Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa1000 Acoustic & Nylon Guitars required Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always happy to receive thoughts and advice, even after making a living playing arrangers since they were invented! I try to learn something new every day.
I agree that most barely touch the capabilities of what we have.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 Acoustic & Nylon Guitars required Reply with quote

Hello DonM,

sorry about my posting - unfortunately, too late, I noticed that I had answered an old OP, of which I only read the first two posts.

My opinion regarding the sound quality of the factory samples anyway has not changed in the meantime.

On my opinion factory Acoustic Guitars of Pa-Keyboard not are poor. If someone believe that it is a solution to download and install some samples, maybe he get back its own factory samples but with parameters adapted to his personal ideas, done with the built-in tools available to every user.

Yamaha do much for users who just want to play, but its arrangers do not allow to customize them for one's needs as we can do with Korg arrangers editors for samples and sounds. For this reason for many years I have chosen Korg Arrangers.

On the other hand the supremacy its arranger had over a decade in customizing styleplay features (Cue-mode, Fill-Mode, Velocity-Control etc) in the last five year Korg has lost on my opinion. That is because proven stylePlay features are left or limited in last Pa-series, instead of being a little bit innovative in this area, as can only be observed with competitors (Velocity-Controls, Live-Controls for StyleTracks, Retriggering Main Variation etc).

Korg didn't even manage to activate the "OriginalStyleSound" function for direct access via assignable switches in order to give the live performance a more lively sense of rhythm, instead they even banished the velocity controls of the StylePreferences to the globals and thus limits to one single parameter, which remains usable!
So I hope that Korg does not also reduce the features of the sound processing, but tries to finally update the features lost for the StylePlayer.

I think it should be recognizable that users continue to value and use those tools that allow an arranger keyboard to be adapted to personal needs as has been the case for decades.

Otherwise we will have to come to terms with the fact that simple preset devices are offered with extensive additional offers that can be reloaded and installed as required.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the sounds I downloaded use only factory samples, and one could do the same work himself, but it is somewhat time-consuming, I'm working nearly every night, and leave my gear at the job. Therefore at this time, these edits are valuable to me.
Like you, I'm hoping Korg pays more attention to these points you have made.
I really miss the PA4X, but my aging fingers can't handle the heavier key bed any more.
It seems that after having the Covid 19, the situation with my fingers has worsened. Hoping it gets better again, but it's been four months and hasn't yet.
Thanks for all you do my friend.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Note my prior post.

The Op does not have his PA1000, he returned it and bought a second hand T5.

Hence comments will not resolve his issues but do provide information to others.

Stay safe.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 Acoustic & Nylon Guitars required Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
... Do Note my prior post. The Op does not have his PA1000, he returned it and bought a second hand T5.
Hence comments will not resolve his issues but do provide information to others ....

Your criticism of comments is not only irrelevant, but also does not help to resolve the OPs issues.
There also will be users of Pa-arranger and returned a T5.
So what do you intend to do with your message? If you and the OP think the factory samples are of poor quality, why you did not YOU help the OP in August 2019?
Also webinars - as often recommended by you here is not sufficient enough for this.
I think again you are confusing cause and effect once more, because it is legitimate to comment on how and what caused problems.
Like Reuben and Fransman I think the actual factory samples are of high quality and it would be better trying to understand editors parameters and to accept what you can do with them. And like Anthony I think that samples are not enough to mimic real instruments, but will require sophisticated sound modeling among a lot of samples !
OPs postings confirmed to a newcomers expectation was to simply change a sound with poor samples, without to accept that a Pa-arranger has other features than relatively modest setting options for personalizing a sound and does not limit to use other sounds or samples.

He had this opportunity through the offer from AnthonySharmmann - seems he did not use it and also did not use the second option of personalizing his sounds by using the tools available in the Pa keyboards (sound editor, sampler, effects) himself or at least dealing with it.

However, this is not a reproach to the OP, but simply a fact that tools that can be programmed and parameterized accordingly require a long learning phase.
But it is also a fact that these two possibilities exist with Korg Arranger and that these two solutions are available. For competitors who do not offer extensive editing options for personalizing sounds, there is only the solution to be satisfied or to buy new sounds.
I think it is necessary to point out that Korg should continue to deliver its arrangers with tools that offer comprehensive personalization of the instrument with detailed customization options, instead of dismantling and reducing functions. It should not come to the point where you solely are dependent and forced to buy additional software, if you are not satisfied with the factory settings of an instrument out-of-box.

My comments that Korg should not also reduce the features for the sound processing for these reasons are not unjustified, but have a real background - this can be commented on factually with the reference to the StylePlay functions.

Styleplay features should bring some life into styleplay and a more lively sense of rhythm, but features disappear for each new series or migrate to the globals, so that they are no longer accessible for direct access to control the StylePlayer. It is nice to be able to preprogram many parameters, but Direct access style control is just as important as it is offered from competitors with variable velocity controls, extensive functions for live controls and numerous dynamic controls for the style tracks - also Style preferences be further developed from them.

To enumerate them in detail, neither the space nor the time is enough here - but one thing is undisputed: preprogrammed parameters are not sufficient for the style control. Instead of decimating features, these should be extended and accessible parallel to preprogrammed settings. Functions to be triggered in direct access are essintial instead instead of being hidden behind unreachable globals and submenues.
@Biggles: If you answer, please try to be factual, because I not interesting to deal with personal sensitivities as we have had them several times in the past!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 Acoustic & Nylon Guitars required Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Biggles wrote:
... Do Note my prior post. The Op does not have his PA1000, he returned it and bought a second hand T5.
Hence comments will not resolve his issues but do provide information to others ....

Your criticism of comments is not only irrelevant, but also does not help to resolve the OPs issues.
There also will be users of Pa-arranger and returned a T5.
So what do you intend to do with your message? If you and the OP think the factory samples are of poor quality, why you did not YOU help the OP in August 2019?
Also webinars - as often recommended by you here is not sufficient enough for this.
I think again you are confusing cause and effect once more, because it is legitimate to comment on how and what caused problems.
Like Reuben and Fransman I think the actual factory samples are of high quality and it would be better trying to understand editors parameters and to accept what you can do with them. And like Anthony I think that samples are not enough to mimic real instruments, but will require sophisticated sound modeling among a lot of samples !
OPs postings confirmed to a newcomers expectation was to simply change a sound with poor samples, without to accept that a Pa-arranger has other features than relatively modest setting options for personalizing a sound and does not limit to use other sounds or samples.

He had this opportunity through the offer from AnthonySharmmann - seems he did not use it and also did not use the second option of personalizing his sounds by using the tools available in the Pa keyboards (sound editor, sampler, effects) himself or at least dealing with it.

However, this is not a reproach to the OP, but simply a fact that tools that can be programmed and parameterized accordingly require a long learning phase.
But it is also a fact that these two possibilities exist with Korg Arranger and that these two solutions are available. For competitors who do not offer extensive editing options for personalizing sounds, there is only the solution to be satisfied or to buy new sounds.
I think it is necessary to point out that Korg should continue to deliver its arrangers with tools that offer comprehensive personalization of the instrument with detailed customization options, instead of dismantling and reducing functions. It should not come to the point where you solely are dependent and forced to buy additional software, if you are not satisfied with the factory settings of an instrument out-of-box.

My comments that Korg should not also reduce the features for the sound processing for these reasons are not unjustified, but have a real background - this can be commented on factually with the reference to the StylePlay functions.

Styleplay features should bring some life into styleplay and a more lively sense of rhythm, but features disappear for each new series or migrate to the globals, so that they are no longer accessible for direct access to control the StylePlayer. It is nice to be able to preprogram many parameters, but Direct access style control is just as important as it is offered from competitors with variable velocity controls, extensive functions for live controls and numerous dynamic controls for the style tracks - also Style preferences be further developed from them.

To enumerate them in detail, neither the space nor the time is enough here - but one thing is undisputed: preprogrammed parameters are not sufficient for the style control. Instead of decimating features, these should be extended and accessible parallel to preprogrammed settings. Functions to be triggered in direct access are essintial instead instead of being hidden behind unreachable globals and submenues.
@Biggles: If you answer, please try to be factual, because I not interesting to deal with personal sensitivities as we have had them several times in the past!

You really need to get a grip with your English

There was no critism stated at all in my post.

I always fail to understand why a simple post results in you writing a response as long as War & Piece.

You are commenting on a thread where the original creator of the thread no longer owns a Korg PA so in effect you are wasting your time if you think that your post is helping GWC the thread creator.

GWC's issues was resolved via private eMails between him and myself, Months later but before the Christmas season he eMailed me to say he is still enjoying his Yamaha T5
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 Acoustic & Nylon Guitars required Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
.. You really need to get a grip with your English.
There was no critism stated at all in my post. ...

Hallo Biggles,
I apologize for wrongly accusing you of criticizing your comments and you are right, that I need to get a grip with my English (and my electronic translateur).
For me that will not be successful, because after a my few years of English in school - which was more than 60 years ago - my fragmentary English skills will hardly improve through occassionally contact with English-languaged keyboard forums.
But also seems something with your own English knowledges seems to be wrong or you did not really read my postings.
You are right that OPs posting is from Aug 2019, but there was DonM's posting, who took his opportunity to thank Reuben on Fri Jan 08, 2021 for sounds, which he found in a link of this old postings.

Posting of DonM from Fri Jan 08 2021 put this old thread in first place from the Pa1000 section, which I unfortunately overlooked in my posting from the same day and only recognized after submitting it, so I immediately apologized for it (I think you missed that or didn't want to understand).

This posting from me was not an immediate response to GWC, but general comments on this topic and therefore regardless of whether the OP still had his pa-arranger or not. But you should have understood that with your knowledge of English and, to be fair, you shouldn't assume that I was wasting my time, because general comments to a general problem is not exclusively related to the OP personally.

I also apologized for my mistakes, so that following postings continued between me and DonM - and in this context I think your posting between us was irrelevant.
If you fail to understand something - same happens to me, so that I asked you once to be factual, because I don't see the problem with this topic in the fact that a newcomer was dissatisfied with the sounds and therefore returned his keyboard. Rather, this is a recurring process that often happens especially to newcomers with bad expectations, with which they incorrectly interpret the extensive and comprehensive editing options of a Pa keyboard in such a way, that these tools should deliver the expected results with a single push of a button.

However, this is not the case and a technical comment on this is allowed even with poor knowledge of English and without your consent, even if the OP is no longer personally affected.
So what did I intend with my message on this subject?
On my opinion it is not necessary to limit edit functions in case newcomers are not willing to learn how to use them or to accept, that samples are not enough to mimic real instruments but requires sophisticated sound modeling amon a lot of samples (as already mentioned by Anthony and Reuben).

So what do you intend to do with your message?
It is not necessary to comment something in War & Piece manner here, because OP creator no longer owns a Korg but is in private eMail with you - it now is duly accepted.
PS: Maybe I should get a grip with my English but at least I think not to be irrelevant or to be as long as War & Piece.
And sometimes I think it is more important to recognize what is intended with a languages words without their empty phrases.

Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 Acoustic & Nylon Guitars required Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Biggles wrote:
.. You really need to get a grip with your English.
There was no critism stated at all in my post. ...

Hallo Biggles,
I apologize for wrongly accusing you of criticizing your comments and you are right, that I need to get a grip with my English (and my electronic translateur).
For me that will not be successful, because after a my few years of English in school - which was more than 60 years ago - my fragmentary English skills will hardly improve through occassionally contact with English-languaged keyboard forums.
But also seems something with your own English knowledges seems to be wrong or you did not really read my postings.
You are right that OPs posting is from Aug 2019, but there was DonM's posting, who took his opportunity to thank Reuben on Fri Jan 08, 2021 for sounds, which he found in a link of this old postings.

Posting of DonM from Fri Jan 08 2021 put this old thread in first place from the Pa1000 section, which I unfortunately overlooked in my posting from the same day and only recognized after submitting it, so I immediately apologized for it (I think you missed that or didn't want to understand).

This posting from me was not an immediate response to GWC, but general comments on this topic and therefore regardless of whether the OP still had his pa-arranger or not. But you should have understood that with your knowledge of English and, to be fair, you shouldn't assume that I was wasting my time, because general comments to a general problem is not exclusively related to the OP personally.

I also apologized for my mistakes, so that following postings continued between me and DonM - and in this context I think your posting between us was irrelevant.
If you fail to understand something - same happens to me, so that I asked you once to be factual, because I don't see the problem with this topic in the fact that a newcomer was dissatisfied with the sounds and therefore returned his keyboard. Rather, this is a recurring process that often happens especially to newcomers with bad expectations, with which they incorrectly interpret the extensive and comprehensive editing options of a Pa keyboard in such a way, that these tools should deliver the expected results with a single push of a button.

However, this is not the case and a technical comment on this is allowed even with poor knowledge of English and without your consent, even if the OP is no longer personally affected.
So what did I intend with my message on this subject?
On my opinion it is not necessary to limit edit functions in case newcomers are not willing to learn how to use them or to accept, that samples are not enough to mimic real instruments but requires sophisticated sound modeling amon a lot of samples (as already mentioned by Anthony and Reuben).

So what do you intend to do with your message?
It is not necessary to comment something in War & Piece manner here, because OP creator no longer owns a Korg but is in private eMail with you - it now is duly accepted.
PS: Maybe I should get a grip with my English but at least I think not to be irrelevant or to be as long as War & Piece.
And sometimes I think it is more important to recognize what is intended with a languages words without their empty phrases.

Apology accepted.

Stay safe
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 Acoustic & Nylon Guitars required Please Reply with quote

gwc uk wrote:
Pa1000. New Pa 3 days. I'm have difficulty coming to terms with factory Acoustic Guitars, can't believe how poor they are, so wanting samples to download & install Please.

Any help appreciated.

Pls check you,r PM!

Wink

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since others have posted on this older thread, I figured that I would as well.

I think that it is fun to read these older comments and also the newer ones.

Yes, the OP has gone onto a Tyros 5, and returned his PA1000. This we all know. He did not like the guitar samples on the PA1000 and returned it. That is too bad.

I really think that the samples are good for almost every sound in the PA series. The only exception to that, in my experience, is the main piano sound. Since I have the PA700, maybe that is not true with the other PA models on offer. I know that the stock piano sounds on my PA700 are not bright and lively enough for my tastes.

I fixed that problem by installing the Yamaha C5 Piano pack from Reuben. It immediately fixed my problems in that department.

I use the guitars quite a lot on my PA700, in both live playing/soloing AND in the sequencer for lead and backing parts. I have also installed Reuben's guitar sounds into my sample area of the PA700 and have modified a couple of them to suit my tastes.

In my experience with arrangers and other synths, the HARDEST part of playing any given instrument is articulating the sounds convincingly. We take for granted the playing of piano and EP sounds because we are keyboard players. I imagine that most of us would do just as well on an acoustic piano as we do on our electric keyboard counterparts.

If we played the guitar sounds as a guitar player might, maybe all of these guitar sounds would be more pleasing to us. Maybe that is where Yamaha has the edge because the nuances seem to translate better during live playing than they do on a Korg. When I play an acoustic guitar sound on the PA700 I hear some fret and string noises, but they are somewhat less than how I would really play a real acoustic guitar (which I also play). The same also applies when I am 'strumming' an electric guitar sound on the PA700. The up/down strum action is different and to my knowledge, the ONLY guitar that takes that into account on my PA700 is a Strat sound that features both up and down strum samples.

I do not think that it is fair to say that the keyboard should do these things for us. I believe that takes a lot of math in order for the keyboard to figure out what we are playing and try to translate it. I know that Roland has the SuperNatural stuff going on, but its implementation is a bit spotty for some sounds, guitars included. If we articulate the sounds we are playing the mindset of the instrument that we are playing, maybe our sounds would be more convincing.

In my experience, one of the hardest songs to accurately play guitar on is 'Another Brick in the Wall - Part II' from Pink Floyd. That signature rhythm Strat strum that David Gilmour is playing is VERY difficult to play on our keyboards. It almost always comes out sounding electronic. The nuances of playing that strum pattern convincingly is difficult. Sure, we can get the tone pretty close, but the actual PLAYING of that part is very difficult. It is something that I am still working on. Even sequencing it is difficult.

Maybe this is where the Guitar Mode feature in our arrangers comes in. For a strum, the Guitar Mode is really spot on.

I wish that the strum mode could be activated in sequencer mode. Maybe it can, but I seemed to have missed where/how to implement it.

I use the sequencer A LOT on my PA700. I have programmed well over 350 sequences in it and adding more each week. My intent is to use these for a trio that I am putting together where we are basically a variety group that plays almost any style of music. That includes ballads, acoustic numbers, rock, and even hard rock.

One of the hurdles for me has been to get convincing distorted rhythm guitar parts, i.e. power chord strums and chugs. The EFX do a pretty good job at adding the crunch, but they could be better. I know that if I grab my Strat and chug some power chords, it is more convincing. My EFX for my Strat are easy; I use the Roland VG-8 modeler. Since I play keys much better than guitar, I would prefer to use my keyboard to do this.

With that said, I have no problem playing 'Workin' For The Weekend' by Loverboy or 'Rainbow In The Dark' from Dio on my PA700. I also do A LOT of Journey and they, for the most part, come across pretty well. Keep in mind that I am still using a Korg M50 for most of my lead guitar sounds (until I buy another PA700 to take over that duty). The M50 does not have any of the DNC sounds for the guitar sounds like the PA700 does. The M50 does not do slides, etc. that I take for granted on the PA700. I have programmed a 'slide' emulation on the lead guitar sounds by adjusting the pitch during the 'key on' on the M50. It approximates it but is CLEARLY not a dedicated sample sound. I also cannot figure out how to trigger those types of samples from the buttons above the joystick on the M50 either...

The EFX section of the M50 is actually better than on the PA700 because I can have up to 5 IFX on the M50 and the PA700 only allows for 1 or 2. In a sequence, it is easy to see how rhythm guitar stuff in the sequence could use 2 (in EFX A) and that leaves only 1 insert effect in EFX B.

I had a problem with triggering external MIDI from the sequencer and siebenhirter helped me to use my sequences in Song Mode and that took care of the problem. I trigger an external drum machine to bolster my drum sounds on the PA700. I may also start using the M50 (or whatever keyboard) to layer over the sounds being used in the PA700 for the sequences. I have yet to do that, simply because of the enormity of programming 350+ new sound templates on the M50... and the M50 only allows for up to 128 templates in the sequencer mode anyway...

While I have written a novel here (not uncommon for me), it is in this novel that I hope that some of my experience with the PA series can help others. I think that, by and large, that is what we ALL are trying to do here in this forum.

While my entry here may not be technically as long as 'War and Peace', it is still a long read Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: