Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROLAND JUPITER X
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: ROLAND JUPITER X Reply with quote

https://www.gearnews.com/roland-announce-jupiter-x-flagship-synthesizer-and-jupiter-xm-sidekick/
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The promotion video for the Jupiter Xm on the Roland page is just crap, with zero helpful sound demoing, and a synth demo buried in a crowded nonsense guitar mix. i guess that three cheesy, dreadful sounding lead notes, heard at one point in a really bad mix, are not quite what would impress anyone to get interested in this synth.

You can guess absolutely nothing about it's sound character and sound quality from that. My suspicion is it just contains the kinown boutique sounds (inluding their latest Juno boutique) repackaged. And that would be neither too bad nor impressive: just a mediocre VA more in the market.

And at a price where you get really interesting analog polys meanwhile.
Devnor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop with the useless negativity Jim.

Jupiter X looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to hear the real demos.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only useles thing to me here is a synth presentation without presenting it's sound character and demoing it in use at all. This presentation might be usefull as teaser long before release at best.

Concerning the synth: it's not about how good it may look to you. Smile
I guess for most of us it's rather about two things:
a) - sound character and sound flexibility.
b) - functionality

Instead of presenting both in any halfway meaningful way, while announcing the synth, we see this utterly pointless Roland teaser. So far concerning "useless"...
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: jX updated Reply with quote

jX updated info at roland site
https://www.roland.com/global/products/jupiter-x/features/
well it looks to be a clone of the J8 and loads of other analog units...

soooo will it be better than the J80???
or the integra7???

I my self would rather have 2 I7 units.....
and still have a few bucks left for a good controller...

5 parts....
and looks like they nailed the memory issue as well as scene issue...
lets see how the final version works out on real user memory space...

I would love to see an expansion for this as a rack unit!!
and a larger key bed!!
a 88 key synth action bed would be cool to see!!and that would pry open my hands to spend the bucks too!!
think of the multi zone splits you could do on an 88 bed!!
61 key bed.... kinda small for me....
76 would to have been my min choice....

yea plug in expansion as a rack unit would be cool for this!!
although the I7 would midi into this chain ok!!

I think the thought is it is analog with memory!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the Jupiter X do synth wise? The website says the name of the synth engine but doesn’t give specs on filter types, number of oscillators, LFO’s, or EG’s...
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The promotion video for the Jupiter Xm on the Roland page is just crap, with zero helpful sound demoing, and a synth demo buried in a crowded nonsense guitar mix. i guess that three cheesy, dreadful sounding lead notes, heard at one point in a really bad mix, are not quite what would impress anyone to get interested in this synth.

You can guess absolutely nothing about it's sound character and sound quality from that. My suspicion is it just contains the known boutique sounds (including their latest Juno boutique) repackaged. And that would be neither too bad nor impressive: just a mediocre VA more in the market.

Hear, Hear!

But the company is praising its arpeggiator, so we will continue to see 1-note players thinking they're the reincarnation of Keith Emerson.

..Joe
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:

But the company is praising its arpeggiator, so we will continue to see 1-note players thinking they're the reincarnation of Keith Emerson.

Korg praised it's arpeggiator too...does that make you a 1 note Keith Emerson too?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

You can guess absolutely nothing about it's sound character and sound quality from that. My suspicion is it just contains the known boutique sounds (including their latest Juno boutique) repackaged. And that would be neither too bad nor impressive: just a mediocre VA more in the market.

Hear, Hear!

..Joe

Just a side note makes me wonder if the Fantom also has this same arpeggiator?

Both jup and Fantom have the same zen-core engine, so will they have the exact same sound potential? Seems the Jupiter is like a single zone of the Fantom, with 4 partials.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arps are de rigour these days. All synths have an arp function it seems, what we need is at least bi-timbrel functionality and split keyboard mapping of programs to allow for arp/chords two-handed action. It seems that the Jupiter-X will be 5 voice multitimbrel (if I interpret their "5-part" spec correctly) and I'd like to think they've included split-keyboard function also. Now if only they put a D-Beam into it, the player could do the whole two-handed chord thing and thrash their head around over a laser sensor to modulate the sounds (a reason to be a long-haired synth player again)!

I have to commend Roland for trying to push forwards with their ever-evolving synthesis engines, but it's kinda sad they need to wrap them in the liveries of their past glories. I wish the specs on their site offered a little more insight into the synth architecture, even if it is "just another VA", such as the waves that are on offer for the sculpting.

edit: I suppose the new Fantom is a wonderful way to sell their new tech, which leads me to think that these new Jupiters are more like bare-bones versions of their workstation.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here

Last edited by megamarkd on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
RKfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter X has speakers....
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: well the smaller mobile unit has speakers maybe Reply with quote

well the smaller mobile unit has speakers maybe
they also could be cooling fan grills...
hard to say till the final version ships and manuals are out by roland.

the heck of it is now days
most of the synths are just small computers...
with knob and gui (graphic user interface touch screen) so is this just a partial analog?
looks to be from what I read...
not that a hybrid unit is a bad thing...
I think it is the best of both worlds...
it is what we dreamed of back in the late 1960's to have full presets of synth sounds...

if you think about it...
all music these days is digital...
at least on radio, tv, cd, dvd…
it is all algorithm compressed and reproduced...
not like the early 1970's when every thing was real analog...

so what we really need is a digital unit that has all the sound modifiers
to make "dirty" music...
tube units were all about the "warm sound" or distortions of perfect sounds.
that is what makes "flavor" of the old music..

yea we can make clipping, with silicone and other simi conductors..
but it is not the same as what happens with a "glass valve" or tube..
then there are speakers...
most have rediscovered that pulp or paper and cloth mix has some of the reproduction errors we all love!

yea a few folks have made plug ins to help with making some of these errors
and there are a few rack units for sound flavor as well...

time will tell on all this hybrid gear...
is it good or a waste of time and resources??

if it keeps making you interested in making new music..
then I think it is a good thing!!
but if it is just the next fad...
I would save your money for some classic gear....

kinda like the new cars...
yea I do not just buy one every year to get the next new thing...
but in the next 10 to 20 years big changes are on the way!!

entertainment industry will always be there...
it is a distraction of day to day life...
and these days it is a good thing!!

and if you can make a few bucks at it even better!!

just a few thoughts!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
RKfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Speakers Reply with quote

https://www.roland.com/us/products/jupiter-xm/specifications/

Full range (3.5 x 8 cm) x 2
Tweeter 2 cm x 2
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:
https://www.roland.com/us/products/jupiter-xm/specifications/

Full range (3.5 x 8 cm) x 2
Tweeter 2 cm x 2

I know, what the naming is supposed to mean, but:
"Full range", really?
Perhaps even my iPad Pro has "full range" speakers, and I just didn't notice? Smile
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
What does the Jupiter X do synth wise? The website says the name of the synth engine but doesn’t give specs on filter types, number of oscillators, LFO’s, or EG’s...

At a minimum, it emulates the architecture and sound of Jupiter 8, Juno-106, SH-101, JX-8P, XV-5080 (rompler style). Also pianos (at least) from the RD-700GX, and drum machine (incl. TR-808, TR-909, and CR-78 emulations). You can combine up to 4 synth patches (whether from the same emulation or from different emulations) plus a drum set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: