Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross 1 PCG files on the Kross 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stargazer520

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Kross 1 PCG files on the Kross 2 Reply with quote

So I just upgraded my Kross 1 to a Kross 2, after extensive communication with various music stores, including Sweetwater, as well as Korg Support reps. I was concerned about the compatibility of the K1's PCG files with the K2. I like the additional features of the K2, so I thought I could upgrade and still use all of my programs and combis from the past 4 years. Every one of these people I spoke to or e-mailed told me the same thing: "Yes, the K1 Programs and Combis will install in the K2." Well, that response, I just discovered, was very well-crafted. Sure, they'll install in the K2 just fine (making sure the PCG files are in the "Data" folder of the "Kross2" directory on the SD card), but the Combis won't work!!! This is exactly what I was afraid of, and a specific question I asked Korg before purchasing the K2. I described my concern of the Program indexing (for lack of a better term) on the K2 being different than the K1. I was pretty sure a K1 User Program bank would load just fine in the K2. I was more concerned with all of the Program references within the Combi timbers. My K1 Combis would have to be able to "find" the Programs in those User Bank slots in the same indexed locations they were on the K1.

Although I never received a direct answer to this concern, every rep responded with some version of, "no problem". Well, it's a HUGE problem. I'll have to edit every Combi in my 4 PCG files so that the timbers can properly reference the correct Programs. I should have gone with my gut, but instead trusted the "expertise" of Sweetwater and the Korg reps. Still awaiting a response from Korg. I can already hear their answer. Sad

I'll post back if I hear anything positive.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that you are having issues.

There are a few threads (more than a few, probably) that ask the same question you did.

The Combis will probably load but they will not point to the right sounds, because the sounds are arranged differently in the K2 versus the K1. I am not sure if the EFX are exactly the same or not, but maybe they will load too.

My understanding of the K2 was that it had more piano sounds and more of other sounds and with such new sounds, they would occupy the spaces where other K1 sounds might have been.

There was a lot of talk in other threads about the sounds on the K2 versus the K1 and the difference.

I still have a K1 and really have no need for a K2 at this point so I am happy with my K1. In fact, I'd love to have another at some point Smile

As with most synths, what we see in the terms of sound picking is that they are done by the sound name (which is what we normally see). What REALLY happens is the sounds are accessed by their program #. We may see this more if we want the synths to change programs for us and we do that by number in the programming (like a XXX.XXX.XXX type format). If you are changing sounds within a sequenced track, you would add a control event (program change) and then offer the parameters for that sound.

I am mainly using a PA700 Arranger for most of my big work (it will talk to the other synths in my studio) and somewhere around the sound name (whatever it is), you will also see the XXX.XXX.XXX format with numbers in it. This is the program number that is associated with the sound. This is what you would use in a sequenced track, or in a preset to choose which sound you wanted to change to when you select that preset.

I hope that this helps a little bit - again, I am sorry that you are having issues. It doesn't matter WHICH company you buy from, many salespeople will usually tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. I am surprised that Sweetwater would do that, as they are usually very knowledgeable about what they sell - but it still happens sometimes.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
FallingSky2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several korg keyboards from the X3 to the Tr61 & just purchased the Korg Kross 2-61 and I have to say its about the best one of the three I've owned. About Midi files, they should load as I have a grip of them but you will have to assign programs and combies to the sequencer files as the KK2-61 has different files for the combies and programs. The audio recorder and effects for vocals on that machine are epic. They did this one right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: