folder, and you can make your own compilation banks of your favourites.

some (minor) provisos though:
-the Volca does not handle the DX7 checksum correctly (on a patch/preset): it interprets it as 'operator on/off' for the 6 operators, so you have to switch them all back on manually after transfer, as they end up in semi-random on/off position.
-LFO amount is not correctly implemented in the Korg factory firmware. it is scaled too high.

these are both dealt with in a third party firmware by a guy called pajen, which is still in beta development. it also adds velocity and extra midiCC options. i've got it on mine, as a tester, and it's really good. so it's worth waiting for the 'official' release of that. it's a major improvement of the volcaFM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: