Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Keys: what functionality could be improved ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Volca Keys: what functionality could be improved ? Reply with quote

just a quick poll of ideas, things you find frustrating etc. that could be improved.

-would be nice to transpose sequences once they are written.

-to RECORD velocity into the pattern, from external midi.

Last edited by ShoNuff on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it to have some more memory.

And is there a way to record chords in the sequencer? The V. Keys has three voices...
LM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being able to transpose sequences is probably the feature that I miss the most. That would make the Keys, Bass and FM a lot more fun to play.

MeneerJansen wrote:

And is there a way to record chords in the sequencer? The V. Keys has three voices...

To record chords on the Keys all you have to do is... play chords while recording (in Poly mode, obviously).
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM wrote:
Not being able to transpose sequences is probably the feature that I miss the most. That would make the Keys, Bass and FM a lot more fun to play.

MeneerJansen wrote:

To record chords on the Keys all you have to do is... play chords while recording (in Poly mode, obviously).

[sorry for the off topic] Won't it simply record three steps then?
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeneerJansen wrote:

[sorry for the off topic] Won't it simply record three steps then?

sure, it will. and do 3-note chords. you've read the manual, yeah? Wink
it does 3-note chords with sawtooth in 'Poly' setting. nothing very magical here, tbh.
if you plug a midi keyboard in, you'll have more joy. (joy being relative here: it's fairly limited, and no complex chords possible)

you can do 3-step arpeggios - or chord sequences - using Active Step, or just with full length - here's the thing: it doesn't snap to quantised values. which is bad/good depending on how you look at it. there is a 'Flux' mode, which gives the chance to get more notes in per step. it's quite weird really.

one thing i like doing is doing a more organised sequence on a DAW or other sequencer, and getting the Keys to record that. at least it comes out sort of quantised then.

anyway: this is one area where Keys could be improved. not sure quite what yet.

and here's the thing: if you look on Korg's site: no Keys firmware to download. as of last couple of weeks however, someone has extracted the firmware, and a couple of whizzes, namely pajen, are able to decipher the firmware. so there is hope (if he can be a***d, or has enthusiasm to) that, one day, Keys might have an improved spec'.

taking it as it is, limitations and all, it is still, within it's sound range, a useful little sound module that responds to midiCC for nearly all parameters. it has often surprised me - i do get a bit frustrated by some things it doesn't do, but then, on the right day, it can give something nice too - except you usually can't go much further with it at that point. nevertheless, i've done a few things, where it's just the Keys, doing something simple (with Poly Ring used as a monosynth), sounding nice and vibey.

tbh i have a few other things that can do polysynth, better than it ever will, so i'm not looking for too much on that front. i have one or two ideas for it - as it is- that i havnt explored yet, and want to fit a midi out to it when i have time and the right minijack sockets (most are too high to fit in the bottom of the case).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: