Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi files not loading PA 700

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnubass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Midi files not loading PA 700 Reply with quote

I am trying to load midi files from a usb flash drive to my pa700, however I am getting an error message: can't open file or load failed.
Any advice appreciated.

Using OS 1.40
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi files not loading PA 700 Reply with quote

johnubass wrote:
I am trying to load midi files from a usb flash drive to my pa700, however I am getting an error message: can't open file or load failed.
Any advice appreciated.

Using OS 1.40

Are you trying to load it from the Sequence Page (i.e. - hitting the sequence button at the top)? If you do that, you will be able to select which source drive has your file(s) stored and then you can select it from there. If your file is in a folder, then you will need to also open the folder that contains the .MID file in order to load it into the sequencer.

You may also want to make sure that it has the .mid extension on it or else the PA700 will not know it is a loadable file. you can easily check this on your computer.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC

Last edited by Musicwithharry on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnubass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for your reply Harry, Yes I am loading from sequencer and all the files have the correct ext .mid I have also tried loading from song mode and still get an error. I have tried a factory reset but I am unable to load any midi files. I think it must be a fault on my keyboard.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I do not think they will load in Song mode anyway...

I would try a different MIDI file...even if you just download something from the web from a free MIDI file site...

I would also try copying one of the files from the flash drive to the internal disk on the PA700....then try to load it.

I was working on midi files last night...and have NEVER had a problem unless the file was corrupt somehow...

Does the PA700 see your flash drive? You may need to format it on the PA700 for it to work correctly. I have never had to do this, but Korg does recommend it...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had MIDI files that refuse to be loaded.

One thing you could try is to use the Style Creator Bot on the MIDI to see if the system will create a Style based on the MIDI.

If the error message appears then the data in the MIDI is either corrupt or has incorrect settings applied with the file.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only times that I have had an issue with a MIDI file loading was if it was corrupt somehow. It is weird because even though it would play on a PC (Windows), it would not load int he PA700. This has not happened very often at all.

What HAS happened more frequently, is when I load a MIDI file and it does not sound right. I have to load it in again and then everything is okay.

I convert all of the MIDI files that I use in the PA700 to use the sounds OTHER than the GM sounds it came with. This lessens compatibility with other GM devices trying to play the file, but it gives me better sound because I am using the Factory/Legacy/User sounds instead of the stale GM sounds...

Sometimes I have to load a MIDI file twice to get it to load everything correctly. It is not a problem, and it does not happen terribly often, but it has happened enough to where I can make a note of it.

Grace,
Harry
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the problem be they are trying to "Load" them rather than Play them.
Midi files are never Loaded (in the sense like loading a set) they are played or copied and you can't use the Load tab. You can only use Copy or Delete.
The way to play them is of course to navigate via Player 1 song name.
Just saying in case this is whats happening.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Could the problem be they are trying to "Load" them rather than Play them.
Midi files are never Loaded (in the sense like loading a set) they are played or copied and you can't use the Load tab. You can only use Copy or Delete.
The way to play them is of course to navigate via Player 1 song name.
Just saying in case this is whats happening.

Maybe so...

I load them into my PA700 all the time and modify them. I have been doing that today, as a matter of fact. I add to them, change the instruments for each track, delete the melody track, etc... and have never really had an issue unless the file was corrupt.

I do check the files on my PC (Windows 10) before copying them to a flash drive and loading them into the PA700 for modification.

I am not sure exactly what the OP's issue really is.

OP - maybe you could e-mail one of the files to me and I could test its integrity on my PC and PA700...

I have well over 160 MIDI files that have been modified on my PA700 and never really have any issues (except for the occasional incorrect loading of instruments that I documented earlier...). I simply load the file again and all is well...

Grace,
Harry
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had someone mail be about 12 MIDI files and only two would play on my 700.

I have no idea what was wrong with them as my MIDI knowledge is not very extensive.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:

I have no idea what was wrong with them as my MIDI knowledge is not very extensive.

I have been working with MIDI files for a LONG time, but only fairly recently have actually dove into them to see how they are created and how they manipulate sound/playback.

I find that when I load a MIDI file to be modified (even the professional ones created for purchase) there is a lot of stuff to be done before it works really well in the PA700 (with regard to Factory/Legacy/User instruments).

I find that I have to delete all of the program and control information from each track in order to get it to keep the changed instruments I want them to be. Unless there are volume controls in the track, I usually delete everything else.

Since I do not plan to use these files in anything other than the PA700, I feel comfy in deleting all of this extra information. In fact, when I view the Master Track, I usually have to change the key of the song because in most cases, they have it wrong...

Grace,
Harry
johnubass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies, I reformatted the usb stick today and that seems to have solved the problem. Midi files now working.
Thanks again.
John
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnubass wrote:
Thank you for all the replies, I reformatted the usb stick today and that seems to have solved the problem. Midi files now working.
Thanks again.
John

I am glad that you were able to get it worked out.

What type of MIDI files are you using? There is another thread in here that we were talking about sharing our MIDI files... I have yet been able to send all of mine over - I have been too busy and now, after I have added quite a few more, would need to update it anyway Smile

Grace,
Harry
johnubass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a few Harry that I have taken from various free websites, most have required changes to instruments. I have tried a couple of conversion to styles but they need a fair bit of work as you say, however it is a very useful feature.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnubass wrote:
I only have a few Harry that I have taken from various free websites, most have required changes to instruments. I have tried a couple of conversion to styles but they need a fair bit of work as you say, however it is a very useful feature.

I understand Smile I can tell you that EVERY MIDI file that I have, whether I paid for it or not, has needed instrument changes for every track. They were not made specifically for the PA700 and this meant that they were just triggering normal GM sounds.

Some of the free files were pretty badly created and I had to add measures, delete measures, etc...

There are some websites (they also post their file packs on eBay) that are made more specifically for different models, the PA700 included. They cost more money and so it is worth it for me to modify the free stuff.

I have bought 4-5 files individually, as well as had a membership to a website, out of the UK, for a time and was able to download A LOT of files during this time. Again, I had to modify EVERY file.

I would normally program my own files, as I am very thorough in creating cover songs, but I found it much easier to modify existing files to my tastes. I love how technology can work for us Smile

With regard to the Style Bot Creator, I have had little success using it. I would say that I only have been able to get about 3-5 MIDI files turned into styles that I could actually use. Even then, I had to change the programs to work with PA700 Factory/Legacy/User sounds instead of just GM stuff.

If you like, I would be happy to post my MIDI files in a Google Drive folder, but it will have to be later today after I am finished performing. They should work just fine, and aside from the custom sounds I created, most of the sounds should line up, because I have tried to keep every instrument that I use within the Factory/Legacy bank.

The exceptions are my lead sounds for the different songs; I have created custom lead patches for these. Another exception would be the piano sounds. There is a Yamaha C5 sample pack offered in these forums from Reuben and I have loaded the samples (and corresponding programs) into my PA700. The programs are in User Bank 4 on my machine. His piano samples are MUCH better than the factory resources that Korg offers for pianos.

Grace,
Harry
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
Biggles wrote:

I have been working with MIDI files for a LONG time, but only fairly recently have actually dove into them to see how they are created and how they manipulate sound/playback.

I find that when I load a MIDI file to be modified (even the professional ones created for purchase) there is a lot of stuff to be done before it works really well in the PA700 (with regard to Factory/Legacy/User instruments).

I find that I have to delete all of the program and control information from each track in order to get it to keep the changed instruments I want them to be. Unless there are volume controls in the track, I usually delete everything else.

Since I do not plan to use these files in anything other than the PA700, I feel comfy in deleting all of this extra information. In fact, when I view the Master Track, I usually have to change the key of the song because in most cases, they have it wrong...

Grace,
Harry

Thankyou for the information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: